Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 03-27-2017

Default Speed Clay

When I first I tried out Speed Clay 2.0 I used it on an old Corolla with really dirty paint and I didn't get the results I expected. However, after using it on my wife's Terrain, which is just a year old but never clayed, Speed Clay performed the way I'm accustomed to as with traditional clay. After an initial wash and rinse, I used car wash soap to lubricate Speed Clay. I heard it going over rough spots and removing contaminants with each swipe and eventually produced smooth surfaces. So in hindsight, I think if I gave the Corolla another persistent go, Speed Clay will eventually smooth out its paint as well.

Being able to use Speed Clay on a wet surface means I can skip drying after the initial car wash and go straight to claying the paint. Of course, I still have to do a final rinse and dry (before polish/wax) but I think being able to use the soap bucket as lube somehow sped things up. Also, no need to knead the the clay section after section. Finally, I was afraid Speed Clay would drag contaminants and cause even more scratches, but this fear was unfounded. From what I can tell, Speed Clay works just as well as traditional clay, but is less "high-maintenance". It removes contaminants and saves time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Clay.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2009  
Closed Thread