Post Thanks / Like

What is most important technique/tool to prevent wash related marring?

What is most important technique/tool to prevent wash related marring?

I am thinking about these: foam gun pre-wash, just rinsing well, multiple buckets, lots of soap solution, wash media or using more than one, drying method.....

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is most important technique/tool to prevent wash related marring?

I`d have to say one of the things that has made a noticeable difference to me personally has been using quality MF drying towels coupled with a QD of some sort as a drying aide. Also, as Charles has pointed out before - you have to be sure you get the car clean when you wash so you don`t hit "dirty" spots while drying and drag that across the paint (dryly).
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Avoiding Swirl Marks

Regular washing utilizing the two-bucket plus grit guard system or a foam spray gun and rinse bucket plus grit guard system goes a long way to preserving the paint finish and overall look of your vehicle. Commercial car washes that use strong detergents can dull your paint films surface even faster.

Avoid the use of household detergents as they may contain salt and have a wetting agent allowing the water and salt to penetrate paint surfaces and body joints that may compromise vehicles corrosion protection. Preventing swirls will best be achieved by washing and drying with extreme care. This is the step where the majority of swirls are added so good technique and quality products (micro fibre waffle weave drying towels) are a must.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by togwt View Post
    Avoiding Swirl Marks

Regular washing utilizing the two-bucket plus grit guard system or a foam spray gun and rinse bucket plus grit guard system goes a long way to preserving the paint finish and overall look of your vehicle. Commercial car washes that use strong detergents can dull your paint films surface even faster.

Avoid the use of household detergents as they may contain salt and have a wetting agent allowing the water and salt to penetrate paint surfaces and body joints that may compromise vehicles corrosion protection. Preventing swirls will best be achieved by washing and drying with extreme care. This is the step where the majority of swirls are added so good technique and quality products (micro fibre waffle weave drying towels) are a must.
    I was looking for the most common mistake that leads to swirls. There are too many pro detailers using a one bucket method and no grit guards without issues so my guess there is something else.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

Swirls, in my opinion, are created by debris in your media OR using materials that are not 100% scratch free. I like to insure perfectly clean wash and dry media. I inspect my MF wash mitt prior to touching the paint and I don`t use ANY pressure on the paint. I also use a foam gun and 2 grit guard equipped buckets, one for each half of the vehicle. A lid is kept on the second bucket while I wait to get to it for the second half of the vehicle. LIGHT PRESSURE as the soapy solution helps break the tension of the dirt on the paint and you don`t need to scrub the finish. Rinse the wash media after each section.

I then inspect my WW MF towels prior to drying and anything that might be in the fibers is removed. Again, very light pressure and for really soft paint I use the blot method (after the drip method if the vehicle has a good LSP present).

I own a black car so these methods have become standard in my routine.
    Tampa, FL

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

better soaps and quality wash mitts would be the place to start ... using a QD while drying for added lubrication will also help ... there is no one item that will prevent swirls from washing, but an overall process as mentioned by others already ...and again this process will be different for many as the amount and kind of dirt invloved will play a big part
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

QD as a drying aid, and good ww towels.
    2 bucket method and grit guards, of course.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 2 bucket method with grit guards. also I just recently discovered that using a leaf blower to dry your car off works well. Yes I`ve read many post`s on using the leaf blower to dry the car off but I felt weird doing so up until this point. I think I will utilize the lead blower a little more now. Also if you have a compressed air tank at your disposal that work`s just as well too.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    I`d have to say one of the things that has made a noticeable difference to me personally has been using quality MF drying towels coupled with a QD of some sort as a drying aide. Also, as Charles has pointed out before - you have to be sure you get the car clean when you wash so you don`t hit "dirty" spots while drying and drag that across the paint (dryly).
    Yup! If I had to pick one, that would be it.

Use some good common sense while washing. Pay careful attention to your wash media. I do use 2 buckets, but for decades before I used 2 buckets I got by with only one and I`ve never used a grit guard. I used sponges primarily for my wash media, but have also used chenile mits/sponges and sheepskin mitts, all seem to be pretty safe though for really dirty vehicles I think sponges rinse free of dirt/grime easier than the other two options.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I was looking for the most common mistake that leads to swirls. There are too many pro detailers using a one bucket method and no grit guards without issues so my guess there is something else.
    The most common causes of scratches to a paint film surface

•Improper methodology / tools used when washing paint surface. This is the most common cause of surface scratching / marring) and accounts for as much as 75% + of surface marring
    •A large proportion of all paintwork scratches are caused by automated car washes. Minute particles of hard materials, such as road dust and sand, become lodged in the rotating brushes and etch scratches into the paint surface. These “hair-line” scratches are particularly noticeable in darker paint shades.
    •Using an automated car wash or using an unsuitable applicator or brush to clean the vehicle or remove snow etc
    •Placing or dragging an object across the boot lid
    •Jewellery (rings, bracelets, etc) coming into contact with paint (i.e. rings abrading door handle recess)
    •Using too much pressure with a car duster on a dusty / dirty surface
    •Pulling a car-cover over a very dusty / dirty vehicle or dirt /grit on the inside of the cover
    •Wiping a dry surface with a dry cloth
    •Infrequent rinsing of brush or wash mitt when washing vehicle
    •Using a dirty towel (dirt / grit trapped in fibres) or towels and / or applicators that contain polyester (plastic) threads
    •Using a towel or cloth that is unsuitable for paint film surfaces
    •Not thoroughly rinsing road grime before drying
    •Using a car wash concentrate that doesn’t suspend grit / dirt before it gets rinsed away
    •Improper use of a water-blade (i.e. not rinsing blade surface after each pass)
    •Wiping a spot of dirt / dust with your hands to maintain a ‘pristine’ look
    •Using an unnecessarily abrasive automotive detailer’s clay or insufficient lubrication

An extract from one of a series of 110 in-depth, unbiased “Detailing Technical Papers” © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information