Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I need more sugar!!!!!! KleanFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the hype with pc?

never used the porter cable but hear so much about it on these boards. Whats the deal?

I cant see it working any better than a good ol random orbit buffer.

All input I would like to hear.. If it sounds good enough I am considering buying one just too have as a handy tool.....

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the biggest reasons so many chose the PC is that aside from being "foolproof" it has the variable speed drive and can easily be operated with one hand .....has many more applicator options....performs well enough to do some paint repair. IMO Nothing beats a rotary in HIGHLY SKILLED PROFESSIONALS hand but it is definetely the next best thing

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a PC gives me peace of mind that I will not damage the paint surface. Easy to use and speeds up application of polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there are two trusted random orbit machines, the Dewalt 443 and the Porter Cable 7424 / 7336. I know for sure there is a huge support for the PC. Mainly because they make good and reliable products. Can any suppliers chime in?

EDIT Do you mean why use a PC Orbit Buffer or a Random Orbit Buffer?

Post Thanks / Like
    the question i guess what i want answered is "can i get the same results from a pc than a rotary?"

Post Thanks / Like
    CLOSE but much safer. The reason that the PC is safer is due to the RO motion whereas a direct drive rotary generates heat much quicker. A rotary in the right hands can do more than a PC but it can also do more damage. If you have a rotary and are very well versed in proper usage than the PC may not benefit you unless you just need something easier to work with. the PC weighs in much less than most rotary. unless the paint is severly neglected a PC will do just abot anything.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Opps my bad. Same results from a PC with a rotary? Possible. However its dangerous and very difficult to apply polishes / waxes with a circular action rotary. A PC is safe and is designed to midly polish / apply waxes. The rotary breaks down / heats up the surface.

You need to be very experienced and knowledgeable.

Post Thanks / Like
    another thing, when using the pc do you use the edge of the pads when cutting like a rotary?

or

do you use it flat like a traditonal random orbiter?

Post Thanks / Like
    keep it flat

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it flat?

im curious how would you get into the edges/angles like that on a hood or door of an older jeep cherrokee. Are they done by hand afterwards? Debating if i should get a PC or Orbiter

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used a rotory for 10 years and use it 95% of the time. I`m to the point where I can do a black car and leave no holigrams/swirls that rotorys are famous for. I got a PC 2 years ago and use it for final polish as feel it does a better job at that than a rotory. I also use the PC for cars in good/excellent condition where a rotory would just take off too much clear coat.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with shotime except I have used a rotary for longer ... probably cause I am older .
    I find I can do scratch and swirl removal more quickly with a rotary ... and in most cases I can also get more shine using a rotary ... I have only had a PC for about 6 months and find I use it as part of the paint prep process ... one example:
    1. Compound Power Cleaner with a rotary
    2. DACP with a PC
    3. Swirl Free Polish applied with a rotary
    4. AIO applied by hand
    5. UPP applied by hand
    6. UPP applied with PC
    This is just an example but what I have found is that I can achieve a swirl free finish almost all of the time by alternating the two machines.
    Products and machine used may vary but this is just an example
    One more thought ... a rotary should be used with the pad as flat as possible this will reduce the possibility of burning the paint and introducing new swirls.
    Good Luck!
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Attention ladies and gentlemen watch very closely as I piss off a large portion of the constituency here.

Personally I think if you take the time and learn the high speed rotary you will likely never use a RO (random orbital) again. But then again I have always preferred to learn to do things the way the real pros do. The rotary is simply more efficient and economical. It’s faster and uses less product, which if this is really your lively hood is your bottom line. I know how to thread pipe with a manual die and I guess it is safer, but I don’t use it because it’s slow and inefficient.

I have tried the RO out there and it’s my opinion that the only thing they do better is… well basically not do the job. I mean think about it. People call them safe because they don’t really work, right? When you remove paint defects and polish a car you need to heat up and abrade away some of the finish. There is no other way! I do not know how else you can look at it. OK, ok so you can apply a glaze with it and yes I guess a glaze does hide the spider webs, but only for a couple of days at best. And yes if you use a cutting compound with it you can remove some very minor imperfections and haze up the surface, and yes I guess it puts down a real even coat of sealant and wax. But you can do all of those things so much faster and better with a rotary.

I think being afraid of high speed rotaries is a mistake. Just go slow, be very aware and when you get it, and you will get it…you will feel good. It’s not brain surgery.

Just so you all know that I don’t have some personal axe to grind with the RO I will say one positive thing about it today… when it comes to sanding wood to a fine perfection they are tops, because that’s what they were originally designed and engineered for.

All that said... you know what could be a very useful application for the RO technology? A very small unit with say a 2 inch diameter pad for some of those very small areas that you can’t get except by hand. What do you think?

Peace:cool

Post Thanks / Like
    here`s what i think :hah :bsflag
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for calling my idea a Brilliant Solution!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information