Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-03-2007

Default Protectant and Trim Work.

Gentlemen.
You all know by now what a fan I am of Back To Black.
Today was a day for step 3 replenishment, and prior to actually starting, my good lady wife said that I'd been a little neglectful of the inside, and remove what little dust there might have been.
To that end the thick grey woollen seat covers and the rest of the inside got a good going over with the vacuum to fluff the seat covers up.
The good lady also mentioned that the dash, and the plastics might benefit from a going over with a Protectant.

Here's where I might sidetrack into philosophy again.
Occasionaly I bemoan the fact that some Mothers products are not available here in Australia, and some, long since out of production, are still on the shelves. I grumble under my breath and await the day, occasionally mentioning those old products on the Forum, and thinking that the Mothers Staff wish that I wouldn't actually mention products no longer being made.
Today, I realised that I'm basically the same as those erstwhile shopkeepers.

When I purchased my original 'swag' of Mothers products, the store owner who gladly and thankfully saw to my quite large order was between orders from his Supplier. He'd just expired the last bottle of Mothers Preserves, and was awaiting the new Mothers Protectant. Funny thing is though, I was in there the other day, and there's another couple of bottles of Preserves mysteriously back on the shelf.
Anyway, he had no Protectant, and he sold me a bottle of 303, reassuringly informing me that it was better anyway.
Not bad, better than the Armorall, and not greasy and giving a matt finish which I preferred.
In the year since, I have acquired other Mothers products, and one of them was a new bottle of Mothers Protectant.
Like the storekeeper wants to expire old stock, I did the same, and expired the 303, quite happily, and today was the first time I tried the Mothers Protectant.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 06-03-2007

Default Re: Protectant and Trim Work.

So, I found another of those old terry face washers no longer in use in the bathroom, and started with the inside.
The first thing I noticed was the smell. It was quite nice, really, a smell I can't quite put my finger on, but quite pleasant.

I have one of those dash covers, having suffered previously from cracked plastic from the exceedingly hot Australian Sun beating through the windscreen, before the days when I might have known how to actually protect it.

I did all the internal plastics, hard, soft, textured, matt, and the rubber trim as well.
It goes on easily, and reading up on it here before application, I knew to leave it on for a while and then buff away any excess.
It came up really well. I was wondering as to the strength of the smell, and after 14 years with 4 Flying Squadrons in the Air Force, and the consequent exposure to raw and burnt AVTUR fuel, my smell is somewhat diminished. My good lady wife has no such problems, being quite able to smell a bee farting under water, and to that end I asked her to get in and I'd close the door to see if the smell was overpowering in any way.
She said that no, it wasn't at all, and in fact had a fresh sort of smell, so don't let that nice sweet......ish smell straight out of the bottle disconcert you, as it soon dissipates.

Then came the Eureka moment.
The external trim was okay, I guess. I knew that the next time, it would need a going over with the Back To Black, but my curiosity was piqued. I tried one small strip, and you notice it more outside than on the blacker internals, mainly because the outer ones have gone to a dark grey colour.
I thought, yes that is definitely darker, but that's just because the liquid is going on and it naturally makes it darker, thinking that once dry the colour would leach back to its original tone.
Waiting, waiting, waiting.
No. It stayed that way. So I buffed away the excess, none really, and it stayed the darker colour.
That fixed that then.
The waxing is put off till tomorrow. I spent a good two hours doing all the trim, and once you start, you find there's a lot, and it's pretty fiddly.
I did one complete side, and then thought maybe a photograph on the Forum would prove somewhat efficacious, so I included one of the complete passenger side, (Australia remember) That's the second photo, and you'll see the strip at half door height, the under door panel, the door handles, the rubber trim door surrounds internal and external, the mirror surround, and the mud flaps. All restored nicely. A photograph taken at this level also shows up the fact that the wheel wells are next on the agenda. However that's a job for Duration.
The top photograph is the rear drivers side passenger door, and shows before and after. I parked the bottle of Mothers Protectant on the paved driveway, and just above that is the line of delineation on the textured trim strip.

