Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-21-2006

Default Guide to Reflections Spray Wax (wet is the key)

By now, the regulars of the forums (me included) have complained quite loudly of reflections spray wax application. I even started a thread mentioning my initial problems with the product, problems that were later solved.

In a separate thread about FX spray wax (started by kbshadow), the author himself had the idea later to use reflections spray wax when the car was wet. kbshadow got good results so I decided to try. Let me admit that I love the look reflections spray wax leaves, but I have been quite vocal about application and smell. So, I tried it and got quite pleased.

Materials used

- Reflections Spray wax
- Microfiber drying towel (not Waffle Weave)
- 3 or more buffing towels

Procedure

1) Wash car normally. By the final rinse try to use slow flow (helpful but not a must).

2) Once car is ready, spray reflections SW directly to the drying towel folded in 4 or 6 (2 pumps are plenty). Start drying car starting from the roof. It will be hard to leave the panel completely dry, and in fact you shouldn't try too hard as you are in fact spreading the wax. The towel will absorb the excess of water, but some will remain and mix with the wax acting as spreading agent for the wax. Do not worry about not leaving panel dry, and focus more on even spreading of the wax.

3) Turn towel to another section, reapply spray wax to the towel and move top next horizontal panel (hood and trunk) again 2 pumps are plenty.

4) Move to the vertical panels. Once the towel gets saturated with water, wring it out. By now, one pump per panel is plenty

5) Once the wax has been completely applied to the car, the roof should have already hazed. Get your buffing towels, and start removing the wax. If the wax has not hazed totally in some spots, don't worry, it won't affects the outcome.

6) If a buffing towel gets too wet get another one (remember, we didn't dry completely the car in the spreading of the wax, so very likely nooks and cranies still have water) Wax removal should be extremely easy, as easy as advanced car wax.

7) Enjoy the slickness and look

Comments

- I tried first spreading the wax with a WW... bad idea. Hard to spread the wax uniformily.

- Then, I tried a regular plush MF 16" x 16" (Sonüs blue perl) It did a decent job, but it is too small as I had to wring the water of it 3 times. The almost perfect size is a 16 x 24 (Viking drying towel for example, or any other) The upcoming Mother quick detailing towel at 20 x 24 will be the perfect size. Anything above 20 x 24 is not manageable.

- Being the product so thick, the water helps A LOT to spread it thin. Granted, advanced car wax is more forgiving at removal time, but a foam applicatior also helps it to have thinner coats. Spray wax in a MF was applied usually thicker. On a wet car, less wax is needed, more even coverage is allowed so the final coat is thinner thus removal is easier than on a dry car. This is a key factor for appeal.

- The look, oh the look. The car had Collinite 476S for winter protection. 476S is not billed as a beauty wax, but the paint is well prepped so looked really nice with a lot of metallic flake pop, very glossy and natural look, but not very deep. The car looked handsome but not spectacular. Reflections spray wax immediately looks deeper, shinier and even glossier. The car looks gorgeous. Slickness is also up. Paint preparation is the most important factor, but reflections spray wax shows why the 476S is not billed as beauty wax. RSW genuinely is a beauty wax.

- I obviously was unable to duplicate the results of kbshadow to dry directly without allowing haze because I applied the wax to the towel directly and not to the paint. I didn't try however to spary to towel, spread, turn towel and then remove immediately, so I will try the next time.

- Finally, a suggestion to Mothers. Change the label, and change it NOW to advise that best results are obtained when applied directly to towel, then spread over a wet car. This is the magic combo. We got word that it worked both ways, but nobody at Mothers pointed the fact that application to a wet car is much easier with much less frustration.

Comments welcome.

Alex
Old 01-21-2006

Default Re: Guide to Reflections Spray Wax (wet is the key)

Nice review!
Old 01-22-2006

Great report, Alex.

While reading, I had an idea.

If it can be used wet, in other words, with water, why not simply dilute it in half with water, or add two thirds water and use as a spray like FX?

If I had some I'd experiment myself. It seems that it would solve the viscosity issue as it would spray out of the nozzle, and would remove easier as it would go on very thinly.

What do you think?

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 01-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Great report, Alex.

While reading, I had an idea.

If it can be used wet, in other words, with water, why not simply dilute it in half with water, or add two thirds water and use as a spray like FX?

If I had some I'd experiment myself. It seems that it would solve the viscosity issue as it would spray out of the nozzle, and would remove easier as it would go on very thinly.

What do you think?
I tried it , it does not work, the two do not combine. It repels the water like it does on the car. After I tried it in the bottle I got to thinking that wax and water do not mix.
Old 01-23-2006

While reading, I had an idea. If it can be used wet, in other words, with water, why not simply dilute it in half with water, or add two thirds water and use as a spray like FX?

What do you think?

