97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like

re-using spray bottles, but with a different product

Was wondering if I could re-use my windex or other glass cleaning product spray bottles with different quick detailing products. I might be buying in bulk, meaning 1 to 5 gallons, which they don`t come in a spray bottle, so that`s why I was wondering about using the same spray bottle over and over. I would rinse the bottles out with soap and water before hand, but do you think this is a good idea? Yeah, I`m too cheap to buy new spray bottles.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    lol its funny how all of us lose track of reality and get crazy about "what will harm the car". I do it all the time....I`m actually looking for bottles for engine kote and its sprayer from meg...

About re-using bottles, I think it depends on what you are going to put in them. Personally, I wouldnt put any strong APC or highly acidic or basic products in.
    1. Glass sprayers usually spray a very fine mist. You wouldnt want to get strong cleaners in your lung.
    2. Over time, the strong cleaners may damage the sprayer (nothing expensive to replace)

Other than that, I personally reused the Meg`s Hot Wheels bottle with a dilution of simple green. Anything to put more money into the products right?

Professional Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    My chem. supplier has spray bottles at $1.00 each, triggers at $1.25 each, $2.00 when bought together.

Now I buy from the local janitorial supply company. Six or more at $1.10, a savings of $.90! Doesn`t sound like much, but I go through bottles like underwear.

BTW, Solvent-based dressing eat the seals in the triggers. Anyone else dealing with this? Maybe stainless steel tank/sprayers??
    Mike R.
    "Get That Great New Car Feeling"

Post Thanks / Like
    Spray bottles are pretty cheap to buy new. Home Deopt, BJ`s, etc. all have some nice bottles for a couple of bucks each.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stainbuster
    BTW, Solvent-based dressing eat the seals in the triggers. Anyone else dealing with this? Maybe stainless steel tank/sprayers??
    Meguiar`s has quite a variety of bottles and sprayers. If you use the Meg`s line, the bottles are even labeled for various products. I have no idea about price. Probably not the cheapest, but they do look professional.
    They also have a variety of spray nozzles. High volume, foaming, standard, chemical reasistant.
    They are shown in the Detailer section of the Meg`s Professional Product Guide.
    By the time I found out about them, I must have owned 20 or more 32oz. bottles from Wal*Mart, Dollar General, and Zep from Home Depot. Not much difference in the bottles, but the sprayers don`t all have an easily adjustable spray pattern. The Dollar General, ($1), and the Zep, ($3), seem to be the most difficult to get just the spray pattern I want. Not a big deal, just an aggravation.

Charles

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, I take it by the couple of comments so far that it`s best to buy new bottles and not re-use the ones I have?
    Last edited by III; 04-02-2004 at 04:36 PM.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would just buy some new bottles ............ Just my 2 cents worth
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.usplastics.com is a good source, you can get a catalog

I also saw some decent bottles at http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    For solvent-based or acid-based products I use the Delta SprayMaster at Home Depot. $5 but it comes with 5 year gurantee. For products that are more gentle, the spray bottles at Sams Club are great. 4 for $5 and they serve their purpose just fine.
    AUTOGLYM

Post Thanks / Like
    SAM`S has great bottles with triggers $5.00 + tax

Thread Information