Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-22-2008

Default Black spots on my paint

On both my vehicles I have been noticing black (for lack of a better word) spots on the bottom below the trim line. On my Silverado they stick out because it is white and they are mainly located behind the back tire with a few between the tires. On the Nitro they are between the tires and behind the back tire. At first I thought it was just chips in the paint because my Silverado is 8 years old. However when I noticed them on the Nitro we have had since August I started to wonder. Washing over and over has removed a couple of them, clay bar hasn't done anything to them (when I used it on my truck before we got the Nitro), and a microfiber towel and instant detailer with a lot of elbow grease did the best. When you start really rubbing them the ones that come off go from black to brown before you finally get it off. It is almost like it is gummy in texture when you loosen it up. The small ones come off after a while but there are some larger ones you can't budge.

Does anyone know what it is and why it won't come off? I am afraid to keep rubbing and rubbing and possibly hurt the paint. I have to put serious pressure on them where after two or three I am out of breath.

My wife's old car was a black Jeep Liberty and I wonder if it had them and just never noticed it because it was black.
Old 02-22-2008
Administrator

Default Re: Black spots on my paint

Impossible to say exactly.

It's probably a little oil or tar, or a little tire dressing -- or a little of each. If you don't dress the tires one week and you still get the spots, then by process of elimination you'll find out.

Likely some cleaner wax, or mineral spirits followed by cleaner wax will remove it with a little less effort.
Old 02-22-2008

You also might try a bug and tar remover. Look for one with petroleum distillates, and a good tip is to try a little under the hood to make sure it won't take off your paint or discolor it. This is what I had to use to soften up some yellow road paint I had on my truck.

P.S. Be careful with mineral spirits I have heard of this staining some paint jobs. If you do use it test to make sure its safe.
Old 02-23-2008

What about goo gone or goof off? I have seen goof off used on chrome with no problems.
Old 02-23-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTruckn View Post
What about goo gone or goof off? I have seen goof off used on chrome with no problems.
Goof Off is not safe for paint and some plastics, so read cautionary statement and test in an inconspicuous area first.

Goo Gone would be worth a try, and is safe on most hard finishes including paint.
Old 02-26-2008

I tried some bug and tar remover and it didn't touch it. It wasn't a Mother's product is probably why it didn't work. I haven't tried Goo Gone yet it rained all weekend. I had just enough time to wash my truck and try the remover in the morning before the rain. Luckily I was able to take the bug and tar remover back to the store.
Old 02-28-2008
Administrator

Take a good, close look at it, and feel it with your hands -- is it in the finish or on the finish.

Use a magnifying glass, a jeweler's loupe, or other magnifying device if necessary.
Old 02-28-2008

They are definately able to be felt. It could be they are somewhat on the surface and in the clearcoat but you can feel them above the surface. Hopefully this weekend I will get to spend some more time on it and give you a more in depth detail and get some pictures. I was thinking about trying Goo Gone this weekend and someone had mentioned to me about a plastic razor blade. Is that safe?
Old 02-28-2008

I'm not sure what bug and tar remover you used but I used some turtle wax tar remover to soften up some road paint I had on my doors. Thats some heavy duty paint too. If goo gone doesn't do it try finding some of this. Its in a white metal can with a plastic top you got to use a screw driver to get off. Its pretty strong so take care.

P.S. I'm sorry about posting a different product from mothers, but yall don't make a bug and tar remover........... yet........maybe yet??.....Admin Forrest
Old 02-28-2008

Who
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who
P.S. I'm sorry about posting a different product from mothers, but yall don't make a bug and tar remover........... yet........maybe yet??.....Admin Forrest
I know this might sound a little cheeky, but Mothers has already been there.
As is the way with the release of new products, then some old products have to be rationalised, and disappear from the lineup, and this is one of them.
Luckily, here in Australia, some store owners/franchisees like to actually exhaust stock by keeping it on the shelves till they sell, so sometimes I still find old Mothers products long removed from sale in the US, and this is one of them.
They are (were) in one of those round plastic containers with the flip top and you removed the dampish wipe from the container.
This is an old photograph, taken not long after the store was relocated to its new address, and that's them next to the blue bag there. Also look a little up and to the right. Yep! The old Hotwheels Wax with the metal Mothers toys.
Also in the foreground. That big white bottle. A lifetime's supply of wheel cleaner. It's been in the store now for the two years I've been getting Mothers products. It'll probably have gone off before it does get sold.

