Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-02-2006

Question Proper Use of FX Spray Wax/Detailer

I'm a big fan of this product and use it often with very good results. Still, I am tad confused as to its dual function as a spray wax and a detailer. I also have a question about the best approach for application methods.

Generally, I only use it on a freshly washed car, or a car with just a minimum of airborne dust, say 2-3 days worth (worthy of a once over with a California Car Duster); anymore than that and I will break out the California Gold Instant Detailer spray and clean the car well before going over it with the FX Spray wax.

What I want to know is this: what would be 'ideal' in terms of application, especially as regards how long to wait before the drying wipe down --- after you have sprayed the paint surface (with FX spray) and wiped it the first time, using a dampened (with FX spray) microfiber towel? This assumes performing this in the cool shade or in the garage on a car that is cool to the touch.

I've been waiting about 5 to 7 seconds (give or take, as I am not timing it) for the wetly wiped wax to dwell and haze, then following with a separate, clean, dry microfiber towel for the final drying wipe down. Does that sound about right or is there a better way to go?

Also, to what extent is FX Spray a true detailing spray -- as in a traditional "Instant Detailer" which cleans and brightens but adds no wax? Would it be fair to say that FX's first job is to boost your existing wax job, or take the place of a traditional wax job, before it's role as a "speed detailer"? And by "detailer" was MOTHERS thinking first about appearance, high gloss and protection -- as opposed to any real cleaning function, or does it have a true cleaning component as well?

Thanks!

Last edited by Legendman; 11-02-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2006

Default Re: Proper Use of FX Spray Wax/Detailer

I use the FX Spray Wax as a wax booster, and I use Showtime as a detailer.

Some people like to use the FXSW as a detailer, but to me, Showtime is better suited for that task (cleaning bugs, dust, bird droppings, etc.)

FXSW works well as a wax booster. I use it after washes and in between full wax jobs. It helps my wax last longer. FXSW can be used as a stand alone wax product, but in my experience, I only get about two to three weeks of protection. Therefore, I think that it is best suited for a booster.

Regarding application, I use a microfiber polishing towel folded into quarters. I work in the shade on one panel at a time. I mist the FXSW on the panel, and then wipe the panel with the towel. I then move on to another panel. If the product starts to streak upon removal, it is time to get another clean towel. After I have been over the entire vehicle, I generally take a clean towel and lightly go over the entire vehicle again to ensure all the product has been buffed off. Within about 10 to 15 minutes, the vehicle looks like it has been just waxed and has some added protection.

In a day or two if some bug splatter gets on the paint, I use Showtime to remove.

That's my routine using these two products. To me, Showtime is the better detailer (for light cleaning), and FXSW is better as a last step product for gloss and protection. Plus, Showtime doesn't offer any real protection where as FXSW does.
Old 11-02-2006

i use a mf applicator and spread it around evenly one panel at a time, and then wipe away with a microfiber towel...
Old 11-03-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacarnut
i use a mf applicator and spread it around evenly one panel at a time, and then wipe away with a microfiber towel...

So do I, but how long do you wait before "wiping away" with the MF towel?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2006

Are you guys applying the FXSW like a regular paste or liquid wax?

I did that one time. It took twice as long, streaked, and didn't offer any more protection. The FXSW does not need to setup like a regular wax. Spray, wipe, and then buff gently.

It is easier to mist the FXSW on the panel like you would a detailer, and then remove it with a clean towel. It's fast, easy, and your ride will look like it has been just waxed.

If you are going to use an applicator, it would be easier to use the FX Wax instead of the FXSW.

To each his own, and if it works for you...
Old 11-03-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendman
So do I, but how long do you wait before "wiping away" with the MF towel?
fx spray wax is a wipe on/wipe off product. i lightly mist my mf applicator and spray a panel, then spread it around and then wipe/buff away with a quality microfiber towel...
Old 11-03-2006

I think that it would be helpful to go back and read my original post. No, I am not applying it as a traditional wax product. That would defeat the purpose of a quick spray product.

All I am asking -- and frankly I would like to hear from Mother's chemist -- is whether there is any benefit to allowing a few extra seconds for the spray wax to dwell on the sprayed panel before wiping it off. Or, should FX Spray be treated exactly like an Instant Detailing spray, as in on/off.

I had been using it as an on-off with fine results, but just got to wondering if allowing the spray wax to "set-up" for a few SECONDS, if a better result might be obtained. That's it boys; nothing more.

Ps. I only use Microfiber towels. One for the wet wipe over, then one for the dry/buff.
Old 11-03-2006
Administrator

From the time you spray apply the product, until it is wiped off, is adequate time for the product.

There's no benefit to waiting any additional time.
Old 11-03-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
From the time you spray apply the product, until it is wiped off, is adequate time for the product.

There's no benefit to waiting any additional time.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Now, to the second part of my original question. Does FX Spray Wax/High Gloss Speed Detailer have a cleaning component, or should one think of it primarily as a wax booster and appearance enhancer -- and use your Instant Detailer for cleaning between washes?

Old 11-03-2006

Quote:
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Now, to the second part of my original question. Does FX Spray Wax/High Gloss Speed Detailer have a cleaning component, or should one think of it primarily as a wax booster and appearance enhancer -- and use your Instant Detailer for cleaning between washes?

Showtime = instant detailer (cleaning; virtually no protection or wax)

FXSW = wax booster or last step product (noncleaning but some protection)

To me, referring to FXSW as a detailer, is a misnomer. It is better suited for a clean surface and as a substitute for waxing.
Old 11-07-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
To me, referring to FXSW as a detailer, is a misnomer. It is better suited for a clean surface and as a substitute for waxing.

I concur. Good point.

While we are on the subject, one could argue that the term "Instant Detailer" is a misnomer when applied to a cleaning solution for the car surface, even with the brightners that Mothers adds. Such detailers are really quicky cleaners, or quicky washes when you really come down to it.

When one says that they have had their car "detailed", or that they are "detailing their car", most would expect to see that car with a fresh coat of wax on it ... and looking its best.

As you pointed out, FX Spray Wax could arquably qualify to make that claim, while an Instant Detailer could not.

Old 11-07-2006

Quote:
I concur. Good point.

While we are on the subject, one could argue that the term "Instant Detailer" is a misnomer when applied to a cleaning solution for the car surface, even with the brightners that Mothers adds. Such detailers are really quicky cleaners, or quicky washes when you really come down to it.

When one says that they have had their car "detailed", or that they are "detailing their car", most would expect to see that car with a fresh coat of wax on it ... and looking its best.

As you pointed out, FX Spray Wax could arquably qualify to make that claim, while an Instant Detailer could not.

Legendman, you have a good point. So much of the terminology is intermingled and "mixed and matched" that sometimes you really do not know what a product is best suited to accomplish. Generally, the terminology is relative to the manufacturer, speaker, writer, etc.

Regardless, both Showtime and FXSW are good products and both have their roles and places. I would recommend either one to anyone considering those type of products.