Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-16-2004

Default 3 Step System w/ Patches??

I just finished the 3 step system yesterday...and man it was hard work...I noticed when I look under the sun..the paint seems to be in different patches of color..some parts are lighter than others..my car is just 3 months old..it is a Grey Colour. Otherwise it looks great now..I just have to finish it up..cleaning the powdery stuff left behind.
Old 05-16-2004
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: 3 Step System w/ Patches??

Is your grey metallic or non-metallic?

Often the metallic flakes are distributed unevely, leaving slightly different shades of the paint over a large area.

Another possibility would be damage before your purchase - on the assembly line, or in transit, or while on the dealer's lot.
Old 05-16-2004

It is a metallic grey, it doesn't really bother me..so its ok...but another i noticed just today..haha...things just keep coming up..are swirl marks..I had some before but it seems like I got a bit more...its only on the hood...should I go back and re do the sealer and glaze?..or would that make the paint too thin?....I used wax applicators and 100% cotton terry cloths to buff off..don't know why there could be swirls..they are light swirls only seen under some angles of sunlight..is it difficult to make your car swirl free?...
Old 05-16-2004

I am planning to switch back to 1 step waxes/polish as 3 step is way too much work..( now I know)...I am also planning to switch to Mothers synthetic waxs so it last longer...Will Mother's Reflection take out minor swirl marks??
Old 05-16-2004
Mothers® Polish

Reflections won't take the spiderwebbing out.

Keep in mind you don't have to do all 3 steps every time - next time just do 3. Timeafter, 2 and 3. Only use 1 every 6 months.

As for hte spidwebbing/swirls you're seeing - are the towels high quality bath-type towels, or ones sold at an auto parts store? They may be your problem.
Old 05-16-2004

I got my towels at Canadian Tire, auto parts/care shop..they are made by Simonz..Premium Quality 100% Cotton. What do you suggest for removing them?.Will scratch remover make the paint too thin over time?
Old 05-17-2004
Mothers® Polish

Scratch Remover won't make the paint thin over time - at least not in your or my lifetime.

Try some microfiber towels instead - I think you'll find for just a few dollars more you'll have a much better towel to work with.

Last edited by Forrest T.; 05-17-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-17-2004

ok..I will try to use Microfibers..I'm going to save up for a nice orbital to save my hands from some work!..and save myself some time!...Is there a Pure Synthetic wax from Mothers that I can replace Step 3...I want longer protection..instead of 3 week protection since I park outdoor all the time..as I do not have a Garage.
Old 05-17-2004
Mothers® Polish

Our synthetic product is Reflections. It's exceptionally easy to use.
Old 05-17-2004

Does Reflections is not gonna remove sealer and glaze with those mild polishes?
Old 05-17-2004
Mothers® Polish

There are quite a few folks (I know kbshadow, who frequents this board, for instance) who ue Reflections in place of Phase 3, and some who use it, and then put Phase 3 over the top of it.

I've not tried it either way, so I can't comment as to how it works. But, the cleaners are very mild, so I'd expect it to work at least decently.

Maybe others can answer your question better than I.

The right answer would be to use clay, Pre-Wax Cleaner and then Reflections, and forget about Sealer and Glaze and Natural Formula Wax.
Old 05-17-2004
Mothers® Polish

Sounds like you may have applied the products too thick (you should see a haze, not the paint turn white), causing you to have to rub/buff too hard.

Assuming the paint is cool to the touch, and you've applied thin coats, all 3 products should remove with minimal effort.

If you want massive forearms, eat spinach like Popeye, don't get a workout waxing your car. Think thin coats.
Old 05-17-2004

Core

I use Reflections a lot, use it very very thin and don't rub a lot, does not seem to take the glaze off, I usually put a top coat of Mothers pure Carnuba on top of it but I don't think I really need to, I also put that on very very thin and use showtime as a lube to make it go on thinner, seems to work very well for me.

Both are easy to use ond once you have it right its easy to keep up.

I have 2 buffers but usually just put them on by hand and use MF to take them off and buff the car.
BTW my cars are white and silver.

Hope this helps

kbshadow

Last edited by kbshadow; 05-17-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2004

i was thinking on instead of use Pre-Wax Cleaner use Reflections, then selaer adn glaze then pure carnauba Wax, im gonna try it just half of the hood and see if it changes just like that i am gonna be satisfied hehe, but i think is gonna be the same as UWS.
Old 05-17-2004
Chemist, Mothers® Polish

Although Reflections is not a part of the 3 step system..I have had many reports of great sucess using Reflections on top of the 3 step...and I dont argue with success. There certainly would be no harm in trying.
Old 05-17-2004

I suggest that I put too thick coats on..and thats what caused the swirlls and patches on my paint. I'm going to fix it as soon as I get an orbital
Closed Thread