Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-03-2014

Default :: NEW- Mothers® Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner ::

What’s going on guys, CM8 6MT here with another review on an excellent product from the new Mothers 2014 line up.

The Product

Mothers B2B Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner is just that, a trim cleaner. However this isn’t your average cleaner, this product is designed as stated: Restores dull, faded exterior trim & plastic. Let’s take a look inside & see what Mothers has to offer.

Unboxing

Upon unboxing the product, you’ll notice a 12oz bottle & a brush to agitate the surface to be cleaned.

The Gel

The drip-free gel comes out clear out of the bottle. It has no particular scent, so you can rest assured there wont be a harsh chemical smell.

Product Claims

This product claims it will:
*Restore your exterior trim & plastics to their ORIGINAL like new color.
*Deep cleans, erasing years of neglect. Removes oxidation, dirt, road grime & wax.
*Provides a drip free gel.

Usage

This product is designed to be used on the following:
*Bumpers
*Moldings
*Windshield Cowlings
*Louvers
*Air Vents
*Window Trim
*Wiper Arms
*Mudguards
*Side View Mirror Housings
*Door Handles
*Bed Rails
*Running Boards
*Basically, anything that’s plastic, rubber or vinyl.
Side Note: Areas to be treated don’t have to be Black to obtain superior results.
NOT for use on glossy plastic or painted surfaces.

Not A Re-Label

This is not a relabel of the original B2B formula, this is a brand new product thats designed to clean your trim and restore it to its original condition & color. This enables your trim to aquire a clean surface for a dressing to bond to perfectly.

The Application

Before I start, I want to make clear that this product is NOT a cover up. Don’t let the name of the product deter you. Your trim won’t be masked or stained black like other products. It will restore your trim back to its ORIGINAL factory color.

My Trim

On my car, I don’t have a lot of plastic trim. I will be testing this product on the little plastic trim I do have: my windshield cowling & side mirror base plates.

As you can see, my windshield cowling is dull & faded. The directions state to apply the product directly onto the brush. I decided to use the supplied brush to clean the hard to reach areas, and treat the rest of the trim with an MF towel. I thoroughly massaged the gel onto the trim, and buffed it off using moderate pressure. Its important not to let the product dry.

The Results

Below is a 50/50 comparison, I was amazed at how well & fast this product works. Again, this is not a cover up like other products. The treated areas are fully restored to their original new condition & dry to the touch.

Below is a before & after shot.

Another before & after shot, this time on my mirrors.

Conclusion

This product is awesome, as expected coming from Mothers. Once you have restored & cleaned your trim, it’s ready to be protected by your favorite trim sealant. I followed up with Mothers B2B original formula. With this new B2B Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, you can expect any trim sealant/dressing of your choice to last even longer by enabling it to bond to a perfect clean surface.

Final Thoughts

This is a definite must-have, Mothers really hit a home run with this one. They continue to impress me each year with their excellent products. The product retails at about $9.99. Even after two applications, my bottle is still topped off. I was really impressed at how little product it took to restore my faded trim back to its original factory color.

Last edited by CM8 6MT; 02-03-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2014

Default Re: :: NEW- Mothers® Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner ::

Another great report.

Thanks

Now I'll be out in the garage doing my trim, been putting it off.

Kbshadow
Stockton ca.
Old 03-19-2014

Awesome, thanks for the review. Are these products available at Pep Boys (CA, USA)? A car that I detailed about a year ago has badly stained plastic trim (probably from polishers). Would love to try these out!
Old 03-19-2014
Mothers® Polish

Yes, Pep Boys has it in stock. It's even on sale this week!
Old 03-21-2014

I picked up the last box on the shelf but it was not on sale at the Burbank Pep Boys ($9.99).
Old 03-23-2014

I purchased this and it works good. I found it to work better on the rubber trim than on the actual trim on my 02 Camaro. I did see it on sale at pep bots 2 for $10.
Old 06-03-2014

Wow!! The pics speak for themselves as to how well the product works. I personally have never used the Mother's B2B so I'm left a little confused . What is the difference between the "Heavy Duty Cleaner" and the original formula? Both state that they clean and restore the trim. Also, is it recommended to follow up the new formula with the old?
Old 06-03-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCmuscle View Post
Wow!! The pics speak for themselves as to how well the product works. I personally have never used the Mother's B2B so I'm left a little confused . What is the difference between the "Heavy Duty Cleaner" and the original formula? Both state that they clean and restore the trim. Also, is it recommended to follow up the new formula with the old?
Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner is a cleaner.

Trim & Plastic Restorer is a restorer/protectant.

On some surfaces you might just use one; on others both.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 06-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner is a cleaner.

Trim & Plastic Restorer is a restorer/protectant.

On some surfaces you might just use one; on others both.
Ok, I guess I was thrown off a little when the Heavy Duty Cleaner stated that it "restores" trim like the original B2B also states. Only this new product has capabilities of removing wax (which is awesome), it just does not act as a protectant like the original B2B?... That being the case, which would serve as a better follow up treatment for longevity/protecting, original B2B or Mother's protectant?
Old 06-03-2014

I have been using the trim cleaner for some time now. I use it to prep the surface of hard plastics (such as in the pics up above) and follow up with the trim protectant of your choice. I'm a little OCD so I would recommend to use the trim cleaner first to prep the surface and then follow up with B2B trim protectant. The clean surface will allow B2B to bond better to the surface.

On rubber the trim cleaner works well. With rubber I use Mothers Protectant.