Post Thanks / Like

UPP & Vanilla Moose - The "WOW" factor

This week I spent a long weekend in New York and brought some of my detail supplies with me. Yeah this is how I relax. I had spectacular results with DACP/Vanilla Moose/Ultimate Platinum. I have previously used AIO, UPC, and even Menzerna FP before UPP all with great results. The Vanilla Moose was IMO a big difference. There were no bonding or streaking problems, not that I ever had those before. The difference is that VM added much more depth. UPP has such a high gloss without being sterile, but the polishes used before it seem to just add smoothness and gloss and a little depth. By the way I tried this combo on both black and beige, both turning major heads. I used a polishing pad with a PC and worked in the VM which seems to look slightly better than just putting on a quick layer by hand. Next up in testing, VM + EX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great experiment, I haven`t done that one yet.

My latest with the UPP was in a white car, I preped it with Menzerna IP and Polish Pad, FP with Finishing Pad and topped with the UPP. About this, all I have to say is that it was the best surface to spread the UPP so far, it was like spreading butter on hot bread. Two drops of UPP could do the entire hood (small car). I waited only 30 minutes and removed, it was the first time I removed it so easy, like dusting.

I`ll test the VMW + UPP combo soon.
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Tom.How are you.I just read your post "The Wow Factor"
    I just purchased a Nissan 350Z in the Brickyard color.I was wondering if you can tell me the name brand of each of the products that you used and where I could pick them up?I am after the deep,wet look.Everyone on the other message boards are hooked on Zaino.I would like to try something different different.I do not own a buffer,so I will be applying everything by hand.Thanks for the info.John

I received the following PM and thought it could be more helpful to post my reply.

John no problem I think I can steer you in the right direction. Zaino is awesome in the fact that it has a brilliant shine but doesn’t have much depth. I think with a brickyard Z, adding depth with a brilliant shine would be the best. The two products that will really make a difference are Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose Glaze Wax and Ultimate Platinum Protection. You can only order those online.
    FIRST: Clay job (Mothers or Claymagic) even though your car is new.
    SECOND: Paint cleaning which is easier with a buffer but with some hard effort can be effective by hand. If your paint is in good condition it might not be necessary. But for older cars (over 3 yrs) I use Meg`s DACP (available at bodyshop supply stores) and this is what I used with the "WOW Factor”, I also like Meg`s Medallion and Meg`s Swirl Free Polish (this one is not very abrasive and I use it on newer cars). Use paint cleaners by hand with a terry towel and work it into your paint until it turns slightly dusty and then remove.
    THIRD: Polish, Vanilla Moose is a polish/glaze, this is where the depth comes from, it does have a slight cleaning ability. After this your paint should already look amazing. FOURTH: Seal, top it off with Ultimate Platinum, this stuff is a sealant like Zaino but has more of a carnauba look to it and is really easy to use. You can also layer this, I have seen improvements with up to 3 layers each one adding more. One other product you might want to consider to use instead of Platinum is Poorboy`s EX, which is a sealant with carnauba. Hope I could help you out and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got any pics Thomas?

What do you guys think about this process?

DACP, UPC, VM then UPP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Replace the UPC w/ #9 or 3M SMR.
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    There`s someone at work that wants me to detail a MB E500. The car is only a few months old. I`m thinking of clay, UPC, VM then UPP. Since the car is so new I don`t wanna use DACP. Think it`ll shine like a show car?

Boss_429
    Even a car that`s only a few months old can have scratches, swirls and oxidation............. if not maintained. Have a look at it, and then make your decision. You may need DACP, or maybe only an SMR, or posslibly neither.

Post Thanks / Like
    one thing, the UPC from my experience doesn`t have much cleaning abilities, in fact I think the VM has more. So you wouldn`t need to use it in this case. With a new car just go, VM to UPP. You can easlily use an SMR to VM to UPP. Yes the pics are coming just did an amazing black Jetta, I took some on my 35mm which need to be developed and the owner is going to email me some digital. This guy was using Pinnacle paint cleanser and souveran and my combo amazed him, guess a good part of it is the technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you explain what you mean by technique? I`m using the two bucket method, MF towels, lambskin wash mitt, and apply everything really thin.

Post Thanks / Like
    what I mean by technique is skills you learn from doing. For example take someone like Anthony Orosco, when he posts awesome pics of a ferrari or porsche everyone wants to know what products he used, well someone who is an amateur is not going to get the same results with the same products as Anthony. This is definitely more apparent with swirl removing and compounding. Working on a lot of different cars with different problems helps you understand the best way to attack problems without trying a few things to find out what works..

What combo to use next? jeff2417's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thomas,

I beg to differ. I have approx. 13,000 miles and PLENTY O paintchips and swirlies. I used what Anthony used and was amazed at the results. I drive my car 90 miles a day, and it is never garaged. And yes, I am an "amateur".

For reference:
    http://www.detailcity.com/showthread...&threadid=1149
    Sure, it`s shiny, but how smooth is it, and how does it look in direct sunlight?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, you are completely right your car looks awesome. I would think that you have a good deal of detailing experience which translates to technique. Essentially that is my point.

Thread Information