Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Advice needed - I think my Carnauba melted.

I`m just an amateur when it comes to detailing so I am looking for a little advice.

The black paint on my car is about 9 years old and WAS heavily oxidized. I did quite a bit of work on the finish with the following steps.

1. Wash
    2. Meguiar`s One Step Cleaner
    3. Polish with Meguiar`s Show Car Glaze
    4. Apply coat of Meguiar`s #26 High Tech Yellow Wax
    5. Repeat another coat of #26

The finish turned out beautiful. But I encountered two problems shortly afterwards.

The wax job has gone "greasy looking"... it almost appears if the wax has melted and then re-hardended and is no longer glassy... but cloudy. I live in Toronto so the summers tend to get quite warm (mid 70`s - low 90`s).

Also I noticed this particular combo didn`t stand up well to acid rain, noticed some bad spotting on my hood (but not really anywhere else).

I`ve read that polymers have a much higher temperature threshold (if that is indeed my problem with the Carnauba).

Would using a polymer wax be a better bet... or should I follow the Show Car Glaze with Meguiar`s Polymer Sealant (think it`s #20) and then the Carnauba Wax?

Advice is greatly appreciated. I`m looking for off-the-shelf recommendations preferably.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to strip off the old wax you have polish and probley re apply wax. I would get some DACP for swirls and Oxidation if you have a machine if not get some poorboy`s SSR products and go by hang then apply a polymer or synthetic sealent IE Poorboys EX,Platnium UPP,Klasse AIO+SG,BFII,Zaino and the rest of them.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Oklahoma where summer heat can easily exceed 100 degrees farenheit with a good ammount of humidity and I never encountered a problem with "cloudyness" when using #26.

Are you sure it fully dried the first time you applied it before you buffed off the excess?
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    You sure the paint was 100% clean or the applicator or towel you where useing its often not the product but other things that can ruin that nice just waxed look.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Fr0zen, thanks for the quick reply. So would you deepsix the Carnauba altogether?

Tassadar, think for the first coat I may have left it on 20-30 minutes. Not sure if that is long enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never had a probley with S100 carnuba I would highley recommend it because its easy on off no wating for it to dry etc. Carnuba is great to top over sealents as it gives that pop. I would try the #26 Again it can give nice results. Never apply in the sun or use rags with other car cleaning things on it.

S100 is avalible at all Harley Davidson dealers.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not really a set ammout of time. Next time, try going over the surface in a very small area. If it wipes clean, then its ready, if it smears, let it sit longer.

Temperature, air density, humidity, EVERYTHING affects curing time.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats why I love S100 no time needed just apply and take Off really Tass you need to try it out.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do probably need to go back to scratch and use less wax, or go to the sealant....it will stand up better than plain wax on a black car in the summer sun and should also be a little better in the winter time...maintenence and proper preperation will also make the protection be better and last longer.

FrOzen thanks for the PB`s suggestion, but Canadian`s have limitation on produccts and because of the value of their money to us and with a combination of taxes for products shipped into Canada from the US...it makes it very hard to justify a great expense, compared to our prices.

Someday
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If humidity is high, using less is better. It is very humid here year round and if you use a lot of product (carnauba based) it will smear. Try an AIO like KLASS sparingly then top with a carnauba sparingly and the "smudging" will disappear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats What I use AIO With a Carnuba topper and have no problem with smudgeing although the first time I got S100 I let it sit for like 25 min I came back and I couldent get it off. I then learned 1 panel at a time.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Perpetual Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Park it out in the hot sun again and when it gets nice and baking, wipe it off with a microfiber towel, it should be OK then. I saw this on a friend`s black Audi that I`d #20`d. He put a coat of #26 over it, and in the heat it`d hazed like that.

I did catch it for him before it re-hardened. I didn`t supervise him applying the #26, so I can`t say how much he used, but if you didn`t wait about 24 hours between coats, you may have used too much and the first coat didn`t "set up". Then, when the wax did set, anything more than enough to cover the car with one layer had no where to go.

If it doesn`t unhaze in the heat, try re-applying #26, or QDing it before you try stripping it all off.

You can use carnubas on black cars in the heat and sun, no problem. Sealants do last longer, but carnuba on black looks awesome and is worth the extra couple applications. #26 is a great looking product.

#26 (over #20) in the 90* heat:

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice needed - I think my Carnauba melted.

Originally posted by IronChef
    I`m just an amateur when it comes to detailing so I am looking for a little advice.

The black paint on my car is about 9 years old and WAS heavily oxidized.
    1. Wash
    2. Meguiar`s One Step Cleaner
    3. Polish with Meguiar`s Show Car Glaze
    4. Apply coat of Meguiar`s #26 High Tech Yellow Wax
    5. Repeat another coat of #26

1. 9 yrs old black...you need swirl remover...
    2. How old was your wax and did you keep in a proper environment....I think wax can go bad under certain elements

Meguiars should work fine......need to apply it in shade also..
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    FrOzen thanks for the PB`s suggestion, but Canadian`s have limitation on produccts and because of the value of their money to us and with a combination of taxes for products shipped into Canada from the US...it makes it very hard to justify a great expense, compared to our prices.

Someday
    Yeah, yeah! Poor guys, so far from you.....
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cousin Jose..should I edit it to say Europe too?

Hawaii also pays a huge shipping charge for their products....

but back to the thread...yes it sounds like over use and the directions say use on a cool surface....... in the shade is best....
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information