Post Thanks / Like

Cool Premium Rim Polish / Wax ?

I`ve mentioned this question in a previous thread a few weeks back, but unfortunately ive had little feedback in that regard.

Im researching a top quality rim/wheel cleaner&polish (preferably for both chrome AND aluminum surfaces), and to follow up with that i was wondering what would be my best route as far as a durable wheel/rim wax.

Ive been reading how various other people wax their rims, and the consesnsus is no particular company/make or model...just any high quality wax when applied, and then buffed off will do the necessary job.

So as far as wheel waxing, im leaning toward S100....but im still stumped on which Rim cleaner/polish is the most versatile and effective.

I appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions.

Thanks.
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Simonize Chrome Cleaner on Chrome and Clearcoated rims and it works very well on both.
    based on a tip I saw here at DC, I now use a sealant on my rims after polishing.
    My preferred product is 4*UPP.
    After applting UPP, I can now wash my rims with car wash shampoo and the dirt just washes away. After a few washings I apply another coat of UPP.
    Hope this helps!
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried wheel wax? I`ve read some good things about it. I guess it even repells brake dust also.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Klasse AIO seems to work pretty good for me on wheels.
    Obviously you can read lots of things of questionable accuracy, but I have read that carnauba wax ,(S100), doesn`t hold up well on wheels because of the heat.
    Could be, but it is another of those "they say" things.
    :dunno
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Kim: So do i understand this correctly? You polish rims (chrome and clearcoated only i assume) with Simonize Chrome Cleaner, then proceed with the 4*UPP as a sealant?

Charles: Thats a consideration that popped into my head too. S100 seems like a premium paint wax, however when applied to the surface of the rims and exposed to such high heat conditions...i doubt it would withstand and remain durable for long. Maybe a polish followed by a synthetic sealant, as Kim pointed out, would be most efficient....hmmm.

Thx for the help, anyone else?
    -Mike

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike, I`d like to say Metal polishing is my "forte"

I have 9 metal polishes right now. If you are looking for a good All metal polish, with protection, go with BOM`s. Another one I use regularly is Adam`s Polishes Aluminum Polish.....by far the best aluminum polish out there, but safe for all metals.

As for protection, you will definitely need a sealant, as S100 will burn instantly. I plan to try Poorboy`s EX-P on my next wheel application.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that a great number of wheels actually have a painted surface you are polishing. Many, (maybe most?) OEM wheels will have clearcoat over the polished metal. My wifes GTP has the polished aluminum Potiac wheels and they are definitely clearcoated. I treat them like any other painted surface. They are cleaned with a wash mitt and regular car wash shampoo. No acid or harsh wheel cleaners. They get Klasse AIO about once a month and the brake dust just washes off.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick: Ill def. look into those products you mentioned, thanks for the tips.

Charles: Thats true, and a good thing to keep in mind. I only use mild wheel lceaners if the wheel condition is just too sever (you`d be surprised how long people go w/out washing/deatiling their cars...the wheels just get caked on with dirt and brake dust too). I use a tough sponge the majority of the time when cleaning wheel, as you mentioned.

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    On painted, I`m a big fan of using some sort of paint polish on them....it obliterates the stuff that gets "baked" on so easily as Poorboy said before.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheel Wax claims to have the ability to repel brake dust - has anyone tried that and does it work any better than any other sealant?

If any of you S&W regularly - do you do anything se=pecial with the wheels? I just use SW and a Walmart MF on them instead of a "good" MF. But I`d love to hear suggestions.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has Anyone used the Zephyr Pro 40 metal polish, Luster Seal or the `Wheel Wax` as found on premiumautocare.com?
    -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I use AIO/UPP on my wheels - works great (like kim said just wash and go and then I re-treat once a month).
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Any light polish should do for clearcoated rims. After that, I either use #20, or AIO to protect the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy`s Pro Polish works great. I always top with a sealant. I have Weehl Wax as well, but like thePro Polish/sealant combo better.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Boss_429
    One of my favorite combo`s on my chrome rims is Poorboy`s Pro Polish followed by Adam`s Brilliance!

I might try topping that combo with EX-P for some added durability!

Thread Information