Tony.
Attached Images

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 02-28-2008

Cowboy Truckn.
I just let this one slide by because I thought the answers were leading you in the right direction, and so they may be, but I'd like to add a couple of options here for you.
We have a product here in Australia, similar to what I think you guys call 'Goo Off', and I stress the words 'similar to'.

It's citrus based as is called Orange Power, and I know that you don't have it in the US.
The original one we had I just can't seem to find any more, but let me tell you, it was the closest thing I have ever seen to outright magic. There was no sticky residue of any sort that it would not remove completely. It was a mixture of citrus oils derived from the rind of oranges and lemons also, being citrus based. It also had in the mix some eucalyptus oil, derived from our 'Gum' trees here in Australia.

I did however trace a product somewhat similar to the Orange product we have, in the US, and it's from a Company based in Sarasota Florida. They're called Interstate Products Inc, and this link is to the site containing the products.
Half way down the page is the product in question, called Orange Plus Super Orange Plus Tar Remover. Read the information there and for ordering I went to the the yellow 'How to Order' tab at the top.
I'm only including this because I've used a similar product and I know that the one we have works a treat. If you use it, just put some of the thickish fluid onto a cotton wool ball and wipe across the deposit. As you can read it has no harsh chemical solvents, but my advice might be to wax after removal.

http://www.interstateproducts.com/natural.htm

Oddly enough, when I mentioned it to my good lady wife, she went off, and I just sort of went onto the next thing. Within 5 minutes she was back with a little book she has that deals with the removal of 'ANY' stain on on any surface.
She said that eucalyptus oil can also be used for this same purpose and I don't know why I didn't think of that either, as the original product I used had this oil in the mix with the orange oils.

Now Eucalyptus oil is an Australian product, and I might say not readily available in the US. However, I would also mention that you might be able to find the pure oil in a Chemists outlet, (drug stores I think you guys call them) and the place to look would be in the Aromatherapy section, or even to ask one of the staff in the Pharmacy.

The following link mentions that it can be used to remove Tar stains from car paint work.
Again, the advantage here is also that it is a natural product with no chemical solvents, and again I might also mention that just to be sure, then wax the paint after using this also.
At about half way down the page, there is a heading, Stain spot and tar remover.
Again use the tiniest amount on a cotton wool ball. Dab it on , and then wipe, and it might need some pressure but not too much.

http://www.fgb.com.au/Natural%20Rem%...old%20Tips.htm

Tony.

Old 02-28-2008

Thanks for the info Tony. I never knew they had a product like that. Nice idea with the dispenser wipes too.
Old 02-29-2008

Oh! One thing.
(It's off topic I know, but the original Thread started here, so I'll keep it attached here for relevance back to the post)

If any of you do follow up on the Eucalyptus Oil, I have a word of warning.
The smell is positively addictive. Without fraction of a doubt, it is 'THE' most fragrant smelling oil, hence its use in aromatherapy. It has numerous uses here in Australia, and is used in the medicinal field, applied to the skin, not taken orally, and also as a disinfectant, as well as for cleaning.

http://www.ausimports.com/eucoil.htm

I have an abiding interest in Australian Native plants especially the trees, and the Eucalyptus is just one of hundreds of genus of trees, and just in the Eucalyptus family, there are are over 500 different varieties, some since renamed. They go by the name of Gum trees, and are only native here in Australia, other than for a couple of varieties in one or two Asian countries.
Incidentally, some varieties have been exported to and grown quite prolifically in Southern California. One variety has seeds sold as the California Bluegum, when in actual fact, it is an Australian Eucalyptus.
The oil is extremely volatile and that is why Australian wild fires (we call them bushfires) are so dangerous, because they are just so hot, so huge, and move so fast, and some Eucalyptus have actually been known to explode.

Other than the oil, the trees have other uses. The leaves, which contain the oil have long been used to freshen up your hands. Grab a handful of the leaves and crush them in your hands while rubbing them, and they will freshen up, and with some water will even lather up a little, somewhat similar to soap.

Another one for you old guys. (Real old guys, and with old cars)
In the early days, farmers, when caught out with oiled up plugs or electrics that had gone on the fritz, had a trick to use in an emergency.
A young green gum leaf was the same thickness as the gap needed for spark plugs and the points gap in the distributor, 13 to 17 Thou.
The farmers would clean the plug in the soft sand,
wipe it clean, and then check the gap with the green gum leaf, and then do the same after cleaning the pitted points.

