Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dalton
    AWD. You can come test it on my car if you want. My SSR1 and EX-p should be here monday and I am not far from you!!! LOL
    Dalton - I`ll keep your offer in mind! In the meantime, I will see if I can gather up some additional panels in the form of my neighbor`s cars. Unfortunately, the weather forecast is not cooperating for this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks AWD. In th meantime, can you tell me your technique for using SSR1 by hand. I dont want to mess anything up the first time I use it.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a follow-up to my earlier EX-P review. I added a third vehicle to the test fleet this weekend. It is my “garage queen” (a 2003 seal grey Porsche Boxster). For this detail, my goal was to compare prep (SSR1 vs. Vanilla Moose), EX versions (EX-P vs. regular EX), and carnauba paste waxes (Natty’s vs. S100). I divided up the car into 12 panels with a total of 9 different product combos. The combos were:

VM, EX-P
    VM, EX
    VM, S100
    VM, Natty`s
    AIO, VM, S100
    SSR1, EX-P
    SSR1, EX
    SSR1, S100
    SSR1, Natty`s

As with the 2 previously mentioned cars, I began the process by using Poorboy’s Spray and Wipe. Then, I drew an imaginary line down the middle of the car and prepped the left side with Vanilla Moose and the right side with SSR1. The only exception was the convertible top boot which was prepped with Klasse AIO followed by VM. All of the prep layers were applied by PC with polishing pads. Afterwards, I applied one layer of EX-P, EX, Natty’s, and S100 to various panels. The EX products were applied by PC using finishing pads. The paste waxes were applied by hand using foam applicators.

As Boss_429 surmised, VM and SSR1 produced very similar results. VM had a slight edge in wetness, while SSR1 had the advantage in removing some micro-marring. Otherwise, the two were quite similar in appearance. Contrast this with the earlier comparisons involving PwC, PP, and VM. Those three products resulted in more distinct differences in appearance.

I stand by my theory that EX and S100 produce similar results while EX-P’s attributes more closely resemble Natty’s Wax. For this particular car, I preferred the looks of VM with EX more than any of the other combos as it resulted in an exceptionally rich and glossy finish. S100 was similar, but just a notch lower in depth. EX-P provided a brighter and lighter appearance. Natty’s was also brighter, but the coloring was more similar to S100 and regular EX. EX-P did not conceal paint imperfections as well as the 3 carnauba based products.

In response to an inquiry by 2drtahoez71`s, I threw Klasse AIO into the mix as a step preceding VM/S100. I saw no difference between the AIO/VM/S100 panel and the VM/S100 panel. However, this car’s paint was already in good condition and did not require any pre-cleaning steps.

In this photo, the right fender is SSR1/EX. The right side of the hood is SSR1/EX-P. The left side of the hood is VM/EX-P. There is very little difference between the two sides of the hood. While the fender is a bit glossier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here, the panel on the left is the trunk lid with has VM/EX on the left and SSR1/EX on the right. The other panel is the convertible top boot which has the AIO/VM/S100 combo. Both panels look similar, but the trunk lid has slightly more depth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although regular EX does not enhance metallic paint sparkle as prominently as EX-P does, it still allows the flakes to shine through.

Post Thanks / Like
    To conclude this first look at EX-P, let me recap my observations –

EX-P is an exceptionally user friendly product. It’s simple to apply and remove, and does not appear to stain trim. It’s most favorable attributes are it’s clarity, reflectivity, and ability to make metallic paint sparkle. The only drawback I noticed was that EX-P did not conceal paint flaws as well as carnauba products. I suppose this is the trade off for the other positive appearance attributes.

You can take full advantage of EX-P’s best qualities by applying Pro Polish as a base layer. However, you can also fine tune the look to match your specific preferences by altering your choice of base layers.

All of the products mentioned in this review are of the highest quality. No matter what product combinations you choose to try, the resulting finish will be one that’s very eye catching. The casual observer may not be able to discern the subtle differences in shine properties. They will just notice that your car shines!

Boss_429
    awd330,

What can I say.............. great testing, great info, and great results!

I`m not even going to ask more questions, as I think you need a break!

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s most favorable attributes are it’s clarity, reflectivity, and ability to make metallic paint sparkle. The only drawback I noticed was that EX-P did not conceal paint flaws as well as carnauba products. I suppose this is the trade off for the other positive appearance attributes.
    and so is zaino. any thoughts on this?
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jgv
    I haven`t personally tried Zaino, though I have seen a well maintained car that was prepared with Zaino products. From what I can remember, I would say that Zaino results in a glossier finish. EX-P`s look is a little cleaner, especially if it`s preceded with Pro Polish. We`ll have to wait for others with experience using both products to chime in with their observations.

Jose - you have Zaino, correct? After you have a chance to use your bottle of EX-P, would you please post your thoughts on Zaino vs. EX-P?

Boss_429
    Originally posted by jgv
    jgv,

I`ve only used one coat of EX-P, so this may not be completely accurate, but I think the EX-P is closer to Z2, where Z5 is a bit wetter and glossier.

I could be wrong though, as I haven`t used "Z" in a while, and a side by side test would be required for more accurate results.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sure it`s a lot easier to apply than Zaino and I`ll bet that any observer would be very hard pressed to be able to tell the difference in performance.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sure it`s a lot easier to apply than Zaino and I`ll bet that any observer would be very hard pressed to be able to tell the difference in performance.
    Those were my thoughts..............
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi...New to the forum here, but been a detail nut for a while! I am planning on using EX-P with VM as soon as I get my EX-P. I`ve got a combo of EX/NXT/S100 on the car now, and I plan on using VM again and then hitting it with some EX-P. If anyone sees a problem with this approach, chime in, please! Also, any idea if EX-P can be layered in with Klasse or Z? I am also assuming that EX-P can be layered on top of itself like other sealants??!? Thanks for all of your help!

Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by OneQuickGT1
    Hi...New to the forum here, but been a detail nut for a while! I am planning on using EX-P with VM as soon as I get my EX-P. I`ve got a combo of EX/NXT/S100 on the car now, and I plan on using VM again and then hitting it with some EX-P. If anyone sees a problem with this approach, chime in, please! Also, any idea if EX-P can be layered in with Klasse or Z? I am also assuming that EX-P can be layered on top of itself like other sealants??!? Thanks for all of your help!

Brett
    Brett - :welcome to Detail City!

My 2 cents regarding your plan to overlay EX/NXT/S100 with VM/EX-P -
    Vanilla Moose may not have enough cleaning properties to remove the preceding layers, and placing all 5 products on top of each other may not bring the best results. One of the best qualities of EX-P is its clarity. You will not be able to take advantage for that characteristic unless you strip off the EX/NXT/S100 first.

I don`t think anyone has yet tried layering EX-P with Klasse or Zaino. I have tried two coats of EX-P which did result in a more glossy finish than a single coat. However, I can`t say whether or not it can truly be layered. The improved look with the second coat could just be a result of more complete coverage rather than true layerability (is that a word?). We will need to wait for more people to try various product combinations and then report back with their results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my final plan is in place. I will be using some 1Z polishes as my base, followed by EX-P. I am sure the look will be great, but if time allows, I may just have to try using a little Klasse inbetween layers to see if it changes the look. I prefer Klasse over Zaino, as to me, it seems less plastic looking. As always, I am sure there will be differing opinions. Just my opinion and preference...As usual, any thoughts are appreciated, otherwise I look forward to using these new products!

Brett

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information