Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-02-2007

Default Engine compartment detailing

Now, I have Protectant, Back to Black, Showtime, Chrome Polish, Mag&Aluminium Polish, Window Glass Cleaner. I don't yet have Plastic Polish and tempted to get it. I am ready to do the engine compartment detailing, where I found a lot of rubbers trims, plastic and metals. Any guidelines what to use on these numerous items under the hood? I used to use only just Protectant to clean the engine compartment. And, is Back to Black safe to apply to hot places under the hood? Appreciated for some advices.
Old 05-29-2007
Administrator

Default Re: Engine compartment detailing

cntlaw,

I'm so sorry we didn't get back to you on this one...

While we do not have any engine-bay specific products, many enthusiasts use common degreaser products so long as they are safe for the special metal finishes found underneath the hood.

We prefer to stay out of recommending products for engine compartments as a general practice because of the risk of causing problems with cleaners, chemicals or water.

However, you might consult with the following threads:

http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=892
http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=205

as well as use the Search feature.
Old 05-31-2007

Thanks for reply.
Those engine bays I saw really were not that greasy, if there is no adverse effect, I am just happy to soley use ShowTime to clean some obvsious dusty surfaces and gaps under the hood. I don't really want to clean the mechanical components
Old 05-31-2007
Administrator

I hadn't thought of that -- certainly if the engine bay is as well maintained as the rest of your car, a light dusting with Showtime should be all you need. Rubber, vinyl and plastic finishes might appreciate some Protectant while you're at it. So long as you're not spraying anything while it is hot, or directly into anything electrical, you should be just fine with either product.
Old 05-31-2007

this was taken during the first time my ride got its engine bay pampered:

the only moms prod I used was the cleaner-wax that came with the clay bar -- used it on the underside of the bonnet and other painted parts in the bay. gotta look for the underside's pics first. I like the shine. especially when you're actually supposed to expect it to be grimey/oily under there.
for the hoses, fuse boxes etc. - damp towel followed by a protectant from another co. 'coz I find it "painful" to use my moms protectant in there just yet... I'm still finishing off my other brand protectant bottle y'see.
for the engine block - used some airline-giveaway toothbrushes and degreaser topped off with a general-purpose metal polish...
Old 05-31-2007

See what I mean.
Every day, I learn something new at the Mothers Forum.
That photo sequence is really clever, and I just cannot imagine the program for that.
You do not have this car in the US. It is available here in Australia, but only with the two larger engines, the 1400 and the 1600. There is also a 1500 Turbo Diesel model.
I suppose the big advantage of a car like this right now might be 50 to 55 MPG.
This one, pictured here has the 1100cc engine. Hard to imagine that most motorbikes have an engine approximately the same size or bigger. This one produces about 65HP if my math is right.
Not having it available in the US, you're probably wondering. It's in the same sub compact class as the Honda Fit, and targeted at the low end of the cost range, has become the single most popular, (and the biggest selling) first car for young ladies here in Australia.
I just love them for one single reason.
My daughter has one and it only took me half a day total to completely detail it.

Link to photograph.

http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.p...highlight=Getz

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 05-31-2007

-finally found and uploaded my underhood's pic. here's the link to my underhood's pic. unfortunately I don't have a before pic.
-Tony is right, that is a 1.1l engine... and yup, hard to imagine that some motorbikes even have bigger engine displacements...
@Tony - followed your link and was quite surprised that your daughter's car's also a VY (vivid yellow).
Old 06-01-2007

Looks great B2B! How long did it take you to do it?
Looks like a 2+ hour job. and the way it looks, you worked hard!
Old 06-01-2007

thanks rocketman. I'd say your estimate's about right... for the engine block alone...
as for the bonnet's underside, believe me, it was harder because of the position you had to be in while doing it... expect a stiff neck afterwards...
but after all've these've been done, you'll really be glad you found the patience to do it.
thank goodness I've got a supportive (or is it, consenting) GF
Old 07-17-2007

B2Bomber,

Any tips on how to clean the engine bay? Like what parts to avoid? How long should I leave it to dry before I start it? Did you use an air compressor to dry it? How did you go about degreasing the alternator (which is very sensitive to moisture) and the like? The questions go on. Give me as many insights as possible.

Thanks,

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 07-18-2007

hi grabby, I am assuming that you thought I hosed the engine due to your question regarding drying... unfortunately, this is what I learned online (I guess that's where most detailers back home do anyway... )

Engine Detailing entails little to no water...

and my own personal addition:

but need an over-flowing supply of patience.

For a thorough engine detail per se you would really have to remove some of the stuff like battery so as to reach and be able to clean everything. But this would most likely be more of a recipe for a show car engine detailing. So I'll stick to the average detailing enthusiast Joe's engine detailing regime.

First off, let me reiterate the use of less water. We normally see carwash boys hosing down, and at times even using pressure washers when they do their engine washes. I guess for them, that'd be the normal engine wash (though I'd really be wary about the use of pressure washers). I bet the engine block won't even "shine". But atleast they did manage to get rid of some of the loose dirt... hopefully. But for engine detailing, it is the attention to detail that really differentiates it from your typical engine wash.

As each and everyone of us here obviously own different rides and obviously each and every one would be looking at a different engine bay, once they pop the hood, I'll try to impart what ever information I could share in a general way.

Things to avoid getting wet, obviously your engine's electricals and other "openings" leading into the engine block itself, etc. Although as I've mentioned you will be using less water, most of the products you might need to use are in liquid form so they'll still have a tendency to drip into a part of your engine that isn't supposed to get wet. It would be prudent to cover these essential areas first prior to doing any engine detailing. I'll leave it up to you how you prefer to cover them up, whether a simple plastic bag would suffice or cover it with some old rag first then plastic bag, etc. Examples of things to absolutely avoid getting wet -- distributor, alternator, air intake.

SAFETY FIRST:

a. Make sure your car is off.
b. Your key is a safe distance away from the ignition.
c. You're not doing this right after a long drive.

The first thing you'd want to do is to rid engine bay of bigger "dirt" like leaves, twigs, dead birds(?), etc. It wouldn't matter IMHO which of the following you ought to do first so there is no need to do your engine detailing in the same order:

Last edited by B2Bomber; 07-18-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2007

Engine, Manifold, and all other unpainted metal parts - these are made of different materials, some like mine are aluminum, others are not. or combination of different materials. So what works for one engine detailer may not work for another.

How to go about this? The easiest IMO would be to use:
a. dedicated engine degreaser - There are several brands and types out there, some come in spray some in liquid form, which you still have to dillute. Which one's better? for starters, I'd stick with the spray. Though on one hand, the liquid forms which at times are also APCs may be more cost-efficient since you could use it for virtually any cleaning purposes depending on the dillution ratio. The main thing to take note with this these products is that they should not adversely react with whatever metal your engine is made off. Read the label first. Once you're ready to use your degreaser, the best instruction you would get if it's your first time is the one on the product's container itself.
b. brushes of all types and sizes, from used toothbrushes to the ones you use for foot scrubs/spas - the main point here is that you should be able to reach most if not all your engine's surfaces. A typical instruction from degreasers would ask you to apply the product on the surface, let it sit for awhile and aggitate then rinse. rinse, for me would be cupping some water with your hand and poring over the most recently aggitated part. then repeat as necessary until you're through with all the metal surfaces of your engine.
c. then get some old rag and wipe everything dry.
d. now that most of the grime and oil film are gone, you can go ahead and use your favorite metal polish together with some clean fresh set of rags to further clean and bring some shine unto your engine. As always, follow your metal polish manufacturer's instructions. I used Glo on mine.

now some detailers prefer working from the buttom-up some prefer the otherway, IMHO, depending on whether you're using a product that runs/drips. I usually use products that run/drip so I prefer doing it from the top to bottom.

tip: if the grime seems to be too stubborn. try warming up your engine or using warm water to "loosen" the grime first. warm being warm to the touch as some products might evaporate too fast on a very warm engine and it'd look something similar to your water spots afterwards.
Old 07-18-2007

