Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-31-2005

Default After claying

I have a 2005 Kia Sorento, it's white and I see some swirls and I'm sure it needs some work. I went and got the claying kit, however after reading some posts I'm concerned. After I wash and dry and then clay do I need to do a pre wax and then a sealer and glaze then wax? Do I just wash, dry, clay and then wax? Of course the paint is in pretty great shape and she is garage kept except at work where it's in a covered parking deck. Also help me with the wheels. They are stock, alloy wheels, what can I polish them with? Will the billett polish work on them? Will it also work on the silver trim on the outside?
I know that's a lot of questions but I need the answer to all of them, I also need to get this done today since I'll work tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2005

Default Re: After claying

I would do the following for the paint:

1. wash
2. clay
3. P1- prewax cleaner
4. P2- sealer and glaze (polish)
5. P3- wax

OR

1. wash
2. clay
3. FX Synwax.

If you go the first route, some people don't like to polish white paint, but since you have swirls, the P2, Sealer and Glaze, will help with that problem. This process is the most time consuming but works very well.

If time is an issue and since your paint is in good shape, you may want to try the second route. I would use the FX wax after claying. It is very easy to use, makes the surface super slick, and leaves a brilliant shine. The FX also does a good job on spiderwebbing or minor scratches like you described. It is a synthetic wax and has some mild polishes in the formula, which help with minor surface defects.

If you want to remove the minor scratches and not simply hide them, then you will probably need a DA polisher and some Mother's Power Polish. However, the recommendations above will fill and hide the scratches making them less noticeable, especially if you use the first routine.

As far as your rims, I wouldn't use the billet polish on those. Your rims are probably clearcoated if they are factory OEM. Try to find some Mother's Clear Coat Wheel Polish or Mother's Plastic Polish. If those aren't available, use the FX wax on the rims after cleaning. The FX will polish and protect the rims also.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2005
Mothers® Polish

If you want to REMOVE the swirls, you'd:

wash
clay
polish (PowerPolish)
(optional) glaze
wax

If you want to HIDE the swirls you'd:

wash
clay
FX SynWax (or Reflections Car Wax)
(optional) Reflections Top Coat

The stock, alloy wheels are clear coated. Use the proper wheel cleaner (like our Wheel Mist All Wheel or FX Wheel Cleaner), then protect them. Billet is NOT the proper product as it's made for a non-coated wheel. You'd want our Clear Coat Wheel Polish, or possibly Plastic Polish if you can't find Clear Coat Wheel Polish. As for the outside trim, what's it made of? Billet, I'm sure, is not the proper product for it.

You didn't mention what city you're in, but Pep Boys stocks everything listed above, except for Top Coat, if there happens to be a Pep near you.
Old 08-31-2005

Thanks for all the great info. I'm in Alabama. I think there was a Pep Boy's Down south, not sure of what's left there now after Katrina. I think I will go with the Syn Wax, been wanting an excuse to use it anyway and since Katrina hit and I'm an ER nurse my off day's have been taken away and I'll be on 12 hour day's for atleast the next week, maybe two. Syn Wax will be the way to go.
Old 08-31-2005

I'm in Alabama, too. Good luck finding Mother's products in the stores. I order most of my stuff. There is a Pepboys in Mobile, but I think that is it for the state. O'Reilly's and Advance Auto have a decent selection. Advance carries the FX Synwax and Clay kit. I love the FX, and if your paint is in good shape, it is the way to go.
Old 09-01-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
I'm in Alabama, too. Good luck finding Mother's products in the stores. I order most of my stuff. There is a Pepboys in Mobile, but I think that is it for the state. O'Reilly's and Advance Auto have a decent selection. Advance carries the FX Synwax and Clay kit. I love the FX, and if your paint is in good shape, it is the way to go.
Today I washed, clayed, sealer and waxed all mothers products of course and my truck (white chevy s-10 2000) looks unbeleivable. This isn't the first time doing that routine. I've done that routine but add the cleaner wax before the sealer.
Anyways my question is would FX take the paint to a "different" level? If yes, would I need to rid what I have on the paint right now? If yes that's no problem as long as the FX will do it. I look forward to your reply. I'm out.
adam buder
l
Old 09-01-2005

FX will take white to a different level. Its the shiniest wax Mothers make.

rlogle, my sympathies for what's going on in your part of the world...I wish you all the best in your duties.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 09-01-2005

Adam, FX would be ideal for white paint. It is great for paint in good to execellent condition. It is easy to use, leaves a super slick finish, and has a brilliant shine. It even adds some depth to light colors like white that is difficult to get from other waxes. I have a yellow truck, and I have tried different products on it. However, it has never looked better than with the FX.

