Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

UPP after one year

Ok guys, I feel I`m entitled to do this question again after one year.

Last year I bought my UPP, it took long to get here but it did. A white, cream in consistence, nice smelling product that I was expecting for almost two moths.

After the first application, following the instructions, apply thin, wait one hour, and remove, I noticed a lot of smearing.

I asked about it and the usual answers, too much product, humidity and so on.

I`ve used it maybe 10 times till now, on 3 or 4 different cars, with different colors, and always that smearing.

The last time I used it was on my car hood, and after wiping it a lot (moving product around ???) I decided to use the just bought Platinum GE, which helped a lot in the effort to remove UPP residues. Maybe any other QD would have helped.

Lately I`ve read people who tell UPP is a liquid product, easy to use, and so on.

I`ve used on the last year almost everything there is to use, from SG to EX, from Z5 to GW. I never had a problem on applying thin or removing products.

What`s the deal with UPP? Is it my bottle?

(please describe your UPP, thickness, smell, color, etc :doh )
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thickness - Creamy, fairly thick, close to the consistency of indoor house paint.

Smell - Somewhat of a chemical smell. Again similar to a paint smell. It isn`t very strong. Until just now, I could not have told you what it smelled like and I have been using it since June or July of 2002.

Color - Off white. Not really white, but not tan either.

Usually I have applied it by hand with a Meguiar`s foam pad, but I have applied it with the PC and a Meguiar`s finishing pad.
    Ambient temperature at the time of use has varied from about 60* to 95*
    Humidity, whatever it might be that day. In Iowa that varies from 20% to 90%
    Normal wait time to dry is 45 minutes to an hour.
    Removal is with a MF towel, plush, but not an expensive one. Either Pak Shak or Premium Auto Care MF.
    When I first started using UPP, I didn`t have any MF towels and I used 100% cotton terry to remove all my products. To be honest about it, I still quite often use a cotton terry towel for many if not all of my procedures. It`s kind of whatever is handy.

I have applied products very thin for years so that was no problem for me.
    UPP has never smeared or streaked on removal. It wipes off almost like a layer of dust. Hardly any pressure on the towel is needed.

You are not alone, though. I have read of others having this problem and I always blamed it on the user not knowing how to use the product correctly. That would certainly not apply in your case.
    :dunno Wish I could be of some help, but I haven`t a clue.

If you supply the plane ticket, I would love to visit Portugal and we could try to work this problem out.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    MY UPP smells like bubble gum and has what I would describe as a medium to thick consistency.

When I use it(I used some earlier today), I shake it VERY well, more out of habit than anything else.

I apply it via PC with a finishing pad. I find this to be more efficient and I use less product.

I have used UPP on several different vehicles, light, dark, in between, metallic, non-metallic, etc. I have never had an issue with streaking.

Living in Memphis I can tell you that if humidity was a factor, I would know about it. I do find that I need to leave it on for AT LEAST one hour before removing in the summer.

What is your normal prep? Do you have UPC or do you AIO?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried UPC, AIO, whatever. After over 1 hour of waiting it`s just like dragging product, not dusting it.

The smear is such that last year, a costumer of my where I used it in a champagne colored car noticed it! I said it was cause it wasn`t fully cured, but it was visible.

I`ve read how people compare the ease of use with WG, and that was really intrigue to me, as WG is SO easy to use, as it is EX-P.

?????

Charles, I`m sure you can afford the ticket to come here. It`s a wonderful place for vacation and it`s cheap. I can help you on this side, and we could make the 1st international DC meeting. :hippi
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s weird - My UPP is a thin white - has a chemical smell (solvant) - this is when you open the top and wiff - back of the bottle in the lower right by the UPC code it is marked F-PP16. I have never had a problem combined with AIO. I have applied it by hand and by PC..waiting as short at 30 mins to as long as an hour it has come right off like dust...
    You have activated my special ability....

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    MY UPP smells like bubble gum
    Bubble gum????
    Wow, mine sure doesn`t smell like bubble gum. It doesn`t really smell bad, but it sure isn`t bubble gum.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    Bubble gum????
    Wow, mine sure doesn`t smell like bubble gum. It doesn`t really smell bad, but it sure isn`t bubble gum.

Charles
    :dunno I just went back into the garage to make sure that I wasn`t crazy. It definitely smells like bubble gum, I smell no solvents at all.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    :dunno I just went back into the garage to make sure that I wasn`t crazy. It definitely smells like bubble gum, I smell no solvents at all.

I may have to order more UPP just so I can have some that smells like bubble gum. Might have to order a couple and see if I can get one that is a thin consistency like Groebuck`s.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to recall hearing that there have been at least 3 versions of UPP over the past couple of years. (Maybe Dwayne can help shed some light on this?) Anyway, I have some UPP which is supposed to be the latest version. I just gave it a whiff, and I agree with EBPcivicsi - It smells like bubble gum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by awd330
    I seem to recall hearing that there have been at least 3 versions of UPP over the past couple of years. (Maybe Dwayne can help shed some light on this?) Anyway, I have some UPP which is supposed to be the latest version. I just gave it a whiff, and I agree with EBPcivicsi - It smells like bubble gum.
    SHEW, I was begining to think that I was going crazy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just smelled my bottle of UPP (no was was looking fortunately) and it definitely doesn`t smell like bubblegum - not my bottle - more like solvents or chemicals. But I`m a novice and it has never once caused any smearing and has always come off very easily and quite completely.
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

Post Thanks / Like
    My bottle smells like solvents also.
    I have never had a smearing or streaking problem.
    Best bet is to call Dwayne and discuss this problem with him.
    UPP is one of the cleanest removing products I have used
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kimwallace
    Best bet is to call Dwayne and discuss this problem with him.
    Do you know how much it would cost JGV to :phone: Dwayne :bigscream :eek
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d be happy to try posting a picture of my UPP (maybe put a little blob on a towel?). What would you like to see for comparison? AIO, EX, EX-P, PwC? Taking suggestions here. :dunno

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    Do you know how much it would cost JGV to :phone: Dwayne :bigscream :eek
    Yeah, but it`s for the car so it will be OK.

Charles

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information