The trees are plentiful, and varied. The one in this photograph is called the Swamp Bloodwood. (Eucalyptus Ptychocarpa) The flowers are from the seed pods called gumnuts, which are about as big as your thumb and contain hundreds of seeds. The red flowers are out like this for anything up to three to four months, and the leaves can be up to ten inches long and two inches wide.

So, if you do get hold of the oil, then beware, because the smell will get you. It's just beautiful.

Tony.

Attached Images

Old 02-29-2008

On the subject of eucalyptus I had an aromatherapy massage on our honeymoon in June and they used eucalyptus. I fell in love with the smell and for Christmas my wife put some eucalyptus spearmint body wash and shampoo in my stocking. Men can smell good too.

On the subject of car cleaning again I am going to try and try this weekend to clean my truck. Well my truck is clean except for these little irritations. I have got to try a few things and I am not stopping until they are gone. I may even stoop to washing my truck with eucalyptus spearmint body wash and waxing with shampoo.
Old 02-29-2008

Cowboy Truckn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTruckn
I may even stoop to washing my truck with eucalyptus spearmint body wash and waxing with shampoo.
No No, don't do it. Something like this might happen. Yuk yuk yuk!

Ford Falcon Ute TV advertisement

Tony.

Old 03-02-2008

Good news the Goo Gone brought off all those little black spots. I felt a little guilty I wanted to make a Mother's label to put over the top of it. I read on the ingredient list that is contained the same thing as the bug and tar remover I used but I guess it was just a lot more concentrated.

Just an idea but I would rather buy a quality Mother's product that is 100% made for an automotive finish. I don't know but I am assuming that Goo Gone will remove wax as well.

I did the wife's Nitro first and I even took a couple of pictures that I will post as soon as my wife tells me how. I used only Mother's products (except for the Goo Gone) I will also include a list of the products I used. My Silverado will have to wait, we have rain coming in today.
Old 03-02-2008

I started with the tires, wheels, and fender wheels. I washed then removed those pesky black spots with Goo Gone (only non-Mother's product) and washed again (Two Bucket method). I then opened all the doors and cleaned the door seals. Dryed using Pat Dry method. I clayed the whole car top to bottom. I hit all the trim, chrome, plastic and glass. I shined the tires, waxed, and shined tires again.

Inside was easier. I took it to the car wash to use their vacuum. I vacuumed the carpet, dusted cracks and air vents, cleaned all the plastic and dash, and cleaned the windows. I do the windows last because I always get protectant on them and the glass cleaner removes it no problem.

The products used were: FX Wheel Cleaner, Tire and Rubber Cleaner, Mother's Bucket, Car Wash, Back to Black, Chrome Polish, Plastic Polish, Glass Cleaner, Clay Bar, Showtime Instant Detailer, FX Tire Shine, Cleaner Wax, Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner, Protectant, Wheel Brush, Brake Dust Brush, Fender Well Brush, Tire Brush, Lambswool Wash Mitt, Drying Towel, Wheel and Jamb Towel, Microfiber Applicator Pad, Polishing Cloth, Quick Detail Towel, Carpet and Upholstery Brush, and the Detail Brush.

I have included a few pictures so you can see the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0019.JPG
Views:	706
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	1064   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0020.JPG
Views:	717
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0023.JPG
Views:	695
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	1068   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0026.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	1071  
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2008

Cowboy Truckn
Great work. It might take time that first work up, but when you see it like this, it's all worth it.
I just love that colour.
Silverado's next?

Tony.

PS. Say, kewl shorts.

Attached Images

Old 03-02-2008

Great job on the car! I really love that shot of the wheels. It's really evident that it was waxed and the dressing looks really nice and professionally done.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Old 03-02-2008

Yeah, Silverado next. My wife told me to cut a tree in the yard next week so it may be two weeks but it will get washed at least. Then the next week it will be detailed. Just like a woman, gets what she wants then puts me to work.

Don't let her know but I enjoy it!

The shorts were my sleep attire. I was going out the next morning because we took the first pictures the night before on too high of a quality to post. I had to lower the setting on the camera.

I didn't think nobody could tell
Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >