Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-26-2008

Default Mag and aluminum polish vs. chrome polish

Hello,
I want to polish and protect the wheels on my Harley davidson motorcycle. They are the alloy spoke wheels that come with the bike. I hear both that they are or are not clear coated, it depends who you ask. I was wondering if there is any harm in using the Mag polish on them if they are coated. . Also can I use the alum. and the mag polish on chrome to help clean it?
Thanks
Solman
PS: the chrome polish works great. Do I need to wax after to protect the chrome or is the polish enough?
Old 02-26-2008
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Mag and aluminum polish vs. chrome polish

You need to know for certain the finish type to use the proper product. If they are coated, using Mag & Aluminum Polish may damage the coating.

Has the dealer been any help, or the H-D website? Someone should know what their rim finish is.

I would not recommend using Mag & Aluminum Polish on chrome plating - chrome is not the robust finish it was years ago. Use the proper product. And yes, you can wax over chrome plating, but there's little reason to. I'd suggest the California Gold Pure Paste Wax, part number 05550.
Old 02-27-2008

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to find out for certin from the parts guy at the dealer that the wheels are indeed clear coated. I guess your fx cleaner with a coat of wax to protect is the way to go;.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2008
Administrator

solman,

I do want to welcome you to WaxForum!

Motorcycle wheels and adjacent finishes (such as brake hardware) can sometimes be tricky.

Be sure to test any cleaner product in an inconspicuous area first -- rinse thoroughly with a sudsy solution of car wash before rinsing again with water. Ideally you should wash often with car wash, and use a wheel cleaner only when you have to.

An easy-to-use spray wax like our FX Spray Wax can be easily applied after washing to help keep dust and dirt from sticking.

Good luck!
Closed Thread