Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > News & Announcements

News & Announcements About Mothers®, events, shows & cool cars.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-16-2008
Administrator

Default Revised Attachment Posting System for Images

Images attached to posts -- using the "Manage Attachments" link below the advanced message posting box -- are now automatically re-sized to fit within the forum frame which helps reduce scrolling of the window required on oversized images.

If the image is larger than 890 pixels wide, a "thumbnail" is created. When clicked-on, the larger image appears in a light box.

In addition, there are maximum size limitations on attachments, but it should handle any image under about 699KB in physical size. Larger images will need to be re-sized by you before uploading, or an "Upload of file failed" message or a cryptic "Database Error" message will result. Or link to the photo from your own server space or photo album.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167b.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	646.7 KB
ID:	1219  

Last edited by admin; 07-23-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Revised physical sizes for photos to an 890 width from an original setting of 900, which pushed the screen out slightly.
Old 07-17-2008

Default Re: Revised Attachment Posting System for Images

Mothers is very generous on the file size for images.
Old 07-17-2008
Administrator

Here's another photo...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1168-test-700kb.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	666.0 KB
ID:	1220  
Old 07-17-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
Mothers is very generous on the file size for images.
Well... we're going to turn down the generosity a bit as our server doesn't like Attachments that are over about 699KB -- our software will allow it, but the server won't.

Generosity is a double-edged sword...

If we put the crimps down on photos too much, it makes it harder for people to post images that would be helpful to us to make a proper assessment.

If we allow photos that are too big, it puts undue strain on our resources and likely won't upload anyway.

In reality, your photos shouldn't need to be more than 99KB in physical size, but the system should be able to handle up to 699KB.

If you have a large photo to show detail work, use a photo editing program to crop out the unnecessary part of it and focus on the problem at hand.

Ideally, you'd set your digital camera to produce a photo somewhere in the 250-500KB physical size range; or you'd use a photo editing program to size them to be no bigger than the computer screen and you should be fine.

Or link to the photo from your own server space.
Old 07-17-2008

Images are sometimes the hardest of things to work out when posting to the site, not just the Mothers site but to any site, and also even attaching them to email’s.

One anomaly then that also comes up is the size of the monitor screen that the guy actually posting has, and when you post your image that fits your screen just nicely, some other guy with a smaller monitor, like older CRT screens or those on notebooks and laptops might not see those images without having to ‘scroll’.

Because of the plethora of cameras and now camera phones, those images that fit those screens are in most cases designed to fit that screen, so when the photo appears on someone else’s screen, the ‘scrolling’ thing again comes into play.

Modern digital cameras have that high pixel rate for clarity of the image. The higher the megapixel rate means that when the image is scaled down to a 6 x 4 photograph, then the image is really sharp.

So, when you use that cameras proprietary program to view your image on your PC, it scales it to the screen size that you’re viewing the image, and when you attach it to an email or try to upload it to a website, then that image reverts to its original ‘huge’ size. Some guys get frustrated and then just don’t include the image at all.

I’ve had to really try and figure it out, and luckily my sister the computer tech helped me out with a great program, and it’s actually redundant even talking about it because it has been discontinued. Luckily I have the original, so when my computer crashes, and it has happened, because I recently lost my whole C drive, not to a virus, but a catastrophic failure. Luckily I regularly back up, so all I did lose was a stack of recent images.

I have a Kodak camera and I use their image program. However all I do use that for is to download the images, and work on the ones I want to print. I’ll take them to the shop for the quality finish, but any images I plan to just email or to upload to sites, then I don’t use this program, because it leaves the images as their full size.

I have an Adobe program, not the home user one but Adobe PhotoDeluxe Business Edition 1.0 which has been long discontinued for better, and costlier new upgrades). This program was used by some of the photo processing outlets because it allowed them to work on the image better than the home user programs which are more basic by their very nature, that of use by the guy at home.
What this program does is to allow me to resize the image. It has a percentage scale, so that even though the image is scaled to fit your screen, the percentage scale tells how what fractional size the photo actually is.
So I’ll work on the photo with brightness, contrast, and the like, and the last thing I’ll do before completing the process prior to posting is to resize the image to 100% so that it then fits my screen, and for this resizing to the Mothers forum, I’ll work on the size of the large white space in the middle of the posting area. This in virtually every case, decreases the size of the image.
Now, at the same time it reduces the image size in the ‘byte’ factor.
With this program, this considerably reduces that byte size without actually reducing the image clarity for posting to a computer website.
This is the greatest advantage of this Adobe program, that ability to lessen the byte size.

Now I know this is a redundant argument for nearly all of you because you won’t have access to the program, but here’s one clue before trying to upload the image.
If uploading to any site, Mothers included, then you actually need to have the image on your computer, so you download it from the camera or your camera phone, and put it in the ‘My Pictures’ folder.

Prior to actually uploading the image, go to where you have put the photo and look at the image in that ‘My Pictures’ folder. The image will be mid screen, but below that is the roll of all the pictures in that folder.
Find your image in that roll, and just hover the mouse over the picture without clicking. A small box will open up telling you the image size, in either inches or millimetres. It will also tell you the filesize in bytes.
If the image is larger than the Mothers site allows, then you can go back and crop the image or work on it to lower that filesize.

Then, uploading your image will be that much less problematic.