If that concept was viable, then by that same logic one could water down latex house paint with 2/3 water, and then paint their house for a fraction of the price and no doubt, a lot faster. Problem is that coverage and protection, not to mention sheen or gloss, UV protection, durability, and a host of other properties would be adversely affected.

Mother's is aware of the current application problems with Reflections Spray Wax and in time will no doubt get it right, or at least get it a lot better.

Meanwhile, the suggestions made earlier in this thread seem the most effective with the product currently on the market. Using it as AlexRuiz suggested, one will likely get all of the properties and benefits of the product, which is, after all, why we are buying it.

:-)

Last edited by Legendman; 01-31-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendman
If that concept was viable, then by that same logic one could water down latex house paint with 2/3 water, and then paint their house for a fraction of the price and no doubt, a lot faster. Problem is that coverage and protection, not to mention sheen or gloss, UV protection, durability, and a host of other properties would be adversely affected.
That is correct, but it can be done.

I know my suggestion is wacky, and if it doesn't mix, it doesn't mix. If it did mix, I would expect lower performance (protection, durability) from a diluted product. But I would expect the same, anyway, if its used on a wet surface.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 01-23-2006

I say that after realizing wet application is better, in the worst case just damp the towel if the car is dry.
Old 01-23-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRuiz
I say that after realizing wet application is better, in the worst case just damp the towel if the car is dry.
Good idea, I'm going to try that.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Old 01-23-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
That is correct, but it can be done.

I know my suggestion is wacky, and if it doesn't mix, it doesn't mix. If it did mix, I would expect lower performance (protection, durability) from a diluted product. But I would expect the same, anyway, if its used on a wet surface.
I respectfully beg to differ. I don't think you should expect the same result.

Reflections Spray Wax, in its unadulterated state, was formulated to be used on a wet car. Used as directed, 100% of the wax product is available to be applied to the damp or wet car surface. You should expect all the benefits described on the bottle, except perhaps, the "spray" characteristic, which Mother's has advised is currently being addressed by their chemist and manufacturing people.

Comparing the use of a product expressly formulated for use on a wet or damp car does not equate to diluting the product with water by 2/3 (about 66%).

I think that in this example we are comparing Apples to Kiwis. Both are fruit, but surely not the same thing.

Last edited by Legendman; 02-02-2006 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2006

Well, I can see what both sides are saying, but, for the sake of conversation, let's say that you were able to measure how much water was left on the paint as you applied the wax. Let's say it equalled about a cup (not really sure, just guessing here-different waxes would disperse water differently etc. but just for an example.).
A cup is WAY more than an ounce ( 1 cup = 8 oz. ). I use less than an ounce of the spray wax when doing a car.
If I were to use the spray wax on a dry car, but dilute it at a 2:1 ratio, would not I get a "stronger" or "more concentrated" application of wax on the car, since there is less water introduced in this manner?
Also, just to play "Devil's Advocate," would not your paint analogy be a little misleading, as you didn't mention how applying "pure" paint to a wet house might affect its sheen, gloss, protection, etc.

I don't really know, just thinking out loud.
Old 01-31-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama's Boy
just to play "Devil's Advocate," would not your paint analogy be a little misleading, as you didn't mention how applying "pure" paint to a wet house might affect its sheen, gloss, protection, etc.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges. The analogy was not meant to be that literal -- merely illustrative.

If you followed the directions on the paint can, you would not apply the paint to a surface that wasn't already clean and dry. Reflections Wax has different applications and hence different instructions. Those instructions do not include diluting the product, especially by the amount you propose.

The key is following the manufacturer's instructions. The manufacturers have researched and developed the formula. They have tested it in various ways and determined a specific application procedure (and coverage rate) that will give the results promised. If one materially tinkers with that formula, they run the risk of not achieving the desired results. Thus, by diluting the wax by 2/3 (about 66%), that would invariably affect the product's ability to perform at its full potential.

Will it 'spray' better in a diluted form? Sure. Will it perform -- protect and shine with the same durabilty as the unadulaterated wax? I highly doubt it. Will you then get what you paid for? I don't think so.

Last edited by Legendman; 02-01-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-01-2006

Ok. Well, then, let's look at the part you didn't touch on-the diluting of the wax.

You said:
Quote:
Comparing the use of a product expressly formulated for use on a wet or damp car does not equate to diluting the product by 2/3.
Is not the only difference (other than % dilution) the time at which the dilution takes place? In one example, you add the water before you spray the wax. In the other example, you are adding the water after you spray the wax. In both cases, the wax is being diluted with the water, no?
Old 02-01-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama's Boy
You said:
Is not the only difference (other than % dilution) the time at which the dilution takes place? In one example, you add the water before you spray the wax. In the other example, you are adding the water after you spray the wax. In both cases, the wax is being diluted with the water, no?

I address this question in prior posts. See posts #9 and #11 above. Cheers

Last edited by Legendman; 02-01-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Closed Thread