Post Thanks / Like

Product Catagory Definitions?

I have been thinking about it ...and trying to figure out what the differnt terms mean.. Perhaps someone can help me out on this one!

1. Compound - Typicly I would say this would be anything that could be considered an abrasive (Rubbing combound, SSR line ect)

Here is where I get confused

2. Polish

3. Glazes

4. Sealents

5. Waxes/ the different types of waxes (ie. Carnuba vs polymer)and what are the features and benifits of these?

Is there anything missing in there?

Another question is in what order do you typicly want to apply to the car? can you put a wax under a sealent or above a sealent? can you top a wax w/ a glaze or do you do it the other way around?

Last question I have is about the differnt types of pads...(i have these pads (http://www.properautocare.com/porcabac.html im not sure they are the greatest but they were afordable so that was what I bought) But back to the question ...What makes a each pad what it is (ie. cutting pad ,polishing pad, finishing pad) is it the firmness of it.

I thought it would be better to know this info that way I would be better utilizing the products I have in my arsinal and be using the proper aplication methods!

its naturally curly...... 6cyl's_of_fury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Catagory Definitions?

Originally posted by Focusedonsound
    I have been thinking about it ...and trying to figure out what the differnt terms mean.. Perhaps someone can help me out on this one!

1. Compound - Typicly I would say this would be anything that could be considered an abrasive (Rubbing combound, SSR line ect)
    A compound is classified as a highly abrasive material to rectify MAJOR paint defects - generally referred to as cutting compounds.Example: meguiars Diamond Cut Compound

Here is where I get confused

2. Polish These are abrasive compounds ranging from medium to slight abrsiveness They correct not so severe paint defects *generally* - there are exceptions and a rotary is a powerful tool that can work wonders with less aggressive polishes to correct some pretty awful paint defects. Examples of polishes are: the SSR series, Menzerna twins, DACP, #80, 3M SMR etc

3. Glazes A glaze can be abrasive or non-abrasive in nature. Designed to primarily add oils to the paint work to give a wet look finish, or it can leave the paint cleaned and ready forany LSP. Example: Megs #7, Vanilla Moose, Klasse AIO

4. Sealents These are chemical barriers added to the paint, be they polymer or acrylic. Generally they are a long lasting paint protection. In most cases they give a sterile high shine look due to the lack of oils present. Examples: Klasse SG, Wolfgang, NXT, EX-P, Zaino, Blackfire

5. Waxes/ the different types of waxes (ie. Carnuba vs polymer)and what are the features and benifits of these? Wax is generally carnauba based ( oil extract ) and are in most cases not as lkong lasting as a sealant. Polymer compounds ( such as teflon ) are added tot he wax to improve the slickness but has no real advantage of improved durability. Examples: Nattys, Souveran, P21S, #26, 3M showcar wax, blitz

Is there anything missing in there?

Another question is in what order do you typicly want to apply to the car? can you put a wax under a sealent or above a sealent? can you top a wax w/ a glaze or do you do it the other way around? No, you would add a wax on top of a sealant, the oils in the wax tend to interfere with the sealant "bonding" to the paintwork. The glaze on its own is not very durable and is generally topped with a wax. There are certain sealants ( like PB EX-P and WG ) that can be used over a glaze despite the oils present, but the general rule is no oils under a sealant - keep reading up and you will get the grift on which ones can and cant

Last question I have is about the differnt types of pads...(i have these pads (http://www.properautocare.com/porcabac.html im not sure they are the greatest but they were afordable so that was what I bought) But back to the question ...What makes a each pad what it is (ie. cutting pad ,polishing pad, finishing pad) is it the firmness of it. Nothing wrong with that pad selection, and yes you are right the density ( or firmness ) of the pad determines the "bite".

I thought it would be better to know this info that way I would be better utilizing the products I have in my arsinal and be using the proper aplication methods!
    Detail your car, do it. No seriously, do it.

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow thanks for the quick response!

With that all said. So In terms of use if I was going to give my car a full detail I Would apply in this order

Clay (when Necessary)
    compound (When necessary)(using a cutting pad)
    Polish (When necessary)(using a polishing pad)
    Sealent (what type of pad is this best aplied w/? or is it best if done by hand)
    Glaze (Again same question which pad best suits)
    Wax (aplied with a finishing pad)

Also Im under the impression that Glazes are also knowen to be fillers! What exatly can one expect to hide with a glaze?

Post Thanks / Like
    it all determines what your trying to do. in some cases you dont need a compound with a cutting pad you may be able to use a polishing pad. some cuttins pads can in some cases cause more marring.

You can probably polish in some cases with a finishing pad or a cutting pad.

sealants can be applied with a finishing pad or by hand

glaze can be applied with a polishing/finishing pad or by hand if you using something difficult to use for newbies ( i did it too) like IHG or #7, #81 the only easy glaze out there ive used is VM. once you read more and see what people use to do the cars they post on you can see the variety of combinations and actually learn. dont think the pad/product combo is easy to understand cause there are some very bad ass detailers that use different procedures just take your time learning and practice with pad/product combo and ask a lot of questions
    good luuck

JAY

Post Thanks / Like
    6cyl`s of fury, very good answers!!! The only thing is that I`m not sure that Klasse AIO is a glaze. I believe its a polish/cleaner and sealent.
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

its naturally curly...... 6cyl's_of_fury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    AIO is a real PITA product to categorise, but luckily for us it is such a great product!
    It can be a polish/cleaner or glaze or sealant - take your pick!
    Detail your car, do it. No seriously, do it.

The Black Beast

Thread Information