Since your finish has been recently prepped and waxed, you should be able to put the FX on the next time you wash with no problems. There is no need to remove any existing products, unless for some reason your paint needs claying or cleaning (P1). The FX has mild polishes in the formula to help clean and prep the surface for the synthetic wax to bond and protect the finish.
Old 09-01-2005

Stayed up late last night to clay and wax. The paint on my '05 Sorento felt really slick but I thought I'd clay anyway. Nothing, It pulled nothing off and felt no different. I used the FX Synwax, no different there either. I'm not sure if it's because the paints white or just that I did something wrong. First I waxed one side of the hood, let it dry to a haze and buffed it off and compared it to unwaxed side. They looked exactly the same, except when you look across the paint it seems like the "spidering" or swirls are more evident on the waxed side. Wonder what I missed?
Old 09-02-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
Adam, FX would be ideal for white paint. It is great for paint in good to execellent condition. It is easy to use, leaves a super slick finish, and has a brilliant shine. It even adds some depth to light colors like white that is difficult to get from other waxes. I have a yellow truck, and I have tried different products on it. However, it has never looked better than with the FX.

Since your finish has been recently prepped and waxed, you should be able to put the FX on the next time you wash with no problems. There is no need to remove any existing products, unless for some reason your paint needs claying or cleaning (P1). The FX has mild polishes in the formula to help clean and prep the surface for the synthetic wax to bond and protect the finish.
Bama,
Thanks for getting back. I really can't imagine my paint gaining more depth orgetting smoother. I'm not popping off, the credit gors to mothersand their products. I'm the guy obsessed with paint. My neighbors love me, i'll pearl out their car(s) for $20. Bucks, they also think i'm nuts. Anyways I hope all is going good considering your circumstances with the hurricane. My prayers go out to you and others close to you. I'm out.
adam
Old 09-02-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntroutinh.b.
Bama,
Thanks for getting back. I really can't imagine my paint gaining more depth orgetting smoother. I'm not popping off, the credit gors to mothersand their products. I'm the guy obsessed with paint. My neighbors love me, i'll pearl out their car(s) for $20. Bucks, they also think i'm nuts. Anyways I hope all is going good considering your circumstances with the hurricane. My prayers go out to you and others close to you. I'm out.
adam
Adam, if you found a system that works for you, by all means keep using it. However, if you ever get the itch, give the FX a try. I think that you will like it.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm in Southeast Alabama and the effects of Hurricane Katrina were minimum here. However, the people in New Orleans, Gulfport, Mobile, and those areas all need our prayers and thoughts. The conditions in those areas are horrendous. The firm I work for has an office in Gulfport, and it's gone. I have been through several hurricanes, but I have never seen anything like what has happened.
Old 09-02-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlogle
Stayed up late last night to clay and wax. The paint on my '05 Sorento felt really slick but I thought I'd clay anyway. Nothing, It pulled nothing off and felt no different. I used the FX Synwax, no different there either. I'm not sure if it's because the paints white or just that I did something wrong. First I waxed one side of the hood, let it dry to a haze and buffed it off and compared it to unwaxed side. They looked exactly the same, except when you look across the paint it seems like the "spidering" or swirls are more evident on the waxed side. Wonder what I missed?
The clay generally takes off contaminants that you can see and those you can't. Claying is never a bad idea, so you didn't waste your time doing that. The effects are just less noticeable when your finish is in good shape. Since you have an 05, that is probably the case.

As far as the minor scratches being more noticeable, I don't really understand that. What did you use after the clay - polishes, waxes, etc? How and what did you use to apply the products? What did you use to remove the products? More info would help, plus a picture.

The surface, after claying, is always going to be slick. However, the FX leaves the surface really slick also similar to Zaino, but if you clayed, you may not have been able to tell the difference the FX wax makes. I have never seen FX to make scratches more noticeable. In my experience, it usually hides them if anything. If the scratches are that noticeable on white paint, you will probably need to use a DA polisher and a polish like Power Polish to remove those. You could try the Sealer and Glaze (P2) by hand. It does a good job of filling and hiding minor scratches.
Old 09-02-2005
Mothers® Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlogle
What type of towels were you using for the SynWax removal? And for the clay lubricant removal?

Any idea how heavy a coat of SynWax was applied? I know it's tough to see on white paint, but, as a point of reference, how much product is left in the bottle?
Old 09-02-2005

I used very little FX, just a thin film. I applied it with an applicator pad. It's the pad I got with my Nxt wax, (but never used that wax or the pad). I allowed the wax to dry to a haze then removed it with a microfiber cloth. I think I mis-stated something..... There really aren't any scratches on the truck (I hate the term SUV). What is more noticeable are the swirls, the spider webbing when you look across the paint, in the light.... not sure if I can describe it enough to make it clear. Will try to get some pics. I found a product called Pinnacle Swirl Remover that you use with a DA polisher.
The paint is in good shape anyway, except the swirl marks, which I guess some people wouldn't even notice but they drive me crazy.
I found a buffer at Sears for around $40, but not sure if these cheap one's would work.
Old 09-02-2005

Spiderwebbing or swirls, are actually very fine scratches that usually occur by washing, drying, waxing, polishing, etc. Many vehicles have them even when they are new.

