Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 09-03-2006

Default Reflections Spray Wax Bottle Problem

Does anybody have any suggestions of what I should do? The entire spraying mechanism of my bottle of Reflections Spray Wax became detached from the gray/silver screw-on cap of the bottle. It seems that once it comes off that it is not meant to be put back on.

If Reflections Spray Wax were more liquid-like in consistiency I would just simply pour it into an empty spray bottle. However, it is fairly thick that it seems like I would have a difficult time pouring/putting it into a spray bottle. And, even if I were able to get it all into a spray bottle, it seems like it needs a more heavy-duty type of sprayer because it is so thick.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions that I could try? I would hate to have to thorow it away, because I really like the results that I get from the Reflections Spray Wax. Thanks
Old 09-03-2006
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Reflections Spray Wax Bottle Problem

Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll have another sent to you Tuesday.
Old 09-03-2006

Try a short pour-top cap like what comes on the classic line or PowerPolish or PowerWax... or use a cap from a shampoo bottle or something you have around the house... then you can hopefully get that last bit of "mousse" out of there.
Old 09-03-2006

I guess Forrest has an even better idea!
Old 09-03-2006

Thanks Forrest & Jim!
Old 09-03-2006

Gentlemen.

It always amazes me how another person's adversity always makes us think.

So, to SVTContour, I'm sorry that your spraying mechanism detached itself from the top of the bottle.

However, it made me think and then to try something out.

Aware as I am of the somewhat minor problem with Reflections Spray Wax, and one that, for me anyway, in no way detracts from the results that the product gives, I tried to find a resolution, so that if the problem recurs, then the person it happens to may have a resolution somewhat less drastic than having to wait for the bottle to be replaced, and I'm sure SVTContour is pleased with the speedy resolution from Forrest on that front.

So, I looked at my 'red bottle', and thought about it for a while. I can see that the Reflections product in that bottle is quite thick indeed, so I thought that if the product was warmed a little, it might flow more easily.

I remember reading in the Archives that the paste wax sometimes cracks, and even freezes, and that some people have resorted to melting the wax and then allowing it to 're-set' back to its original paste consistency. Forrest and others from within the Mothers Company advised against this as it would (not could) alter the makeup of the product.

Keeping that in mind, I decided not to actually melt the product, but to just warm it over, so to speak.
I filled a bucket with hot water and rested the 'red bottle' in this for about four to five minutes.
I then shook the 'red bottle' vigourously, and then decanted it from the 'red bottle' into another spray bottle, and it actually flowed from one bottle to the other, something that could not be achieved in its original state.

I then shook the new spray bottle quite vigourously, tried to spray the product from its new bottle, and it worked quite well. Unwilling to let it rest at this, I allowed the Reflections to cool somewhat back to its original thicker state, and tried to spray it again. In its thicker state, it was again a little more difficult to spray.

So, it would seem to me that the product flows a little more easily when warmed, and here I would like to stress that I have only warmed the product, not melted it.

So, in future, I might just rest the Reflections in some warm water prior to using it, whilst I'm washing the car. Then I'll spray the wax on during the final rinse, now that I'm confident enough to use it on a wet car.

Also, I would like to stress that this resolution would apply only for situations similar to that of SVTContour, where the mechanism broke and he wished to save the product, because it is such a good product.

Having said that, I suppose I've really opened 'Pandora's Box' then, haven't I?
So, to all those within the Mother's Company, I apologise for bringing up this subject again, and I feel sure that the same might apply for this product as it does for the melting of the frozen wax. Anyway, he says, somewhat mischeviously, 'It's probably academic, anyway.'

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Closed Thread