Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-02-2006

Question Product confusion

I recently acquired a well maintained and cared for 1993 Eddie Bauer model Ford Explorer. The paint is a dark blue over tan combination. With the exception of a few chips on the front of the hood and around the door handles the paint is in great condition for it's age. I gave it a good bath and used Mothers Cleaning wax but I'm not satisfied with the results. I can see that the blue paint has a metalic fleck finish but the cleaning wax didn't bring the finish out over most of the truck. There is also some spider webbing on the finish, especially on the hood and roof.

I'm planning on using a clay bar to deep clean the paint but I'm confused on which other products I should use. Which set of products would be best to bring out the depth and shine in the dark blue paint as well as the tan paint? Also, should I use the Back to Black on the vinyl, rubber, etc., before or after I take care of the paint?

Also, if it makes any difference in the choice of products, I live on the coast and want to make sure the paint is well protected from the salt air.

Thanks in advance. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2006
Administrator

Default Re: Product confusion

gabbysmom,

Welcome!

Use the Back-to-Black where necessary and a Protectant on trim surfaces that don't need quite so much "restoration" before you clay or wax.

The clay bar kit on its own over the entire vehicle is a good idea once or twice a year. It removes surface contaminants without being abrasive -- those little "bumps" of who-knows-what that you probably feel as you glide your hand across the finish. Visit our Reel World page and scroll down to the Clay Bar "How To" to see how easy it really is.

Then in a test area, try the Cleaner Wax again and see if there's enough improvement in the look -- another application of Cleaner Wax may just polish enough to give a better look. If so, continue with the Cleaner Wax; if not -- and since it sounds like you're doing the application by hand -- I'd recommend what we call the Ultimate Wax System.

The Ultimate Wax System consists of 3 steps to "install" -- a Pre-Wax Cleaner, a Sealer & Glaze (to help hide that spiderwebbing), and a Pure Carnauba Wax (liquid or pre-softened paste).

While it may sound like a lot of work, the results speak for themselves. And next time you "wax," you can likely get away with just the Pure Carnauba, or the Sealer & Glaze followed by the Pure Carnauba.

Check our Detail Guide for more information, or we'll be glad to help you here.

If you've got access to a coveted machine like the Porter-Cable polisher, we'll probably recommend you go in another direction with a product like our PowerPolish.
Old 06-02-2006

Question Re: Product confusion

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply!

I do have access to a buffer. I used it with the cleaning wax on the large surfaces of the truck. I used small pads on the indentations on the hood, roof and the small areas of metal around the windows on the doors, etc. Would other products work better with the buffer?
Old 06-02-2006
Administrator

Try the clay bar (if you feel the bumps -- likely you will) and follow another application of Cleaner Wax and see how it looks in a test area, say a corner of the hood.

It would be good to know the brand and model of the buffer, and the types of pads you have, before recommending a different product path.
Old 06-03-2006

Smile Re: Product confusion

The buffer I have is probably a pretty cheap model. It is made by Motorist Automotive Products and has a 12" buffer on it. It has a washable vinyl-like backed flannel looking cover for applying wax and a thick microfiber pad that looks similar to sheep-shear to buff. I like to use it over large flat areas - things go faster, but it isn't of any use on area that have creases molded into them or lots of molding such as the vinyl strips on the roof under the luggage rack.
Old 06-03-2006
Administrator

For that polisher, I'd recommend the Ultimate Wax System. You can apply by hand where you can't reach with the polisher. You'll want extra bonnets or plan on washing them in-between using products, and some little microfiber or foam applicators for use by hand.

The Pre-Wax Cleaner (Step 1) will clean and polish, the Sealer & Glaze (Step 2) will help hide the swirl marks and other defects, and the Carnauba Wax (Step 3) will protect.

In a few weeks or so, go ahead an apply another coat of Pure Carnauba Wax to maintain it.

Be sure to check out the sections in the Detail Guide that pertains to its use and frequency.
Attached Images

Closed Thread