This is another of those surprising Mothers products that never cease to induce smiles.

Also, I was in another store with a somewhat lesser Mothers range and I noticed that there was a bottle of Mothers Naturally Black there, and this is the second time I've seen that.
I came home and used the 'Search' facility and found that the product is exactly the same as Back To Black, and it's just that in some countries, the name is changed, and I thought that this might be a good place to reinforce that, so that if you do see it, then you can rest assured that it is the same product, just different labelling, although Forrest or our friend at Admin might mention why both labellings are available here.

Tony.

Attached Images

Old 06-03-2007

No good telling you about it without including a 'how to', which I forgot in the above text.
I used an ex bathroom terry towel face washer, still relatively plush.
The advantage of this is that at the end, I can just throw it out.
I folded it into a wad of about 4 inches square, and sprayed the Protectant onto the cloth, about one squeeze.
Apply to about an area of half the strip in photo 1, and rub in relatively hard.
I continued for that strip the whole length of the side of the car, so 4 applications in all.
Then with another Terry face washer I went back and started again, this time buffing off any excess. Upon checking the cloth, it seemed that there was very little excess to buff off, but the trim did show a slight difference in colour, so I suppose something was being removed.

With the original cloth as the applicator, I went around all the trim and rubber on the car, and at the finish, the cloth was dark coloured, dirty from the cleaning of the trim.
I turned it often, finding a clean area to apply fresh Protectant to the next area in work.
This cloth was quite dirty at the finish, and the advantage of this is that you can just throw it out.
The dry one was still fairly pristine, even after the buffing, so all the cleaning was done by the applicating cloth, and the clean one can be used as an applicator next time.

I found that the best method was to rub fairly hard, both in application, and in the buffing away, with some time between the two so the Protectant has some time to dry on the trim.

Also, this is a task to be done prior to any paint work, and I used the dry cloth to clean any Protectant from the paint surrounding the trim, something which cannot be avoided, hence the reason to do this task first.

Again, another long thread on 'how to', but the idea is to get the method down while it's fresh, so the next guy gets the best help.

Tony.

Edit: 24 hours later. When the expected happens, that being getting wax on the trim during the application process, no matter how careful you are, the cleaning up is decidedly easier by a quantum factor, with no white marks at all.

Last edited by TonyfromOz; 06-03-2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Clean up following Waxing.
Old 06-03-2007

Nice write up!

Unlesss the scent has changed with the name, Protectant should be cherry scented.
Old 06-03-2007

Mama's Boy.
That's it. Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama's Boy
Unlesss the scent has changed with the name, Protectant should be cherry scented.

I knew it was something I remembered.
Cherries are not readily available here in Australia. They like to have them ready for Christmas, but they usually retail for an exorbitant amount, usually up around $20.00 to $25.00 per Kilo, around $US7.50 to $US9.00 per pound, so we mostly just go for the other stone fruit, Peaches Plums and Nectarines, which are only a quarter the price.

I mentioned it to my good lady wife, and she suggested a Cherry Liqueur smell she remembers from cooking fruit cakes and the like.

Thanks!
Tony.

Old 06-04-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyfromOz View Post
Mama's Boy.
That's it. Yeah!

I knew it was something I remembered.
Cherries are not readily available here in Australia. They like to have them ready for Christmas, but they usually retail for an exorbitant amount, usually up around $20.00 to $25.00 per Kilo, around $US7.50 to $US9.00 per pound, so we mostly just go for the other stone fruit, Peaches Plums and Nectarines, which are only a quarter the price.

I mentioned it to my good lady wife, and she suggested a Cherry Liqueur smell she remembers from cooking fruit cakes and the like.

Thanks!
Tony.
Aaah... a wife who lets you play on the computer, with cars, and bakes for you -- where do I get one of those???

Oh, and thanks for sharing the pics -- very nice!
Old 06-05-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Aaah... a wife who lets you play on the computer, with cars, and bakes for you -- where do I get one of those???
I guess in Australia...

Nice post, Tony.