Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

megs #1, 2 & 9 - difference?

Hey all...

I noticed we`ve got quite a few meg`s mirror glaze products here in Australia now ... never used it. Anyway, I saw #1, 2 & good ol 9 there..

I`m gonna get #9 swr for sure, but what is the DIFFERENCE between #1, 2 & 9? In terms of abrasiveness, results etc... which of these have fillers if any? #9 doesnt fill does it ?

Should I follow say #9 with #2 or #1?? At this stage I plan to use a PC for these ... when I get it eventually!

Thanks..this step will obviously be slotted here - washing, claying, [THESE ONES], aio, upp, s100 maybe.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: megs #1, 2 & 9 - difference?

Originally posted by aheyn
    what is the DIFFERENCE between #1, 2 & 9? In terms of abrasiveness, results etc... which of these have fillers if any? #9 doesnt fill does it ?

Should I follow say #9 with #2 or #1?? At this stage I plan to use a PC for these ... when I get it eventually!

aio, upp, s100 maybe.
    On Meguiar`s 0 to 10 scale of abrasiveness.
    #1 = 7
    #2 = 5
    #9 = 3
    Since it is mentioned quite often, I will throw DACP in here as well.
    #83, Dual Action Cleaner/Polish = 6

IMO if you were going to use #2 or #1 it would be used before #9. Personally, I would use #9 and forget about #2 and #1.

The fillers in #9 question seems to be open to some debate. Meguiar`s says #9 removes swirls. That doesn`t sound like it fills them to me. They also say it is paintable. Fillers probably aren`t paintable.:dunno

Get the PC, use #9 with a polishing pad, follow it with AIO and UPP and you will love the results. Most common reaction to this combination is " Wow!.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh k thanks....gee 1 and 2 are pretty abrasive in comparison eh..

What about this...if I used P.B.s SSR2, then #9, then Megs DC1 & 2 - and then AIO and UPP....would that be doing too much?? (like, too much for the paint??) Or should it be alright?

BTW, what would DC1&2 be on the megs abrasive scale - about 4????

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by aheyn
    Oh k thanks....gee 1 and 2 are pretty abrasive in comparison eh..

What about this...if I used P.B.s SSR2, then #9, then Megs DC1 & 2 - and then AIO and UPP....would that be doing too much?? (like, too much for the paint??) Or should it be alright?

BTW, what would DC1&2 be on the megs abrasive scale - about 4????
    My Meguiar`s info doesn`t have anything about the consumer line, so I don`t know anything about the Deep Crystal products. I doubt that they would be anywhere near that abrasive, though.

Your SSR2, #9, DC1, DC2, AIO, UPP seems like more steps than needed.
    SSR2, I haven`t used, so I can`t comment on how it leaves the finish. It may or may not need to be followed by #9.
    My paint is usually in pretty good shape so the following works good for me.
    #9 with the PC and a polishing pad. Probably only a couple of times a year,

AIO with the PC and a polishing pad or by hand depending on the mood I am in. About every 3 months.
    UPP with the PC and a finishing pad or by hand. About once a month.
    The UPP doesn`t need to be applied that often, I just like to keep it fresh.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re: megs #1, 2 & 9 - difference?

Originally posted by CharlesW
    On Meguiar`s 0 to 10 scale of abrasiveness.
    #1 = 7
    #2 = 5
    #9 = 3
    Since it is mentioned quite often, I will throw DACP in here as well.
    #83, Dual Action Cleaner/Polish = 6
    I also use the Meguiar`s Professional line of products and this information sounds about right.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re: Re: megs #1, 2 & 9 - difference?

Originally posted by mirrorfinishman
    I also use the Meguiar`s Professional line of products and this information sounds about right.
    lol
    It should. It came from Meguiar`s Professional Product Guide.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used #1 and #2 and the only time I have been impressed with them is when buffing Paint within 48 hours of application. These two products seem to work well for that application however I like DACP better than either of them for removing swirls etc.
    Meguiars makes some great products I wish I could understand their numbering system a little better ... it is all over the map!
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Where does #82 swirlfree polish fit in and what are the key differences between #9 and #82?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kimwallace
    Meguiars makes some great products I wish I could understand their numbering system a little better ... it is all over the map!
    They do have some great products and some confusing names and references. The numbering system doesn`t seem to be related to the products use.
    I guess after 100 years, lots of numbers have been used and revised or discarded.
    A good autobody supply store might be able to give you some advice. They will probably have a Distributor guide that has lots of info in it. It is a large looseleaf binder with MSDS and product reference information. I was lucky enough to be able to read most of one in its entirety. Unfortunately, I was also able to forget most of what I read. There weren`t any great secrets in it, just info about the products and their uses. You have no idea how many products Meguiar`s makes. At least hundreds, maybe a thousand.

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Hellspawn
    Where does #82 swirlfree polish fit in and what are the key differences between #9 and #82?
    Both have the same abrasive rating, 3, and seem to do the same thing.
    What the difference actually is, I have no idea. Maybe none.
    #82 is only available in 32 oz. and gallon sizes. That makes me think it is definitely geared for the professional. #9 can be purchased in 16 oz. as well a gallons which makes it more practical for the enthusiast detailer. 16 oz. will probably last me for years. It doesn`t take much and I don`t use it that often.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Then I guess that the #9 16oz at a nearby oreilly auto parts on clearance (from their stores due to non-selling product) for $5.15 is a pretty good deal then. Picking up 1 during lunch then..

thanks

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Hellspawn
    Then I guess that the #9 16oz at a nearby oreilly auto parts on clearance (from their stores due to non-selling product) for $5.15 is a pretty good deal then. Picking up 1 during lunch then..

thanks
    Probably.
    If it is the current product, it will be Swirl Remover 2.0. If it isn`t the 2.0 version, it could be some old stock. Seems like the 2.0 version has been out for a couple of years now.
    $5.15 is about 1/2 price, I think. Maybe cheaper.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    it was 2.0 off to lunch now. They had some 5.5" yellow megs pads there for $3.99..

Post Thanks / Like
    #9 here in oz is about $18US ($25AUS)!! You guys have got it cheap....there isnt a good quality car product (megs etc.) thats under $20US here...

The reason I said I`d apply DC2 is that would seem more a finishing polish ... the SSR2 would get the swirls out, and #9, but I dont know what the surface will be like - with DC2 it`d be nice and smooth.......then could do AIO and UPP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kimwallace

Meguiar`s products are basically divided into two main categories. Consumer Products and Professional Products. If you look closely at their Professional products you will find that they are in categories based on, Cleaning, Polishing, Protecting and Maintaining.

For more information, here`s a link to the Meguiar`s sitemap that could help. Just scroll down and click on their Professional Products link.
    http://www.meguiars.com/sitemap/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information