Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 03-03-2012

Default Product Review: Mothers new Synthetic Wax

Product Review: Mothers Synthetic Wax

For 2012, Mothers had added a new Synthetic Wax to the California Gold brand line.

Product Disclosure: Product received in an Autogeek.net contest with the agreement to provide a review

Manufacturer's Product Description

Mothers California Gold Synthetic Wax provides unparalleled depth, shine and protection in an easy-to-apply, effortless-to-remove formula. Our specially formulated microencapsulated polymers form a chemical bond to protect your paint's surface, while ultra-fube polishes bring out the gloss and luster you've come to expect from Mothers.

Price: $8.99 16 ounces

Country of Origin: Made in USA

Product Directions from product label:

Shake well before and during use. Finish should be clean, dry, and cool.

Hand use:
1. Pour a small amount of product onto a soft, clean microfiber, terry cloth or suitable applicator
2. Working in 2-3 square sections, massage product thoroughly into the finish
3. Allow to dry to a haze
4. Remove haze with a clean, dry microfiber or terry cloth towel, Turn frequently for best buffing action

Random Orbital Buffer
1. Pour a small amount of product directly onto buffer pad
2. Work with light pressure, spreading evenly over a 2-3 square foot area.
3. Buff area thoroughly while wet, then allow product to dry to a haze
4. Remove haze with a clean, dry microfiber or terry cloth towel. Turn towel frequently for best buffing action

Note: To avoid wax residue on trim, moldings, and other non-painted plastic surfaces, first apply Mothers Protectant or Back to Balck Trim Care.

Other products used:
1. Washed with Optimum No Rinse
2. Dried with Mothers and Pakshak microfiber towels.
3. UDM 1.0 DA with Lake Country Blue finishing pad
4. Buffed with Pakshak microfiber towels
5. Griot's Pre-Wax Cleaner

temperature conditions: Garage: 55 to 60 F

Vehicle
2001 Chrysler Sebring Lxi. Parked outside 24/7. The paint condition is not great condition (two spots showing clearcoat issues). The front facia and hood are pitted and etched bug marks due to poor care for the majority of its life.

Preparation
The car was washed in the garage using Optimum No Rinse. After drying the car was wiped down with a chemical cleaner to strip residue LSP. I skipped claying. A reverse test spot was created on the hood where one section would be untouched while the rest would be covered.

Physical Observations
1. Packaging: "Top Down" plastic bottle with flip to lid
2. Viscosity: slightly oily
3. Color: opaque tan
4. Scent: Cologne (similar to Mothers Reflections or FX but the smell lighter)

Application notes

For application, I used my old UDM 1.0 with a 5-in backing plate and 6.5-in Lake Country CCS Blue foam pad. It was spread using speed 2 to 3 over the entire car. Using about nickel size drops, I worked approximately 2 square foot areas. Mothers Synthetic wax spread fairly easily but a tad less easy than Mothers FX and Reflections. It definitely has a more oily consistency than the previously mentioned products. Note: Mothers has said that they have already made a formula tweak to improve the ease of application and removal.

While buffing, I did notice some residue build up in the pad that indicates that there are some not paint cleaners (confirms labeling regarding ultrafine polishes) in the product.

With the temperatures in the mid-50's, it took about 25 to 30 minutes to get a clean wipe (hazed). It buffed off without any issues and as usual with a black car when working in a typical garage it used an inspection light to be sure there are no missed spots.

Before

Mitts after ONR wash

Hazed hood

Afters

Due timing based upon weather, I ended up doing the paint before the wheels so some photos were taken with undressed wheels because I needed to do that outside for the other review with a hose when it was warmer.

trunk

In the sunlight (tires not cleaned/dressed)

Rear pillar shot - fillers working

Side by Side (waxed / not waxed)

Hood with test spot

Hood swirl check - lots of dings but not many swirl

After a rain shower

A day later

Mothers Synthetic wax applies and removes fairly easily. It definitely darkens the paint slightly as seen in the reverse test spot and leaves a clean look -- more subdued glow as opposed to bright shine. It also has some useful filling capabilities to reduce the swirls for rides in less than perfect condition.

For users of Mothers FX and Reflections, the Synthetic Wax looks much more like Reflections than FX.

