Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-27-2007

Thumbs up New Reflections Spray Wax

I was fortunate enough to pick up some of the Reflections Spray Wax with the new formula... spray on, spread evenly, and buff off.

This stuff works great. First, I used it after washing during my drying process. Easy on... easy off. I liked it so much, I came back after a couple of hours and applied it again to a dry surface, and again, super easy to use, and I was left with an extremely wet, reflective, glossy, and slick finish. Of course, I was applying it over a couple of previous layers of Reflections Top Coat, over a couple of coats of Reflections Car Wax, which doesn't hurt. Still, it's like using a spray wax/sealant, and a high gloss QD all in one step!

The instructions say to hold the bottle about 8 to 12 inches from the paint and spray it on. I found that holding it a little farther away puts a bit nicer mist of product on the paint. Maybe that was just my bottle???

Anyhow, I really like FX Spray Wax, but I LOVE this stuff. Even if it only adds a small amount of additional protection, given the appearance that it produces, it's going to make it high up on my list of favorite products.

I guess if I could change one thing, I would give it the same "after-shave" smell that RCW and RTC have... love that scent.

Kudos to the folks at Mothers for making another fine product, and changing the formula to make it easier to use.

Last edited by Detail Guy; 10-27-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-27-2007
Administrator

Default Re: New Reflections Spray Wax

Glad you like the new Reflections Spray Wax -- Mr. Chemist will be glad to hear it as well.

If the instructions state 8-12 inches, we will probably want to revisit that statement -- further away seems to be better for any spray wax (or mist it on a towel).
Old 10-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
If the instructions state 8-12 inches, we will probably want to revisit that statement -- further away seems to be better for any spray wax (or mist it on a towel).
Yep, that's what on the label that I have. Not a big deal, as I figured it out pretty quickly. Holding it that close cause it to "ricochet" all over.

Now if I can only get one of the local Auto Parts stores to handle the Mothers detailing accessories, I'll be a happy camper. I'm dying to try the new WW drying towel, and a couple of the brushes.
Old 10-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detail Guy View Post
Yep, that's what on the label that I have. Not a big deal, as I figured it out pretty quickly. Holding it that close cause it to "ricochet" all over.

Now if I can only get one of the local Auto Parts stores to handle the Mothers detailing accessories, I'll be a happy camper. I'm dying to try the new WW drying towel, and a couple of the brushes.
Where did you get the new version of Spray Wax?

Why not order the WW towel online? I did. It does not cost much for shipping when you consider gas is under $2.80 or so per gallon.
Old 10-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
Where did you get the new version of Spray Wax?
We have a local chain of automotive stores called A & A Auto Parts. They handle a lot of the Mothers products... and you can ask them to get the products. Although, I'm not having much luck getting them to carry the Mothers accessories... but I'll keep trying.

Quote:
Why not order the WW towel online? I did. It does not cost much for shipping when you consider gas is under $2.80 or so per gallon.
Well, for a couple of reasons...

1. In my opinion, Mothers products should be readily available at auto parts store like Autozone, AdvanceAuto, Pepboys... etc. Of course, Mothers can't force them to carry their products.

2. I do a considerable amount of business online. I also like to do some business to help the local economy. Given reason 1, I would like to do reason 2.

Maybe the folks at Mothers could talk to the folks back here at A & A Auto parts in Northeastern PA and convince them to carry more of their stuff. They already carry a quite of few the Mothers detailing chemicals.
Old 10-27-2007

Detail Guy and Al.
Other than the accessories, I still find it hard to comprehend that I could walk into any one of the big four car care chains here in Australia and obtain virtually anything from the whole Mothers range straight off the shelf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot
..........when you consider gas is under $2.80 or so per gallon.
Lucky guy. Today, here it's $1.19 per litre, and when you do the three conversions, that works out at $4.50 a gallon, and it's been that for nigh on three years now sometimes fluctuating $1.00 up and the odd few cents down. We have a subsidy here in Queensland, and most of the Southern States pay $5.00 per gallon averaged,
No wonder petrol sipping small cars sell so well here.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 10-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyfromOz View Post
Detail Guy and Al.
Other than the accessories, I still find it hard to comprehend that I could walk into any one of the big four car care chains here in Australia and obtain virtually anything from the whole Mothers range straight off the shelf.
Hey Tony,

Yep, I sure don't understand it. Unless you live near a big metro market, it seems you have to hunt around for Mothers products here in the states... and the accessories are nowhere to be found. On the other hand, I've seen some of Mothers biggest competitors stuff in grocery stores.

Again, I guess you can't blame Mothers, as the stores can handle what they choose. Unfortunately, the chain stores seem to handle a lot of the cheaper stuff... and the FX and Reflections lineup is not exactly cheap. Certainly a lot better than the other stuff... but not cheap.

If worse comes to worse, I'll order online. Too bad... I like to spend some coin locally, but if nobody wants my money, I'll just order the stuff!

Now that I think about it, tomorrow I have to run by the place where I picked up the RSW. I'm going to pick up another bottle to make sure I have plenty, as I'm going to be using a LOT of this stuff!
Old 10-27-2007

Just a suggestion.
I know that the Mothers people have said that they prefer people to purchase their products over the counter, (naturally) and that way, demand decides whether or not they stock the product, but I seem to recall either Forrest or our friend at Admin once saying that if the product is not there, then you might ask at the counter if they could get it in for you.

