Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-08-2007

Default Mixed Protectant and Showtime

I had spent a few hours last weekend to remove wax traces from rubber trims over the windows of my C-class Benz. I used Showtime for lubricating the old wax on the trims and rubbed them off with a MF towel with with some my fingernails pressure. It worked out all fine. And then, I saw some really old wax still staying over the doors rubber trims, so I used Protectant to give them a brand new shine look. (really not sure whether Protectant has actually removed/dissolved those old wax, the trims are just look amazing black, brand new and shine!)

A little scarely was when I sprayed some Protectant onto the paint as I thought it was the Showtime bottle. Anyway, after a few seconds of panic, I immediately sprayed the Showtime and washed the Protectant away. I guess it was all just fine.

t
Old 01-08-2007
Administrator

Default Re: Mixed Protectant and Showtime

There's nothing in Protectant that will bother the paint -- its only side effect is it does streak as you wipe it off. You were correct in using Showtime to remove it and restore lustre to the finish.

We like to recommend applying a dressing such as Back-to-Black or Protectant on the trim before using any finish care products such as clay, cleaner wax, pre-wax cleaner, etc. to allow the dressing to penetrate while you're busy polishing/waxing -- it also helps to minimize cleanup of any finish care products which may have strayed onto the trim.

Once done with the finish care, you can apply another coat of dressing, if necessary, or just buff dry.
Old 01-08-2007

Default Re: Mixed Protectant and Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
We like to recommend applying a dressing such as Back-to-Black or Protectant on the trim before using any finish care products such as clay, cleaner wax, pre-wax cleaner, etc. to allow the dressing to penetrate while you're busy polishing/waxing -- it also helps to minimize cleanup of any finish care products which may have strayed onto the trim.

Once done with the finish care, you can apply another coat of dressing, if necessary, or just buff dry.
Thx for this very helpful tip!

I am glad to know that Protectant does not harm to the paint. Some may know, Mercedes C-class high-end model such as the Avantgarde, AMG have numerous rubber trims lines , some are very thin and tiny embedded in between paint and chrome.

BTW, I have both Back to Black and Protectant, I am not too sure what the differences are?

t