Rubber Hoses, Plastics, and other non-metallic parts.
This is something almost everybody ought to be familiar with. Since most if not all would have in one way ór the other worked with some plastics/rubbers on their cars exterior and interior. It might be tempting to just go ahead and spray your favorite protectant to each and every rubber hose or black plastic you see but, like in exterior/interior detailing, protectants are supposed to be applied on clean surfaces right? So, let's clean those hoses/plastics first.
depending on how dirty these are, we might be just talking about some road dust in there or some extremely grimey hoses, etc..
Old towels/rags damp with rubber/plastic cleaners would be the safest IMHO, followed by rubber/plastic safe APCs. just wipe them off until everythings clean. For wire looms which have grooves/ribs in them, a brush different from the one you used on your engine block/manifold would be handy. Be careful not to accidentally pull any of those hoses, wires off their sockets/connectors. Once you're pretty sure you've got all these items clean then you can proceed applying your favorite dressing/protectant. Most likely, you'd want to apply, let it sit and buff, as per the products' instructions.

Last edited by B2Bomber; 07-18-2007 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2007

All done, the engine block's radiating a very warm glow, the hoses and everything seems to be shiny. Right? Well... that is ofcourse if you'll spend the rest of the day just looking down... at the engine. But let me entice you into going a little further and just look up for a little bit.

Painted Engine Bay Panels
If your hood's underside seems grimey and dirty then you might as well clean it as well while you've got the hood open right? So what would you need on this part?
Assuming we're not talking a decade's worth of engine grime, I would think a cost-efficient route would be to use an old rag/towel damp with a paint-safe apc/degreaser solution. Wipe the underside of grime and dust. You could use some cotton buds, towel wrapped bbq stick tip, etc. to reach most recessed areas. Once you're done with the heavy grime, if you're like me who've bought several clay bar kits just for the clay and the lube and end up with several unused mini-bottles of cleaner waxes, this would be a perfect opportunity to put those mini-bottles to use. Just treat your hood's underside as though you were cleaning your car's painted exterior panels.

And voila! you're all done. Just make sure to rid your engine bay of any of your cleaning implements and stuff before you close that hood.

Hope this helps.

My apologies to everyone if it turned out to be a novel...

DISCLAIMER: though care has been taken to make this instructions correct and applicable to almost everyone, the PROs are welcome to augment or correct any errors in order to prevent a "blind leading the blind" scenario.

Last edited by B2Bomber; 07-18-2007 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2007

Nice post!

Having detailed the engine compartment a few times already, I have to say that I agree with your tip: One needs to have "an over-flowing supply of patience."

Mr. Jim D. also shared some of his insights on engine compartment detailing. Try this link:

http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=205

My auto detailing experiences:
http://autodetailingexperience.blogspot.com/
Old 07-18-2007

hehe. jon, i guess you missed that link in post # 2 of this thread.
Old 07-18-2007

Thumbs up Re: Engine compartment detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Bomber View Post
hehe. jon, i guess you missed that link in post # 2 of this thread.
thanks. placed that link because it was similar to yours though. very informative. :-)will add this thread to my bookmarks/favorites. :-)

My auto detailing experiences:
http://autodetailingexperience.blogspot.com/
Old 07-18-2007

B2Bomber,

Excellent reply. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I'm going karate kid on my engine bay soon. Grime off, Protectant on!

Once again, thank you for the very detailed reply. I appreciate it.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 07-23-2007

SAVE YOUR OLD TOOTHBRUSHES! They really are indispensable when doing your engine compartment. To make them even more so, take a hair dryer to them to bend the head to whatever angle you need to get into those out of the way places. On another point as far as the interior & dirt are concerned, use q tips, & compressed air from one of those computer keyboard spray cans to clean the vents. Then spray something like Febreeze into them for that "everloving" smell. Back to the engine compartment. If you have a lot of grease or oil, you have a problem. No engine compartment should ever have an excess of grease or oil. It should be spotless, enough to eat a meal from.

IAN RAYBURN
2002 SHOW HONDA ACCORD SE
"out ****ed spot! out I say!"
Closed Thread