Post Thanks / Like

Cutting Pad vs Polishing Pad

I see there are cutting, polishing and finishing pads. When using PC what`s the difference in the cutting and polishing pads? And when would I want to use which? I have some linear scratches from winter`s ice that never came out when I used Griot`s polishes. Wax might fill them, but Zaino Z5 had no affect on them.

Also will repeated polishing with SSR2 alleviate any orange peel? Would SSR3 have any affect?

Sorry for so many question. I`m just trying to compile the right first order from Premium Auto Care. I guess I still have plenty of time. I don`t see spring any time soon up here.

Boss_429
    The cutting pad is more aggressive than the polishing pad. When used with the same product, the cutting pad will remove slightly more paint. I would start with a polishing pad and a mildly aggressive product to see if will remove the scratches.

As for removing the orange peel with SSR2, or SSR3? Well, if you went at it long enough with those products, it might remove them, depending on how bad they are? However, I wouldn`t count on it. The best way to remove orange peel is by color sanding................. at that`s a big project that you may not want to take on.

You will probably have to live with the orange peel.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to check our Classic Motoring Accessories http://www.properautocare.com/
    They are an excellent source for pc`s, pads and the products that go with them. They give very good information on what pad and product to use for different problems.

For your scratches, you might as well go with a cutting pad and DACP. I guarantee it will take several applications to get rid of the scratches. Between each application spray the area with a 50/50 alcohol water soluton. This will remove any fillers and allow you to see how much of the scratch is left. You may or may not need to follow this with a less aggressive polish.

Forget about trying to remove orange peel with a pc. I`ve tried it. It doesn`t work. As for wet sanding, unless you are an "expert", don`t attempt it on a car that you value. I tried that too.

Tom :cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just keep one thing in mind. You are removing some paint when you use an aggressive polish and pad. You don`t remove the scratch, you remove the paint around it. Don`t get carried away and polish through the clearcoat. It would take a while but it could happen. That`s why it is recommended to try the least aggressive pad and product first.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles,

I guess old age is slipping in, I`m not as patient as I used to be. I`ve also read on several other forums of how often folks use pretty aggressive stuff at least twice a year on their vehicles. I use DACP only where I need it and a gentler polish for the rest of my truck.
    I also plan to keep this truck only 3 years. I agree that you have to be careful, but a pc and DACP is a pretty safe combination.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Thread Information