Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-09-2014

Default Back to Black Trim Cleaner & Back to Black Duo

First of all this is a great write up for Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner

http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=5004

There was a question in this thread on the uses of each product. I will go ahead and posts my thoughts on the trim cleaner and of course if the back to black can be used with it.

For those that don't know this is a new product offered for 2014.

Brief explanation about both products.

Mothers® Back-to-Black® Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner Kit provides unmatched cleaning ability, restoring your exterior trim and textured plastics to their original, like-new color. Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner is not a cover-up; it deep cleans, allowing you to erase years of neglect and environmental abuse, including oxidation, dirt, road grime and even stubborn embedded wax. It features a unique, drip-free gel, leaving you with a long-lasting, naturally clean surface.
#06141, Includes: 12 oz. Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, Trim Brush

Mothers® Back-to-Black® Trim & Plastic Restorer is the original Back-to-Black® formula you’ve come to know and trust, with a new look and even more value. Remove light oxidation, dirt, wax residue and surface film with ease, bringing back that like-new color and protecting against further deterioration caused by sun, smog, ozone, water, chemicals and airborne contaminants.

#06112, 12 oz.

I have been using this product as soon as it hit online retailers. I must say this is a great product. It cleans very well and it restores the plastic to it's OEM appearance. I recommend everyone to have it in their arsenal. I have used it with the included brush but I prefer these brushes.

I have been trying multiple trim products from various manufacturers and they all work with the trim cleaner. This time I decided to use back to black with the trim cleaner to see how well they work together. I will keep this thread going with updates.

I did a maintenance wash and spray wax on my daily driver today and it was time to dress the front trim as the previous trim dressing has seen it's end of life. I went ahead and used one of the detail brushes to clean the trim with the trim cleaner to remove anything that could still be left on the trim. I used a microfiber towel to remove the trim cleaner residue (dirt and grime).

I forgot to take a photo before I started to clean the trim.

Once the trim was prepped I applied back to black with a terry cloth towel and worked it into the plastic. As we all know back to black has cleaners in it so it still picked up a little dirt. Probably left over from the trim cleaner. I let it sit for a few minutes and buffed it off with a terry towel. I applied a second coat of back to black and let that sit for another few minutes. I went ahead and did a final buff with a terry cloth towel. The trim has a very deep black look to it.

These are the results. I did remove the dust and left over lint particles left by the terry towel.

Hope this helps anyone wondering if both products can be used together.
Old 06-09-2014

Default Re: Back to Black Trim Cleaner & Back to Black Duo

Looks. I finally used the trim cleaner and works well. I took some pics but need to write a review.

Did you use the black brush with the trim cleaner? I am surprised that B2B Trim Restorer could clean any better than the Trim Cleaners so what you saw had to be something different unless the plastic is just breaking down (more brittle?) every time you rib it.
Old 06-09-2014

Default Re: Back to Black Trim Cleaner & Back to Black Duo

I tried it with both the black brush and the detail brush I have posted up above. Both brushes work good. I just find the black brush to be to stiff. If the plastic had more texture then the black brush would be the one to go with. Since I have cleaned this piece before the softer bristles were better.

As far as trim restorer I think it was either some left over trim cleaner residue or a missed spot because it was only in one small area and I mean it was very light on the terry towel. The rest of the plastic was very clean after the trim cleaner and left no residue on the towel. The plastic is in good shape and it's not brittle so that rules that out.

Looking forward to seeing your review. I'm a fan of the trim cleaner. I highly recommend it.