Post Thanks / Like

engine detailing

First off....I just wanted to say that this is a great forum with a tremendous amount of information!

I have a question about engine detailing. I have 2 vehicles (2002 Saturn SL2 and a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer) and would like to clean the engine compartment. I purchased the Eimann Fabrik engine degreaser and was looking for information on how to use it (or any other product) before I used it.

Not that I was going to do this ( ) BUT what if I didn`t put plastic bags over anything and just sprayed water and degreaser? On two fairly new cars, would it do that much damage?

I haven`t seen too much posted on this and don`t want to ruin anything under the hood. I am new to detailing and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joe and welcome to the forum

I have detailed engines now for a good number of years and have never once placed a plastic baggie over anything in the engine compartment and have never had a bad experience because of this.

My steps are as follows:
    1) Start engine up andl et it run until just warm (not hot), usually just a few minutes.

2) Spray down the fenders and glass with water to diluet any de-greaser overspray.

3) Spray the lower areas of the engine first and let the degreaser dwell for a few minutes.

4) Agitate areas with a stiff brush, you may want to find one witha long handle.

5) Rinse the lower areas down well and then spray the top areas and repeat steps 3-5 until you are satisfied with the results.

Lastly, please do not take just my word for it as I in no way guarantee that your results will be the same as mine. Youmay want to go ahead and take some precautions by covering certain electronic areas.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony

That `s good stuff I have a Mustang Corbra to do alter this week. I will use your method on the motor

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony does seem to give some great advice on this forum, I usually agree completely with what he says. I will add just an extension to what he already wrote. When I finish spraying down the engine, I blow it off with compressed air so water doesn`t get in and "sit" where it shouldn`t. Be sure to get the pullies, alternator, distributor and the like. You can also sometimes start the engine and the motor fan will blow it off as well.
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob,

Thanks for picking that up. I can`t believe I forgot that step

I use an electric leaf blower to blow out the engine myself and then spray the engine down with a water based dressing, like Auto Magics Super Dress It.

Cut it half and half with water, spray the engine down well, let it sit while you finish the rest of the car and then take a sponge and buff the engine down.

Some folks also start the engine and letit run for just a few minutes after the spray the dressing. The thinking is that the heat from the engine will set the dressing better. I am not really sold on this thought though.

Thanks again Rob.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a water based dressing called Autocare mixed at a 10/1. Its the same that I use for wheel wells and under caraige. Makes them look clean and shinny and not oily!
    Again thanks for the adivce I have not been doing motors mainly because I am not set up for it, but I guess I am. I use a pressure washer and that seems to do the job, is that what you guys are using?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t cover the engine when doing an engine but there is one areaof concern. Be careful when using the pressure washer under the hood. My pressure washer is pretty strong and it could knock something loose so I usually have to stand back a few feet when doing the engine.

Since I start with the engine and wheel areas, I let the engine run itself dry for the most part while I start washing the car.

Ringo
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the responses! What do you guys use to clean the area under the hood of the car? I read that you shouldn`t use engine degreaser. Looks like I have some time to research as it is starting to snow here today. UGH!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey JH,

I use a mild degreaser under the hood and I`ve never had any problems. I try to keep the moisture (pressure washer and degreaser) away from the soft padded stuff that`s under many hoods. It takes forever to dry and drips dirty water back onto the engine after it`s been cleaned.

Maybe some of the others can give their opinions also, but the degreaser has worked for me.

Ringo
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    JH,

On the under hood firewall/sound deadening stuff I just vaccum and brush off if it`s not that dirty.

If it is dirty I`ll use either plain water or a convertible top cleaner, like Ragg Topp or 303`s, rinse it (never use a pressure washer, in fact I find no need to use a pressure washer on the engine area), and then proceed to drying it.

Do the underside last as you don`t want water dripping all over you as your cleaning the rest of the engine. For the painted metal and plastic stuff around the firewall I use a soft brush and soap or a used sponge to clean those areas up, a mild degreaser if needed.

To dry the area you can use your wet/dry vac or a leaf blower. I prefer the leaf blower, from a nice distance, start from the top and work my way down. Itis best to vacuum this stuff whenit is dry to semi-dry.

No need to put any kind of dressing on the material because it is useless and would most likely look horrible anyways.

Anthony

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate bringing up old threads, but I figured I could throw in my Newbie 2 cents worth.

Check local Qwik-E-Powerwashers, the ones around here are starting to have a really really really good engine cleaner. I took my 90 Mustang there, and sprayed it really good with the engine cleaner, then blasted it off with just normal water, then used the rinse (distilled water) to get rid of any spotting. I was quite surprised at just how good a job this did, I mean, it did a danged good job. Any extra problems were easily taken care of with Simple Green Automotive, but I rarely find much that needs this.

Anything further, and you need metal polishing.

Thread Information