Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: engine dressing

Post Thanks / Like

engine dressing

is it a water based dressing you have to put on engine hoses etc?

if so what do you suggest to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Griots undercarriage spray. ( Griotsgarage.com )
    Before you do it, spray wd40 on all wires and electrical parts. It repels water. Then I spray the entire engine with the undercarriage spray. (make sure the engine is cool!) Let it sit about 10 minutes, then wipe the access off.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Spray compartment with a good APC mixture
    2. Let sit for 2-4 minutes
    3. High pressure rinse
    4. Respray difficult areas again
    5. Agitiate with brass brush
    6. High pressure rine
    7. Use wheel brush with double concetration car shampoo to clean all parts
    8. High pressure rinse
    9. Wipe big areas dry with terry towel
    10. Wait 30-45 minutes
    11. Spray with Stoner`s Trim Shine to give a glossy look

Hope my methods are good!
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    It is always a good idea to protect the electronics. (plugs, distributor) Never count on these things to be water tight. It only takes a little water in the wrong place to keep the engine from running correctly, and guess who the customer will be upset with. A small plastic bag and some masking tape works well.
    I treat them all like they are my very own.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats always a good safe guard, but you really on need be this concerned in a very shabby car. Most cars have safeguards and what not to prevent any type of problems. And you could always disconnect the negative on the battery if needbe.

Oh and also, if you let the car air dry for several hours before starting it up, there should very little if any water still sitting around, so problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, you do need to be VERY concerned, especially on newer cars. Many manufacturers have TSB`s stating that only Non-corrosive cleaner be used to clean the engines as they are having problems with electrical failures. Ever price an ECM for a BMW? Several thousand dollars! A product like Pro Wax C-55 is a good choice.

Moreover, solvent based dressings should not be used on the engine do to flash off. It is generally recommended that water based dressings be used. Meguiar`s Engine Kote comes to mind as a good choice.

Modern electronics use capacitors that are still charged for quite sometime AFTER the battery is disconnected. If water gets into them, they are had it along with several other electronic parts. There are no safe guards that prevent water entry. All the electronics should be covered: alt., dist., power distr. box, ECM, water in and around the plug holes( really bad on mini vans using the Nissan 3.0L engine!!) etc, etc.... .

No offense, but it is a lot more dangerous than you think. Most Pro detailers I know, stay away from the engine compartments unless it is a hand wipe down for a car show. I will not touch one as I really do not want to have to pay $1000`s on electrical damage.

Again, this is not a flame. Just some info that I thought you should be aware of.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2hotford
    Actually, you do need to be VERY concerned, especially on newer cars. Many manufacturers have TSB`s stating that only Non-corrosive cleaner be used to clean the engines as they are having problems with electrical failures. Ever price an ECM for a BMW? Several thousand dollars! A product like Pro Wax C-55 is a good choice.

Moreover, solvent based dressings should not be used on the engine do to flash off. It is generally recommended that water based dressings be used. Meguiar`s Engine Kote comes to mind as a good choice.

Modern electronics use capacitors that are still charged for quite sometime AFTER the battery is disconnected. If water gets into them, they are had it along with several other electronic parts. There are no safe guards that prevent water entry. All the electronics should be covered: alt., dist., power distr. box, ECM, water in and around the plug holes( really bad on mini vans using the Nissan 3.0L engine!!) etc, etc.... .

No offense, but it is a lot more dangerous than you think. Most Pro detailers I know, stay away from the engine compartments unless it is a hand wipe down for a car show. I will not touch one as I really do not want to have to pay $1000`s on electrical damage.

Again, this is not a flame. Just some info that I thought you should be aware of.
    Very good info! I agree totally.

Griots Undercarriage Spray is not something I would use in the engine compartment.....it `s a solvent based product. Like 2hot said...only water based dressings in the engine area. I differ on the merits of Meg`s Engine Kote. If you want to use a Meg`s product try their W-Dressing from the Detailer Line. Very versatile and inexpensive.

When I do detail an engine bay I use aluminum foil to cover things I don`t want to get wet. It scrunches down easily over whatever you need to cover and stays in place.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

cover electronics

Originally posted by NattyBumppo

When I do detail an engine bay I use aluminum foil to cover things I don`t want to get wet. It scrunches down easily over whatever you need to cover and stays in place.

Natty
    I also use aluminum foil to cover things when doing the engine.
    Then I add potatoes and onions and leave the engine idling while I do the rest of the car. In about an hour and a half; mmm, mmm, good!

(Sorry, couldn`t resist)

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I also agree with 2hotford....as someone who detailed many top end vehicles and street rods, I never put a hose to an engine...it may take a lot more time to hand clean hard to reach areas, but the consequences are not worth using a stream of water....today`s electronics and sensors are just too sensitive and even covering them is not always foolproof....
    I use Spray and Wipe to clean most everything and then some degreaser where needed...after I use either Bold N Bright for a higher gloss or Natural Look for a lower satin gloss over all the rubber and plastics...blotting any extra after a few minutes...
    this is what detailing is all about ..the details...

As a side note....sometimes putting the vehicle on a lift for underneath cleaning and removal of front wheels for extra angles is needed....anyone who would want their engine compartment that clean will never agrue about the time or cost involved...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add one more thing to all of this......

Dan, I would be careful with the high pressure rinsing (especially 2-3 times per car). I`m no mechanic, but I`ve knocked hoses loose with my hand so I`m sure a pressure washer can cause some problems if you`re not careful.
    Ringo

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I dont use a pressure washer, im just talking about the jet nozzle on my hose thingy (Now wasn`t that descriptive).

Post Thanks / Like

trim

stoners trim shine is the aersol can spray that you can buy at the store right

i just want to make sure im buying the right one, i know they also make liquid dressings

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stoner`s Trim Shine is the aresol, right. I find it better than Stoner`s MSLT, and its pretty much going to be one of the easiet engine dressings you can buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you read the above posts about cleaning and dressing the engine compartment???

Post Thanks / Like
    I just cleaned my engine compartment today. I followed most recommendations given up by Natty and a few others, such as aluminum foil to cover, and it worked great. Used Orange Blast for the cleaning, but I did not scrub very much (I shoulda). First time I have used any dressing under the hood and I kinda got a little crazy with my new bottle of BoldnBrite (now my half full new bottle). Had to clean up some pooling, but it looks good though.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information