Post Thanks / Like

...your thoughts?

Hello everyone. I have a genuine interest, passion, and natural ability for detailing. I`ve always believed in the old phrase, "find something you love to do and you`ll never work a day in your life". I love to detail automobiles. I do my own as well as my friends vehicles ... pretty much ... just for the fun of it. I am considering the possibilities of doing this as real "paying" gig. Problem is, I`ve got a real job (9-5) that pays an excellent wage with a great benefit package that consumes most of my time. Is it acceptable and professional to get into this part time? What`s the best way for me to attract customers? Should I focus on individuals, lot jockeys, or both? I welcome any ideas, input, advice, etc., etc. Thanks in advance!

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ...your thoughts?

Originally posted by jugslinger
    Problem is, I`ve got a real job (9-5) that pays an excellent wage with a great benefit package that consumes most of my time. Is it acceptable and professional to get into this part time? What`s the best way for me to attract customers? Should I focus on individuals, lot jockeys, or both? I welcome any ideas, input, advice, etc., etc. Thanks in advance!
    Same situation here. I can`t dream of leaving my full time gig...especially now that 75% of my detailing biz comes from people in my office complex .

I started the business at the end of last summer and don`t try to hide the fact that it is a part time gig for me. In fact, I go to great lengths to ensure potential clients understand that completely. I only detail by appointment and usually don`t schedule more than one appt. per day. The only exception is if the appts. are for standard wash/wax/vacs and not full blown details. THen it is easy to fit two or three into a relatively short amount of time. The fact that I`m off every other Friday helps a great deal. I can detail two Fridays a month plus one day on weekends. I need to save one weekend day for myself and kids.

I don`t see any problem with p/t but realize that there will be skeptics who may think you are a weekend "hacker". Best way to squash those critics is by building a rep for the highest standard work.

Good luck,

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with NB, pt is fine but you have to make sure your service and the quality of the work is beyond reproach and don`t hesitate to "give" a little extra. The quality of your work will either be there or not, (hopefully it will be) but that`s the best defense against the skeptics.

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Natty is hitting the nail right on the head. Just be sure to keep the "hack" image in a competitor`s shop. I believe that staying away from high-volume places like offices will keep you saine, but that`s just my opinion. Keep with the referals from friends and neighbors and you can keep your clients on the higher end so you make the most $$$ for your time.
    Starting out like this might help you do what I did - "Boss, I quit! Want your car detailed?" Good luck!
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TheCompleteLook
    Starting out like this might help you do what I did - "Boss, I quit! Want your car detailed?" Good luck!
    LOL....sounds like a Visa commercial! Priceless! Oh how nice that must have felt. Congrats.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Thread Information