Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-22-2016

Default Minor Scratch Care

Hi There,
I have had a 2006 Mercedes for about a year. Mileage is low about 100,000 kms and I'm not sure of the history of the cleaning of the vehicle but I have been washing with Mother's California Gold and love the product. I have noticed minor scratches in the clear coat ( doesn't catch a finger nail) and have been reviewing U Tube and your site here for solutions.
Would you recommend a pre-wax cleaner, or a polishing compound for the areas of concern, with then a full wax later? And what type of wax would you recommend?
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Last edited by Rick5354; 10-22-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Mileage posted incorrectly
Old 10-23-2016

Default Re: Minor Scratch Care

If they fine scratches are all over the paint they only way to remove them is by actually removing a little paint with an abrasive polish. Now, given the car has 100K kms it may not worth the effort. They can be hidden to some degree using Mothers three step system - clean paint, pure polish, then the wax.

If you want to actually remove them you would need a dual action polisher, pads, and polish to do it effectively and efficiently.

Localized scratches can be reduce/removed with Mothers Scratch Remover but time consuming to do over large areas.
Old 10-23-2016

Thanks Al, I appreciate your comments. I realize now that most scratches can be minimized with Scratch remover or a similar type product and probably not completely removed unless you are committed to do a lot of work. However, it seems that this solution will probably work and certainly make the car finish look better. One last question. I've looked through most of the products and I wanted to know if Scratch remover is less abrasive than the polishing compound, and a beginner starting point for scratches, rather than a full blown solution?
Thanks,
Old 10-24-2016

Mothers naming for the paint restoration system is Rubbing Compound and Finishing Polish. I have used the Finishing Polish and it can do a nice job of removing the light wash induced marring. The challenge with Scratch Remover is the work area is so small.
Old 10-24-2016

Thanks Al, I will probably polish and wax first to see how that looks before using a compound or a clay solution. That way I'll preserve as much of the clear coat as possible. Thanks for your help,
Rick
Old 10-24-2016

Clay before polishing.
Old 10-25-2016

Yes, of course. Thanks,
Closed Thread