Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pittsburgh, Pa buy way of Winston-Salem N.C.
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I`m Confused....

O.K. Guys, i`ve been on here about a week now and i`m getting alot of good info. But maybe to much info. can you tell me what steps to take in protecting the paint. I`m looking for some basic steps. I know every detail will be different but i`m just starting out and i don`t have alot of cash to invest in chemicals. Here is what i have come up with so far tell me what you think.

Poorboys:
    SSR1
    Pro Polish
    EX or EX-P

I`ve heard alot of you guys talk about DACP but not sure which steps to use before or after. HELP!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be getting a PC DA polisher and maybe a rotary also. i have a guy who details in my area and has offered to train me on it. i have also used a rotary, working for an airline, polishing airplanes.
    Auto Spa Detailing.. Treat your auto to a day at THE SPA!!!!
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ve selected the best choice, best bang for the buck!

I`d drop the Pro-polish for PB P-w-C instead. The SSR1 is a mild swril remover and will prepare the clear coat for the P-w-C. The toip with the sealant!
    This is what I have been doing for some time and its a great finish
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Well....you have the steps in the correct order.

Poorboys most agressive product is the SSR3 which is for removing heaving marring while the SSR2 is, obviously, less aggressive and the SSR1 is the least aggressive of the Super Swirl Removers...SSR`s.

The Polish`s, either the Pro Polish which has no wax additive, or the Polish with Carnuba are slightly abrasive and leave the finish with a great luster.

Then you add the sealant, either EX (has carnuba wax added to it) or EX-P ....which is a clear sealant, no wax added.

DACP is an abrasive product used to remove swirls...not a Poorboy product, that, according to what I`ve read, is somewhere in between SSR2 & SSR3 in abrasiveness. Chances are all you need, assuming your paint is in good condition, would be SSR1, then polish, then sealant. I like the Pro Polish (no carnuba) then the EX-P (also no carnuba). But those are just preferences as I see that the poster above likes Polish w/carnuba...preferences.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bozack23, welcome to DC.

I know this stuff can easily get overwhelming at times. Here is my take on it, and it really depends on what type of car/color/surface we are dealing with.

Meg`s DACP is a good polish that is stronger than SSR1 and PP, but really is effectively used with a Porter Cable. Maybe substitue that with Poorboy`s SSR2.

Depending on what you are looking for, here is some options: Pro Polish will give you the ultimate in clarity, while SSR1 will give you more of a wet look, and can be substituted for a glaze.

EX gives a warm carnuba glow, semi-wet, whereas EX-P will give you greater clarity and protection overall.

This should be a great start for you.....the only other consideration I could give, for strictly paint, would be this: use a carnuba topper, such as Poorboy`s Natty`s wax over EX-P, or S100/P21S over EX for even greater results!!

Good luck, and hope I was of some help to you!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a very limited budget for chemicals, you`ll need to pick and choose carefully to get the most bang for your buck. Poorboy`s Polish with Carnauba is an excellent product, but Professional Polish is more versatile. PP can be used as a glass polish, metal polish, plastic polish, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    The preferences given are what confused me so much a year ago when I first logged on.

I like the products without carnuba and I don`t top the sealant with carnuba because my truck is white and I found that the carnuba products tend to slightly yellow the look of the white. The polish and sealant without carnuba left a clearer finish.

I didn`t realize that until I got some white overspray on the truck this winter and when I removed the overspray of course it removed the sealant and wax and I could see that the area where I had removed the wax/sealant was brighter than the rest of the truck. The truck looked great and no one would have ever known that the wax and sealant and polish had diminished the whiteness but once part of it was returned to it`s normal color it was very obvious that I wanted to remove the rest of the products from the truck and apply Pro Polish and EX-P.....no carnuba.

Now....if your paint is dark colored maybe you like a product that darkens it more...that might be called wetter, or deeper or whatever. ???? Preferences, opinions.

The process stays pretty much the same: wash (remove surface dirt), clay (pickup the stuck on contaminants) use an abrasive to smooth the paint (get rid of scratches and swirls), then a less abrasive polish (smoothing/polishing makes it shine, like polishing leather shoes), then seal or wax to protect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick thanks for the reply. just to make sure i understand you are suggesting this

Pro Polish or SSR1 followed by
    EX or EX-P
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bozack23
    Nick thanks for the reply. just to make sure i understand you are suggesting this

EX or EX-P
    That is the process. Think of it as a process: clean, smooth, polish, protect. Step by step to a finished product.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Now I`m Confused....

can you tell me what steps to take in protecting the paint.

I`m looking for some basic steps.
    1- Clean
    2- Polish
    3- Protect
    4- Maintain

You can use your favorite cleaners, polishes, sealants, and waxes to accomplish these four basic steps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d use these steps:
    Pro-Polish
    SSR1
    EX-P (x2)

It gives a nice reflective/bright glow. That`s the steps I used recommended by Steve for a bright/reflective look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mirrorfinshman do you have any products you use for your steps.
    I thought SSR1 was considered a cleaner and would come before
    Pro Polish. Thanks to everyone for the replys..
    Last edited by bozack23; 03-18-2004 at 04:25 PM.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I thought SSR1 was considered a cleaner and would come before
    Pro Polish. Thanks to everyone for the replys..
    PP is a cleaner also... it cleans and clears the surface of everything and and SSR1 is also a glaze and gives a nice glow.

Post Thanks / Like

EX or EX-P
    bozack--the confusing part is that most of us use PP and SSR1 in differentiating orders.

Some like to use PP BEFORE SSR1 to get a sweet, clear look, and then add a sort of "wet" look on top of it. Others who use SSR1 before PP are mostly looking for a very, very reflective finish without any swirls what so ever.

Yes, you would follow this "prepping" regimen up with EX or EX-P
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    As you can see, I use Meguiar`s Professional Products. I have listed some of the products that I use depending on vehicle age, color and condition of the paint. I have ordered their new NXT Tech Wax and I`m looking forward to comparing it to some of the other products. Please keep in mind that all of the products I use are applied only by hand.

1- Clean - Meguiar`s #2 Fine Cut Cleaner, #83 DACP, #6 Cleaner Wax
    2- Polish - Meguiar`s #5 New Car Glaze, #7 Show Car Glaze, #81 Hand Polish
    3- Protect - Meguiar`s #20 Polymer Sealant, #26 Yellow Wax, #16 Paste Wax
    4- Maintain - Meguiar`s #34 Final Inspection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information