I know this sounds like a lot of ‘techo’ speak, but trust me, a tech I aint.

Now, I've included these two images for no reason other than to highlight the comparison.
The top image of the '66 HR Holden is actually sized 957mm x 547mm and the filesize is 81.6 Kb on my computer and at the image upload box.
The lower image is my Holden Astra and is sized 900mm x 664mm and the filesize is 230 Kb on my computer and at the site.
Note how the images appear the same size now at the Mothers site.

Tony.

PS. Note they've all been GM cars so far. I thought our friend at Admin was a Ford guy. Nyuk nyuk nyuk!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Holden Astra.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	1225   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR Holden.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1226  

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.

Last edited by TonyfromOz; 07-17-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 07-17-2008

Now, I'm not really sure our good friend at Admin will be impressed if I bring this up, but look at the last post here and now everywhere else at the forum, but this new extra, once up and running will be a boon to everyone. It may be that it's been there all along, and I'm just highlighting my blindness, as has happened a couple of times already, and I may just have noticed it now that some new things have shown up.

There's a single line there that has the title at left of 'Tags.

Why this will be so good is this.
Say some guy comes in and asks a question about removing scratches.
The guy who answers replies to the question and then in that Tags box, he hits 'edit' on the right there, and then types in Scratch Removal. What this effectively does then is to highlight this thread in a separate list of threads regarding Scratch removal, you know, the same as you get using the 'search facility'.

The next time a guy comes in asking a question, he can just hit that heading inside the tags box, and all threads dealing with scratch removal will appear after the jump.

Three things to remember.
1. Try to keep the heading the same, like scratch removal and not scratch repair if you see the point there.
2. Second you're only allowed 25 characters, so look at this then.
3. If you are going to put in more than one tag, then add a comma after the last character of the first tag.

Reflections Spray Wax.

Even though it only uses 19 alphabet letters, the spaces between the words count also, so that makes this now 21 characters.

Now comes the part where I get expelled from the site, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. The task for someone at Mothers is to hire a guy to go through the archive of all threads and tag them.

Oh! Sorry, Admin!

Tony.

PS. Why this might be a boon is that after we can just refer the guy to the tag button, and not have to go searching for the link and then including it in the reply Post.

Last edited by TonyfromOz; 07-17-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 07-18-2008
Administrator

Yes, Tags are a new feature. Please spell correctly if you're going to assign tags to a post.
Old 07-18-2008

In regards to pictures for posting, Windows XP includes a program that can properly crop pictures for posting but I use Adobe Elements. You just have to resize the picture and change the dpi. For most vbulletin places, 200 dpi is good with a image width of 4-inches and letting the vertical be stay proportional. If you save as jpg, it usually will fit in Mothers size contraints.

If you need a smaller file, save as a gif (256 colors). This usually reduces the size to 1/4 of a jpg. The real challenge are the avatars where you are often fixed around 100 pixels square and a very small file size. Adobe, like many decent image editors, can do all this in just one step except for saving to gif. The built-in XP program requires two: change size or resolution and then change the other.
Old 07-18-2008
Administrator

Good tips... for the purposes of illustration, jpg format is preferred over .gif for the higher degree of clarity due to the number of colors it can contain --no sense in posting a photo of a scratch or scuff if there aren't enough colors in the image to see what we're talking about.

For a jpg, 72 dpi is generally a natural screen resolution as well as a common digital photo setting (though they often can be set higher), but the Wax Forum system should now adjust for any dpi when an attachment is processed so long as the physical size of the photo on disc is within the constraints of its ability to churn a photo. Our new set display size of 900 px wide at 72 dpi works out to about 12-1/2 inches wide if you're looking in a photo editor.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and Adobe makes great products.
Old 07-18-2008
Administrator

Here's another test picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1172b.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	780.9 KB
ID:	1228  
Old 07-18-2008
Administrator

Another test
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1298b.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	680.7 KB
ID:	1229  
Old 07-18-2008

Hey! Cool!
I just noticed.
Hover the mouse over the blue Astra, and I just get a pointer.
Hover the mouse over the others, and you get a pointing finger.
Click on the image and the photo opens up to its original size, and for those of you with smaller screens the 'scrolling' comes into play.

The Astra was sized to around my screen size so that already was full size on my computer.
Each computer will give differing results.
You'll see the image as normal to fit your monitor screen, and the pointer comes into play for all images. Because I have a 19 inch BenQ, the image is my monitor 'fit' size, as it will be for all of you with a 19 inch monitor and resolution display setting at 1280 x 1024.

Hmm! Let's see now.

76 Bricklin SV-1, the last of them.
Now, I'm guessing here, but it's on the asumption that our friend at Admin being the Ford fan he is, then this isn't the 74 version with the 360 inch AMC, but the later models with the 351 Ford Windsor.
Still, it does have a Ford engine, so I guess that sort of makes it an unofficial Ford.

73 Plymouth Barracuda with the last of those 340 inch small blocks.

Old 07-19-2008

Why is that guy using a laptop sitting on the paint of a supposedly fine show car? He is just asking for trouble even if he may have placed a towel between the laptop and paint.
Old 07-23-2008

Maybe he's looking up the forum for advice on how to remove scratches on hood.

Ask for help! I think I'm funny.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Closed Thread

Tags
image resizing