However, the Meguiar's applicators are very good imo, and as long as they are clean, they shouldn't cause any scratches. Same thing with the micro fiber towels. However, if you drop either on the ground, then that can cause problems.

The swirls could come from a number of sources. I have found that most come from washing and drying. What do you use to wash your vehicle with and dry it?

As far as removing the "swirls," I don't know that an orbital buffer will do it. I would suggest using a DA Polisher and something like Mother's Power Polish. It is a great product, easy to use, and very versatile. I have never used the Pinnacle Swirl Remover you mentioned. A cheaper method might be using the Phase 2, Sealer and Glaze, it HIDES and FILLS swirls pretty well on most applications.
Old 09-02-2005

Cool Re: After claying

Bama, I agree with you about the source of the swirls.

I think every swirl I have ever gotten on any car I have ever owned can be traced to poor washing and drying practices on my part.

Allow me to step into the confessional ....

Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned ...

Yes, there was a time when I only used one bucket and one wash mitt to wash my car.

Yes, there was a time when I thought an old chamois drug all over the car was the best way to dry a car.

Yes, there was a time when I thought self-service car washes were the perfect place to steam-clean an engine.

Yes, there was a time when I used to wash the car in the sun.

Yes, there was a time when I thought an old hand towel was the perfect wash rag or wax applicator.

Yes, there was a time when I used to set the can of J-Wax Paste Wax on the hood of the car just to watch it slide off.

I'm sure there are other sins that are too dark and sinister to be recalled and have been wiped from my memory. Just proves that you're never too old to learn new (and better) ways to wash a car!

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 09-02-2005

Wiz,

Man, I don't know what to say... other than I think you're going to h-e-double-toothpicks after all them sins!

(Just kidding.)

Life is sure a learning process...

I was at Kragen last week picking up a PowerBall and I got to talking with one of the guys that worked there. His much younger co-worker heard us talkin' about microfibers and whatnot... so this youngster goes "I use a chamois -- am I not supposed to be using a chamois?" and we proceeded to share our combined vast knowledge of microfiber towels.

Oh, sure, I used to use a chamois to dry my cars... I am guilty. But that was in the '70s.

But I've met guys who not only dry with a chamois, they also wash with chamois, and then wonder what's up with the spiderwebbing on their freshly-waxed muscle car. I hope they've seen the light.

That's what's so great about the Internet... it allows us to share ideas with each other, and learn from other's experiences... both good and bad.

Remember... Keep the shiny side up!
Old 09-03-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D.
Wiz,

Man, I don't know what to say... other than I think you're going to h-e-double-toothpicks after all them sins!

(Just kidding.)

Life is sure a learning process...

I was at Kragen last week picking up a PowerBall and I got to talking with one of the guys that worked there. His much younger co-worker heard us talkin' about microfibers and whatnot... so this youngster goes "I use a chamois -- am I not supposed to be using a chamois?" and we proceeded to share our combined vast knowledge of microfiber towels.

Oh, sure, I used to use a chamois to dry my cars... I am guilty. But that was in the '70s.

But I've met guys who not only dry with a chamois, they also wash with chamois, and then wonder what's up with the spiderwebbing on their freshly-waxed muscle car. I hope they've seen the light.

That's what's so great about the Internet... it allows us to share ideas with each other, and learn from other's experiences... both good and bad.

Remember... Keep the shiny side up!

Thank God that I have repented from my evil ways and have been forgiven of my sins!

Yes, I have learned a lot from the internet. This board, Autopia, and the car care sections of a couple of other boards have shone me the light.

Although ... I did figure out that two mitts and adding a rinse bucket would be a good way to go.

Hey Forest and Admin ... You know .... it would be nice if Mothers would put the two mitt and two bucket theory on the bottle of car wash.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 09-03-2005
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Of Iz

Although ... I did figure out that two mitts and adding a rinse bucket would be a good way to go.

Hey Forest and Admin ... You know .... it would be nice if Mothers would put the two mitt and two bucket theory on the bottle of car wash.
We'll pass that on to the powers "above," because we sure find ourselves recommending it around here an awful lot.
Old 09-04-2005

IZ, I am there with you man. In fact, I have been there, done that, and bought a T-shirt. I think we all have, and hopefully, we learned something from it.