Post Thanks / Like

Question Is this a good polisher for a beginner ?

Craftsman 10 in. Buffer/Polisher

Turtlewax polisher

Also it is easy to find pads for it ?
    Last edited by Webb; 04-03-2004 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are not many active posters here who use an orbital buffer like that - or rather at least they don`t post about using orbitals like that. I think that most here would recommend a Porter Cable 7424 or 7336sp for a beginner.

Here are some important differences that I see from the specs.
    price - PC with the needed pads will run you $130 at detailking.com - you can get a basic machine with it`s one standard pad for about $110 to $120 or so from a variety of places including premiumautocare.com our sponser (after detailcity coupon discount). If you are unsure about this hobby - you will find that PC`s like this hold their price very well should you decide to sell it on ebay.

Speed - the Craftsman and the Turtle Wax both have fixed speeds at 2800. The PC has a variable speed from 2500 to 6000. When using mine - I spend most of the time in the higher speed settings.

Power - the PC packs a heavy duty 3.7 amp motor vs the 1.1 amp motor in the others

Size - the PC is much smaller and allows you to polish/wax/buff areas you can not access with the bigger machines

weight - 8-10 pounds vs about 6 pounds for the pc. while a seemingly small difference - the lower weight combined with the different design makes it possible ot use the PC with one hand if you desire

capability - the higher speeds and power make it possible to remove minor swirls and oxidation and other blemishes with PC. The oribtals you referenced are less capable in that area.

And the PC is widely regarded as safe for use even by a novice like me!!

If money is an overriding concern, you might look into http://www.topoftheline.com/minorpol.html it has a higher speed at 4000 and smaller size for accessing tighter areas. I have seen a simlar looking machine at Pepboys but I didn`t examine it to see if it`s the same. And I believe you can find the same machine on ebay for a little less. If you go ebay - you want to make sure you get a dual-action, oscillating or random orbital machine - not a rotary. Rotary machines take practice to master and can damage things if you make a mistake. I`ve never used one on a car but I car attest to damage you can do with a rotary machine when woodworking!

Hope that helps!
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    I have the Waxmaster 7000 from Pepboys which is similiar to the 10in you reference. It has the low fixed speed but has one handle like the PC. I tried using it once to remove oxidation and it didn`t work very well. I just use it now if I am doing a wash/wax. It is nice to use to spread product because it is lighter than the PC.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this a good polisher for a beginner ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Webb
    [B]Craftsman 10 in. Buffer/Polisher

In a word.....NO.

I`ve got one of those Craftsman "polishers" and it`s in its case in the back of the closet and will likely not see daylight unitl it goes in the garage sale for $5 or less some day. They are just plain useless.

The post from Dalmore is great! Really well researched and complete and tells the story.

Note that the Wen polisher he referenced has only a .48 amp motor. That translates to high speed buy no torque, no power. That means you can`t put any pressure on it to get out swirls etc.

The PC is the only choice. Sorry ....but that`s what almost all of us use ...except those who use a rotary and that`s only a few who are experienced, skilled and knowledgeable......pros usually....guys that use them every day.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dalmore
    ... PC with the needed pads will run you $130 at detailking.com - you can get a basic machine with it`s one standard pad for about $110 to $120 or so from a variety of places including premiumautocare.com our sponser (after detailcity coupon discount). ...
    Ooops that should have been $180. My mistake. :flameon
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy B-day Dalmore!! I just checked your profile and I see you have graduated into the old farts catagory! LBy the way...life does begin at forty. I`d love to be young again but I wouldn`t want to have to go back and learn all that stuff over again. Phew....have to wonder how ya got through it. That learnin process dammed near killed this kid!!
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dalmore
    There are not many active posters here who use an orbital buffer like that - or rather at least they don`t post about using orbitals like that. I think that most here would recommend a Porter Cable 7424 or 7336sp for a beginner.

Here are some important differences that I see from the specs.
    price - PC with the needed pads will run you $130 at detailking.com - you can get a basic machine with it`s one standard pad for about $110 to $120 or so from a variety of places including premiumautocare.com our sponser (after detailcity coupon discount). If you are unsure about this hobby - you will find that PC`s like this hold their price very well should you decide to sell it on ebay.

Speed - the Craftsman and the Turtle Wax both have fixed speeds at 2800. The PC has a variable speed from 2500 to 6000. When using mine - I spend most of the time in the higher speed settings.

Power - the PC packs a heavy duty 3.7 amp motor vs the 1.1 amp motor in the others

Size - the PC is much smaller and allows you to polish/wax/buff areas you can not access with the bigger machines

weight - 8-10 pounds vs about 6 pounds for the pc. while a seemingly small difference - the lower weight combined with the different design makes it possible ot use the PC with one hand if you desire

capability - the higher speeds and power make it possible to remove minor swirls and oxidation and other blemishes with PC. The oribtals you referenced are less capable in that area.

And the PC is widely regarded as safe for use even by a novice like me!!

If money is an overriding concern, you might look into http://www.topoftheline.com/minorpol.html it has a higher speed at 4000 and smaller size for accessing tighter areas. I have seen a simlar looking machine at Pepboys but I didn`t examine it to see if it`s the same. And I believe you can find the same machine on ebay for a little less. If you go ebay - you want to make sure you get a dual-action, oscillating or random orbital machine - not a rotary. Rotary machines take practice to master and can damage things if you make a mistake. I`ve never used one on a car but I car attest to damage you can do with a rotary machine when woodworking!

Hope that helps!
    Wow, great post! I was going to answer this post last night but didn`t have time to do it thoroughly. I figured just answering no and no would be rude. I couldn`t have said this any better.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    The following is some of a post I made quite some time ago.
    It still reflects my feelings, even after several months have passed.

Several years back, I purchased a Wen 10" orbital buffer. It had an amperage rating of over 3 amps, but I don`t remember the exact rating. The only reason I mention it is to point out it was not really lacking in power. I used it some for the first 2 - 3 months I owned it and after that it stayed in the box, unused, for several years. This summer, I tried it again. Back in the box and then given to a friend. It was more hassle than it was worth. Changing the bonnets was a PIA.

Since then I have purchased a PC 7336 and there is no comparison. With the velcro backing plate, changing pads is a 5 second job. The machine is much easier to work with and probably does a much better job. I can`t say for sure since the WEN never really got much use.

Now for something to start a discussion. IMO, Unless you have swirl removal to do, the PC isn`t really necessary to do a good job of taking care of your car.
    Easier? Yes.
    Better? Probably a little better distribution of product.
    Faster? Maybe, but remember, you also have to consider the time you spend getting it out, putting it away, and hand washing the foam pads as part of the overall time spent.

My vehicles are in pretty good shape to start with and the products I use, Klasse AIO, 4 Star UPP, S100 Cleaner, and S100 wax, are all so easy to apply and remove that the benefit is not all that great to me. So far, it seems that about 1/2 the time, I don`t even bother with the PC.

If you can afford one, by all means get one. If it stretches your budget, use the money to buy something you really need.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JimS
    Happy B-day Dalmore!! I just checked your profile and I see you have graduated into the old farts catagory! ...
    I`ve been eating lots of chili this week.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a good write-up about the PC.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1430487&page=1

With Aloha,
    Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    When I get one probably it will only for polishing.

Thread Information