Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I clay?

Post Thanks / Like

Should I clay?

Hey guys, I`m getting ready to detail a 67 chevelle (white) ,excellent condition, my question is I was planning on using clay, then meg`s swirl free polish (3 on the abrasiveness scale) then pre cleaner ,then wax. My question is, can I skip the clay because I assume that the polish would take out anything the clay would plus more. I`m not looking to save time at the cost of results, I just don`t want to do any unnecesary work. If doing the clay before will get better results I`ll do it. Let me know what you guys think
    thanks, Heff

Post Thanks / Like
    Using clay is still a good idea. Yes the polish(es) would remove the embedded materials etc, but it would be doing so by abrasion...wearing the paint down at the same time it`s removing the impurities.

Sal Zaino gave me a good example...

Imagine you want to shave your face. You can use sandpaper (polishes) or a razor (clay). The sandpaper will remove much of the beard, but what do you think is going to happen to the skin underneath? The razor skims across the surface of the skin leaving it untouched, but removes the hair. Which would you prefer?
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

almost time to tailgate tacscar-tim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with don. i do both polish and clay with great results.

Post Thanks / Like
    The general trend seems to be to clay and then polish, although Poorboy polishes first and clays any rough spots after. I`m far from an expert, but it seems to me that it would be better to clay first to avoid grinding any more impurities into the finish with a dry polishing pad. With the clay and a QD spray, you are plucking the impurities off the surface under heavily lubricated conditions. I`m not sure there are any shortcuts to a perfect finish.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy! where are you i would really like to hear your opinion on this! I know you don`t think clay bars are always the right choice. I want the other side of the stroy too.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok Koop...first that`s a horrible analogy ..would you take a razor to your paint finish....second you have to consider the condition of the 67 Chevelle..Excellent....it says...
    If it`s in excellent condition you are not going to be rubbing the surface hard, you`ll just be trying to buff it out with the polish ...
    Now ..are we talking original enamel paint or are we talking clearcoat or something else???
    If this car is also in great(getting to hard to spell excellent..lol)
    condition, why would you go up to a level 3 abrasive?
    Sound like all you need to do is remove old product build up, buff it out and then put on your wax/sealant

I can go on and on about clay bars...but I`ll try to make it short ..they are not the answer to everything and the can cause scratching on their own and can not remove them...(extra work)

see post on... what do you use... and Boss comes in and takes a jewelers loop(small magnifying glass) and has actually seen this micro-scratching ...

and yes I prefer to spot use it where needed after polishing, then I only need to reploish thi=ose areas and clay bars last much longer this way too...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    i apologize, my first post was way too vague. poorboy is absolutely right.

i have clayed both prior to and after polishing. if a car is in really bad shape, i.e. several years old or older, never waxed or polished, been put thru automatic car washes, etc, etc, etc... i have found that the surface will not be as smooth as i like after claying and polishing or just polishing alone and needs to be re-clayed in areas. i polish and then feel the surface. if claying is needed, great, if not, move on too my final polish and then waxing. all cars are not the same and neither are all scenarios. it`s really a good idea to not make plans on what to do to a car until you have it in your hands and can get good feel for its condition. i`ve had some game plans totally changed after i had the car in my hands and have it under some good lighting.

i`m with poorboy, if it don`t need it, don`t do it. i typically analyze the car and go from there. if a car is in really good shape, then it may need only a wash and wax. i would only use a heavy polish/compound on a car that is in need of some paint reconditioning. if it`s in excellent shape that probably won`t be necessary.

i have also found that non-clear cars usually don`t require claying. their surfaces seem to be less susceptible to contaminants and become very smooth with just polishing. just my personal findings, nothing scientific here. you may want to check and make sure what kind of paint your dealing with.

i do like claying and get some excellent results with it. but i don`t clay every car i detail either. and then i don`t always clay the entire car.

be sure and take some pics of the chevelle afterwords

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point there Tim on the enamels..they tend to realease more contaminates as you take a micro-layer of paint off during polishing...

and someone agrees with me

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point there Tim on the enamels..they tend to realease more contaminates as you take a micro-layer of paint off during polishing
    see, i knew there was a scientific reason for it

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    What analogy? I just asked for your opion? I`m still not completely sure on your clay bar perspective. I just want to understand.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    lol Koop...it was Sal`s analogy of using a razor vs sandpaper...

On most well kept or classic vehicles(as the 67 we were discussing here) they usually have nice smooth surfaces with no real embedded contaminates...
    the owner is usually a do it your self guy and puts coat s and a coats of products on until one day the look at someone elses car and say"hey how come mine doesn`t shine like that" then it`s time to do it yourself or find a pro...
    As Tim said it`s hard to evaluate a vehicle until you really start the process and see what`s under all the old crap...can I say crap oh well ...a lot of people automatically say clay it..well not me..polish it lightly first with the least abrasive polish and see where you stand....if the surface at that point has what you judge to be embedded(sp?) particles ,which for you koop being in a shop could be much higher percentage due to grinding body metal , then the clay is a good thing to use at that point.
    Now back to the 67 we are talking about...this car is described as excellent condition..there is probably no need for an extra step of clay or maybe just a few spots....again I would lightly polish this vehicle and the assess where you`re at...clay and then polish again or just go to sealant/wax...

Did I miss anything..sorry for the ramble

Post Thanks / Like
    process and see what`s under all the old crap...can I say crap oh well

What the guy who puts out a product called Bird S$#t Remover is worried about saying crap?

Post Thanks / Like
    lol ...Thomas...I don`t want to become too vulgar on line...roflmao

Bird Sh#t is Bird Sh#t....and funny or gross that you mention it...

Sitting outside this morning at my daughters` graduation from
    pre-school 3yr olds to pre-school 3-4 yr olds and a bird comes by and...you guessed it... right on my arm, leg and daughter`s arm...and I wasn`t prepared..lol Had no BS Remover with me

Post Thanks / Like

Targeted

Oh my gawd!

Now, there has got to be a secret bird society that has been targeting our cars all these years. It seems they have scaled up their operations to targeting key high ranking detailing officials in their bombing campaign.

QD = the Patriot Missle equivalent for Bird Bombs

What has the world come to .... they even target our children! THIS MEANS WAR!

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Targeted

Originally posted by MattS
    Oh my gawd!

Now, there has got to be a secret bird society that has been targeting our cars all these years. It seems they have scaled up their operations to targeting key high ranking detailing officials in their bombing campaign.

QD = the Patriot Missle equivalent for Bird Bombs

What has the world come to .... they even target our children! THIS MEANS WAR!
    Ive got an answer for those danged birds!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information