Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Still Learnin........Question About Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

I thought I would try Meguiar`s four-step process, Wash, Paint Cleaner, Polish, Gold Class Wax.
    I applied it on a fairly humid day after washing and drying my van. I used a applicator pad, and let it set till I thought it was dry. I started to buff off with a micro-fiber towel, but it didn`t come off easily. What I mean is the majority came off, but left an oily type residue that was very hard to completely get off. Had to use some serious elbow grease to remove it.
    None of the other product gave me that much grief.

My question is....did I not let it set long enough, or is this how this product is. After some serious wiping, I swore I would never be using this again.

Can anyone clear this up for me ?
    Thanks
    Matt

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Matt:
    Welcome to DC.
    Since I don`t use the products you mention, I can`t give you any specific answers, but...........
    Most anytime I have had a problem with a product smearing or streaking when removing, I had applied too much of it.
    More is not always better. Try applying it very thinly in a small area and see how it works. As far as drying, just follow the instructions on the bottle.

Charles

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Charles said is very true. Every time I`ve had a smearing or streaking problem it was because the product was put on too thick.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which product was difficult to remove?

If cleaner was difficult to remove the product was designed to be applied then removed with no "dry" time.

I would assume you used the DC Step 2 Polish. That product also should be removed right after application.

Both products should be applied to one body panel then removed before moving on to next panel. Try to remove bulk of product with terry then buff with MF.

If polish oily residue was a concern, the oily residue is expected not abnormal. I`ve used #7, #81, and DC Step 2 Polish. All have left an oily residue. I think that`s a good thing especially after waxing. Makes the paint feel real slick. Some of the oil is removed with the wax application.

Please don`t give up on the products. The directions on the bottle leave a little to be desired. I`ve done the same things too.

How did you like the GC Wax??

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    The product is Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner. Technically it is the first step in the 3 step system. (I guess they don`t count the actual washing as a step). It goes on before the Polish, which is step 2.

I applied it pretty thin. I`ve read here, and other forums that thinner is better. The polish was pretty easily removed, but I could still see some of that residue even after I put on and took off the polish.

How did you like the GC Wax??
    I really like Meguiar`s stuff. The GC wax is REALLY amazing. I don`t think I`ve ever seen such a deep reflective wax. I think next time I am going to try the Meguiar`s carnuba of maybe that new NXT wax. Seems like the reviews have been pretty positive on that.

I think I have found a new hobby with the whole cleaning and detailing of vehicles. For whatever reason, it seems to "soothe" me, and I really enjoy it.:cool

I have even beeen considering getting that highly regarded Porter Cable ROB since some of the older couples in the neighborhood have seen what my van looked like after I was done detailing it. They asked me what I would charge to do theirs.....:-p I do have some older cars that I can practice on first.

Matt

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep the cleaner or polish should be applied thin and removed while wet. The residue should somewhat be removed with the cleaners in the wax (if it has cleaners in it).

I used the GC wax and thought it was good. I now use the NXT. I really like that product. Good shine and easy to remove.

Detailing is a great hobby. Very relaxing for me too. No music or talking while working just concetration on my work. It`s nice. I started by washing and vac car only. Then did some searching and learning. My hobby has expanded to some side work for friends vehicles just like yours is about to.

I would recommend the PC. You can do many great things with the PC. Mainly you can`t really mess up paint and you can remove some paint defects with the rigth products and some practice. I mean remove defects not simply fill and cover.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Try spraying water or QD on it before removing, that should take care of it.
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Welcome Matt, I`ve got the 3 step Meg as well, it didn`t left any residue on my car, I think you might have put on a bit too much and left for too long maybe? The cleaner should be wipe on and off product. As for trying other Meg carnauba wax, #16 is brilliant but .......it`s one hell of a job to buff off if you put on even slightly too much, so I would suggest trying out S100 wax, wipe on wipe off and bling bling :cool
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Thread Information