Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Interior Care

Interior Care Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? Alcantara? Wood? Plastic? Discuss how to identify your interior surfaces and use the right product and technique for the best results.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-16-2007

Default One protectant product for vinyl and leather?

I got curious.

Should there be 2 different kinds of protectant products: one for protecting vinyl, rubber, and plastic, then a another for protecting leather?

I understand that one brand has a product that "cleans" all interior surfaces, such as interior plastics, vinyl, leather, rubber, metal and even audio/video equipment. However, it is not regarded as a protectant, if I got it correctly. I've read that a regular application of protectant is still needed for these surfaces.

I've found at least three (3) products that "clean and protect" vinyl, rubber, and leather. So my question now is that would these products work? Or should we still think that protectant products for vinyl and rubber are meant to be separate from protectant products for leather?

Thanks.

My auto detailing experiences:
http://autodetailingexperience.blogspot.com/

Last edited by jonjon_u; 08-16-2007 at 07:09 AM. Reason: found some products
Old 08-16-2007

Default Re: One protectant product for vinyl and leather?

I *think* the reason some products are listed for both leather and vinyl is that they are referring to coated leather (which, as I understand it covers almost all car leather used today). Coated leather doesn't absorb like uncoated leather does. Uncoated leather turns darker when it comes into contact with water. Coated leather, therefore, does not benefit from the application of leather "conditioner," as it does not absorb the conditioner well enough. Thus the use of a "protectant."

Again, this is just my understanding of it from reading various articles and such. I can't afford such things as leather interiors, so I don't really know about it first hand!
Old 08-16-2007
Administrator

Products that both clean and protect a broader variety of surfaces always make some trade-offs.

If you need serious cleaning or serious conditioning, it's best to choose a dedicated product for the purpose and the surface.
Old 08-17-2007

Thanks Mama's Boy and admin for the insights.

I guess the "choose a dedicated product for the purpose" rule still is the best one to follow.

My auto detailing experiences:
http://autodetailingexperience.blogspot.com/
Old 08-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama's Boy View Post
Coated leather, therefore, does not benefit from the application of leather "conditioner," as it does not absorb the conditioner well enough. Thus the use of a "protectant."
From what I have read, most leathers for cars (except specialty leather like in Rolls, etc.) are colored and have a top coating but they all still recommend leather conditioner.

For general use, I think a combo cleaner/conditioner (more conditioner than cleaner) should work fine. You can use a true leather cleaner if the leather has never been cleaned or really nasty but can be maintained with a combo or conditioner product. When I have cleaned spots off my car seat leather, the light scrubbing action was the secret but it depends on the stain (organic, etc).

It also depends on what kind of shine you want since every protectant seems to have a slightly different shine. I like leather to have NO added shine.