Also, something I've noticed here is that some of the products that Mothers users wouldn't even consider, probably lesser quality stuff, but with a more recognisable brand, (and I said that) stuff that is readily available in larger chain stores not car care related, is in the main, of an equivalent price or even higher, than the Mothers products that you have to go to the dedicated car care product outlets to purchase.
People will buy what they know, stores will stock what people will buy.
Me, and you. We need to tell people what we know and ask for what we want.

Tony.

Old 10-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detail Guy View Post

Well, for a couple of reasons...

1. In my opinion, Mothers products should be readily available at auto parts store like Autozone, AdvanceAuto, Pepboys... etc. Of course, Mothers can't force them to carry their products.

2. I do a considerable amount of business online. I also like to do some business to help the local economy. Given reason 1, I would like to do reason 2.
I do not disagree with anything you say. If we did not have Pep Boys, the availability of Mothers products in our area would be limited. I did get the towels from an online retailer about 1.5 hrs from here so I guess that could qualify at least in my state.
Old 10-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyfromOz View Post
Just a suggestion.
I know that the Mothers people have said that they prefer people to purchase their products over the counter, (naturally) and that way, demand decides whether or not they stock the product, but I seem to recall either Forrest or our friend at Admin once saying that if the product is not there, then you might ask at the counter if they could get it in for you.

Also, something I've noticed here is that some of the products that Mothers users wouldn't even consider, probably lesser quality stuff, but with a more recognisable brand, (and I said that) stuff that is readily available in larger chain stores not car care related, is in the main, of an equivalent price or even higher, than the Mothers products that you have to go to the dedicated car care product outlets to purchase.
People will buy what they know, stores will stock what people will buy.
Me, and you. We need to tell people what we know and ask for what we want.

Tony.
I agree, and that's how I (and I'm sure others) got my local store to get the Spray Wax, and the other Reflections products.

I'm just not having as much luck with the accessories... but I'll keep trying!
Old 10-27-2007
Administrator

We're always working on getting a broader distribution of all products, including the accessories.

Please wish us luck at AAPEX and SEMA this week... if Forrest is in a better mood on Saturday when he returns, you'll likely figure more retailers agreed expand their product line.

The accessories are handled by a different sales team, and we're making sure they get their vitamins this week!
Old 10-28-2007

Quote:
Please wish us luck at AAPEX and SEMA this week... if Forrest is in a better mood on Saturday when he returns, you'll likely figure more retailers agreed expand their product line.
Good luck! Wish I could be there.

Quote:
The accessories are handled by a different sales team, and we're making sure they get their vitamins this week!
Excellent! Give them a double dose!
Old 10-28-2007

This may be diverging from the original topic....

While browsing the auto parts detailing aisle's, I noticed that a lot of people shopping for car care products like wax have no predetermined choices. They will look at the products, read the labels, and then almost reluctantly choose something. I do not know what combination of brand recognition, product claims and information actually does it (done it myself) but obviously if you are not on the shelf you cannot make the sell. I will say an uninformed person will likely not choose one of the higher priced products (like Reflections) unless they have brand loyalty.

What I think is partly missing is marketing collateral to help inform and make the sell in the store. This may be some car care / product brochure but more focus on 1) what you want to do and 2) what products are best rather than a straight product brochure. It is getting products on the shelf and getting them to choose yours.

As an example, my sister in law purchased a new car and I asked if they were going to wax it, my brother in law said he may get a bottle of NuFinish (it still smells nasty). Of course, I think (!) I know better now so I gave them a car care kit (wool wash mitt, Reflections, car wash, microfiber towels) but they have yet to use the car wash or wax! The car is new but I know any new car that is clean will have a decent shine for some time (at least a year or so) even without wax so they are in no rush.

One suggestion. Mothers could offer a sampler kit by adding a coupon to the cleaner wax (what is sold most places so it could get widespread distribution) and with the coupon and some money you could get a sample of Mothers products. I know Mothers makes samplers since I received these nice little bottles of Car Wash, Protectant, and Showtime once with an order (no OTC would have done this). It sold me on Showtime plus I used products I did not have.

I wish Forrest luck.
Old 10-28-2007

Good ideas Al!

I don't care how they do it... I just want more "stuff"!

Anyhow, I couldn't resist... I had to apply more of the spray wax this morning when the temps got up to 50 degrees. It was a little steaky to apply on the extremely cold paint surface, but not to bad. Required a little more buffing.. and looks great!

That reminds me, I need to pick up another bottle this afternoon... maybe I better get two at this rate!
Old 11-04-2007

Quote:
We're always working on getting a broader distribution of all products, including the accessories.

Well, how did the SEMA show go? Is Forrest in a better mood?

More importantly, will I be able to finally get a Mothers Wheel Brush, some of those nifty WW towels, a Brake Dust Brush, and maybe a couple of other things locally?
Old 11-04-2007

Say.
Everyone's just checked in.
Were you all watching the game?
Big result for the Pats.
Tom Brady. Big game.

Tony.

Old 11-05-2007

A long thread, and all it sounded the new Relfections Spray is even better than FX Spray! It really makes my mouth watered. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Old 11-06-2007

Wow, I guess I am lucky! Murrays Auto Parts carrys all of the Mothers products as does, K-Mart, Meijers, etc.
Old 11-07-2007

No Murray's around here.

Still waiting to hear if the folks at Mothers made some headway with the other chains for better distribution of the accessories.
Old 11-07-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntlaw View Post
A long thread, and all it sounded the new Relfections Spray is even better than FX Spray! It really makes my mouth watered. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
"Better" is relative and is really a personal decision. Reflections Spray Wax is significantly thicker and takes a little more work to apply, and can offer a richer look if you're looking for that -- like anything else, it's got some trade-offs as well as some benefits.
Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >