Thread: Pressure Washer

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure Washer

I`m just curious to see if anyone else has experienced problems with their pressure washer parts. I`m already on my 3rd lance/nozzle this detailing season. I`m also getting a new pump for my unit because the old one is running kind of rough so I`ll get it serviced and use it as a backup once I ge the new one.

I try to maintain my equipment but maybe I`m missing something. I change the oil and plugs regularly and inspect the filter on the inlet port pretty regularly. If nobody else is having these issues then I must have bad luck or maybe just faulty equipment.

I have a Honda 5.0/GC160 engine with a Comet pump (2400 psi).

Ringo
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    it may have to do with the area you are located in. If you have hard water or high mineral content it will eat seals and such much more quickly. You may want to look into installing a mineral filter on the inlet side. that may help :dunno

Post Thanks / Like
    You can read my post on the water softener:
    http://www.detailcity.com/forums/sho...7372#post47372
    Also with pressure washers remember to flush the solution hose and pump out if you use soap/chems in your water. Hard water can build up in your wand. To test it dip your nozzle in CLR for a few minutes and recheck it. If it`s hard water deposits, it will dissolve in CLR and the nozzle will work fine.
    Can you describe your problem a little more?
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rhillstr
    Can you describe your problem a little more?
    Thanks for your replies....

I don`t use the chemical injectors but hard water may be an issue so I will try the CLR suggestion.

Well the pump started leaking oil which I`m sure was just wear and tear (worn seals) so I purchased another pump and I`ll get the first pump serviced to use as a backup.

My other problem is that I keep losing pressure or it takes 20-30 seconds for the pressure to get up to full speed. This problem is fixed once I change the lance and nozzle but I`m on my 3rd set of so far this year which seems to be too much. It`s gotten to the point that I keep an extra lance and nozzle with me when working.

I worked on the pressure washer yesterday afternoon and it seems to be fine for now. I`ll see how it holds up over time but I appreciate the help and if you have any other maintenance suggestions send them on as I`m always open to suggestions.
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a commercial grade unit. I had your set up once (bought at sams club) and it lasted me about 2 months. I tossed it and bought a Honda 5.5 GX with a cat pump 4 years ago, trouble free years.

Expect to pay about $780 - $820 for that set up.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I`m trying to get another unit on the road within the next year and then when I truly upgrade, I think I`ll go with a Kranzle unit. These pressure washers are made in Germany and so far they have an excellent reputation. You can leave it running without opening the trigger and no harm will be done to the pump.

I hear you though about the Cat pumps...I hear they re extremely durable. I would have gotten a Cat pump but they didn`t have one in stock to fit my engine and the Comet was ready to go.

BTW Superior......I like your rig.

Thanks....
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    stay away from residential karcher products, mine lasted 2 month. I had 2.5gpm 2400 psi 5.0 hp Gd160
    unit with karcher pump.
    "A Auto Detailing"
    Charlotte, NC

Thread Information