Notes:

Ease of application/removal: Very good.

Scent: Pleasant (similar to FX and Reflections)

Cleaning ability: Modest

Cost: Very affordable

Slickness: Good

Durability Unknown since this is an initial report

A nice product, more like an all in one: cleaner, glaze, and wax, from Mothers at a very affordable price. I do like the darkening effect on dark solid colors.
Old 03-03-2012

Default Re: Product Review: Mothers new Synthetic Wax

Very thorough review Al. For a less than perfect finish (read: most vehicles on the road) a LSP that cleans well, fills and has great durability would be ideal. With the exception of unconfirmed durability, it seems Mothers has another winner with Synthetic Wax.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 03-03-2012

Great review.

How is it for removing from the trim if you get some on the black trim.

Kbshadow
Stockton ca.
Old 03-04-2012

Very nice, detailed review. Seems to be good in darkening the paint and pretty good in that (at least in your pics) it does not seem to streak but leaves a nice even finish.

3 synthetic waxes from mothers, lots of choices from them. Hopefully this wax is durable, or more durable than reflections and FX.

Seems to fill the gap between Fx and reflections in terms of looks.
Old 03-10-2012

I had a nice complement the other day. I was asked when I got the new car. Please note this car is a 2001 and has 105K.

Now, the new headlights (purchased from ebay) really do make a big difference. The older ones would never clean up no matter what I did. You can need shiny paint but clean windows, wheels and wells, clear headlights, etc. also make a major overall impression.
Old 03-12-2012

So how's the durability of this cali gold synthetic wax compared to the FX and reflections car wax? The darkening effect seems substantial, based on what the pictures show.
Old 03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffboy View Post
So how's the durability of this cali gold synthetic wax compared to the FX and reflections car wax? The darkening effect seems substantial, based on what the pictures show.
No idea. It has not been on very long.
Old 03-21-2012

I have also tried the synwax, on my 2004 cadillac Deville with the pearl paint. I am definetly impressed with the shine. On my car for 2 weeks now seems good so far. We have had a lot of rain the last 2 weeks so it is getting a beating. I am wanting to put on 2nd coat but the weather hasn't allowed and on the gulf coast you need at least a week to let fully dry between coats. I put it on my daughter's 2000 olds intrigue really brought out the shine. So far I love the product.
Old 03-22-2012

Fx is a good wax, if you used the liquid it can give better sparkle for your pearl paint, and give that bright crisp shine for your car. Plus that effortless removal makes waxing a breeze. FX spray in between will maintain that FX synwax shine and cut time, however since the synwax is easy to use, you can just reapply the wax.
Old 03-22-2012

ffboy, I think you've got your wires crossed.

He's talking about the NEW Synthetic Wax, not FX.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 03-22-2012

Oh, well maybe. It does happen a lot to me, but i was replying to a3dtot regarding his experience with FX synwax. Should have been more specific or replied with quote
Old 04-02-2012

After reading the review and finding this product on special at Advance over the weekend I decided to give it a try. Even though the paint on this particular car is in exceptional shape and meticulously maintained I still noticed a distinct improvement in the shine and depth (previous LSP was Mothers Reflections Top Coat) and a slight darkening of the black paint as well. Application was easy and removal was no hassle even though I was pulled away from the car and the wax sat overnight on one side. I was prepared to have to fight it but it just wiped off like previous panels did the day before. Another fine product from Mothers.
Old 04-03-2012

Just can't say enough about the new California Gold Synthetic Wax. Been another week and still a lot of rain but had time to wash my car and wax my wifes suv. Even with all the rain and grime the shine is still fantastic. Amazing product so far.
Old 04-19-2012

I purchased a bottle of Mothers CG Synthetic Wax last weekend at O'Reilly's... did a wash & applied a single coat to our 2011 Ford Focus... easy on/easy off... decent gloss... but not the "buttery" slick surface feel that I like... after a thunderstorm that night... beading was not tight at all... we will wash a few more times to see about the durability... but as of right now... I give it about a 3 out of 5.
Old 04-20-2012

Don't focus too much on beading... I've had the same experience with the fx liquid, it's a wax that really doesn't really focus too much on beading. Beading is nice too see/watch, but it doesn't really tell much about a wax's durability.
Closed Thread