Post Thanks / Like

Marketing Idea Need Your Input

I was looking at the cars for sale in the paper. I was thinking I wonder how many of these people have had the car detailed out before running the ad.

My thought was I could ask $200 or more and because the car looks much cleaner the seller could ask another $500 to $1000.

I`ve made a few calls this morning, but not getting threw so I think this might be an evening thing when people are home.

What do you all think about this idea?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    It is funny that you mention that Beemer, I was thinking of that idea the other day. In thinking of starting my own shop, I have been going through all kinds of ideas to make sure that I can make it full time.

I think that the idea is a good one, especially for someone who is or has been in sales and knows what rejection is like, as I think that you may get treated as a telemarketer sometimes. I know that when I have had cars for sale, I have gotten calls from auto trader publications asking me if I want to list my vehicle in their publication, so it is kind of the same prinicple (this is where the idea came to me from)!

There are so many sources for this, whether it is cars in the paper, on the internet (e-mail would be easy) or you drive by them on the street.

Let me know how it works out.

Jason

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was considering the exact same thing today! After managing to turn what looked like a car that was designed to get beaten up, and had done just that. Into a sparkling show car, I figured that $200 was a nice ammount of money for the work.

Thats when the idea of cleaning cars for sale poped into my mind.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a great idea! But, I think y`all could make an extra $50 on top of the $200 you`re already gonna charge, by simply havin` a long legged, thong wearin`, big hootered, high heeled wearin`, 25 year old, blonde haired, hootchie mamma doin` the detail work. Chances are you`d get some repeat business this way too!

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could have that kinda of person doing my detail work. But that means I gotta pay her, and I am picky as heck about small details.

For example, right now I am tired as heck, but I know there is a small spot on the back bumper of the car I just got through detailing the needs to be buffed out reall quick, but I dont feel like fixing it, problem is, I cant get it out of my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just let her work for tips!

Now get out there and work on that bumper.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Therein lies the problem. I am 17, and she is 18. I am about as attractive as a owl impaled through a motorcycle, and she is capable of modeling for Victoria`s Secret.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I refuse to go buff out that 1x2" spot sitting 3" from the license plate next to the little light thingy thats next to the Baylor University bumper sticker.

I am out to prove that I do not live my life to detail cars...*eyes the terry towels in the closet 5 feet away*.

Post Thanks / Like
    Problem solved!

Chicks dig ugly dudes. All an ugly dude has to do is learn to play guitar. There`s a heap of ugly dudes out there who play guitar and have drop dead good lookin` babes.

But, if you`re like me (I can`t play a radio, much less a guitar), then you`d better have a cool car. That I`m sure you can muster up!

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a modest 1990 5.0 Mustang. Its decently fast for my tastes, however, by no means the fastest in this area.

I cannot play a guitar, however, I am able to sing quite well (several awards in choir), but alas, singing is of no avail when it comes to women.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen your ride man. It`s AWESOME. You should be out on a friday night in that car on ...what we called in my younger days ... Poon Tang Patrol !

Post Thanks / Like
    Beemer
    There was a thread about this topic on another board a few months ago.

Here is the link

I think if you have the time, then try it out and see how works for you. What kind of cars and trucks were you calling about? Also, keep in mind your target market.

Eric

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, thanks jugslinger. Yeah it gets a few looks, but I mostly keep to myself when I cruise the local strip. Unless I see a friend or something. But I do on occasion, show people my taillights, if you get what I mean

Post Thanks / Like
    edschwab1

I`m going after teh high end cars the MB, BMW, Acura`s, etc. If you have a guy selling a 40K plusa car he has the cash to out out for a detail. The selling point is you ask for more money with selfconfidence that you have a better product to sell.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I think it is a creative idea.. remember it`s a #`s game out of 20 calls you might pick up 1.. but how long will it take you to make 20 calss and get 19 no`s 20 mins... but $200 dollars richer is worth it don`t you think... And one other tip don`t sell the product just talk to the customer ask discovery ?`s and then find out what the customer wants ( ex price for car ) then finess yourself into a conversation about the value of his car and how your services can help him get more for his car or at least what he is asking for.. remember we all sell for more than what we really want to get... Then take it one step further go to buy here pay heres and private car deallers and show them what you can do for them ... i know they pay roughly $75 bucks a car but build a rapore with them. then give out coupons for a free engine cleaning or something that does not take a heck of alot of time with and have the car place give to customers who buy the car to build your retail business.... oh another idea you might have thought of...... Silent auctions give a free car wash coupon and upsell you retail side of your business.. good luck i hope this helps a bit...
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Thread Information