Post Thanks / Like

Question Buying a PC 1st time need some advice please

Okay I`m not a detailer, I like to keep my car clean above the average,well not quite possible all year long because I`m from Boston,winter freezing temps -35F,snow,april showers etc...
    But at least when I can I would,I have a few question don`t mind my ignorance.

Okay

1 - After washing,my next step would be claying the car with just soapy water.
    2 - Then washing again.
    3 - Now polishing ( Which polisher would you guy recomemded for a dark blue clear coated paint.
    4 - Waxing,I`m using Maguire`s for now,I like to wax by hand.

Basically I want to buy the PC to get the wax off.

Which other applications can the PC be used by a N00B without damaging the paint ?

What about Sealants when they should be applied ? Is it really a must ?

4* is really the best leather cleaner around ?

Thank for you patient.

:newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buying a PC 1st time need some advice please

Good. what kind of "soap" do you use to wash the car with??

2 - Then washing again.
    Good

3 - Now polishing ( Which polisher would you guy recomemded for a dark blue clear coated paint.

I like either Using Pc or Rotary...
    Klasse AIO then 4 Start Ultimate paint protection or Poorboys EX
    then maybe my wax...(Souvran, Natty Wax, Mullet Wax or s100
    or
    Meguiars DACP, swirls free polish, Meguiars Glaze then my Wax..

4 - Waxing,I`m using Maguire`s for now,I like to wax by hand.

Basically I want to buy the PC to get the wax off.
    Well you can use the Pc to apply the polishes and to take off the products too...and still do the wax by hand...

Which other applications can the PC be used by a N00B without damaging the paint ?
    ALL

What about Sealants when they should be applied ? Is it really a must ?
    It will last longer than your waxes.....some top the sealants with a Wax..

4* is really the best leather cleaner around ?

Its great...cleaner and conditioner..just a great product

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re: Buying a PC 1st time need some advice please

Originally posted by JeffBruce
    Good. what kind of "soap" do you use to wash the car with??
    That a good point - Webb, I`m a noob at this too - learning and loving it. The wash you use makes a MUCH bigger difference than I would have guessed. I mean soap is soap, right?
    I don`t have much experience to drawn on so I purchased 4* ultimate shampoo mentioned on this board as a good one. Used it for the first time and was impressed - big difference. Almost no spotting even on the areas that were in the sun while washing. And this sounds kinda weird to me but it was easier to wash too - like the mitt was oiled - I guess that`s what they mean by lubricity. Locally, you should be able to find Meguiar`s gold class and Meguiar`s NXT both of which get mentioned a lot too.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using the PC to get the wax off is like using a table saw to slice bread - you can do it but why?

The PC is you best friend in correction and application of products - yeah you can remove with it but I wouldn`t. My #1 reason would be the potential to do damage to the paint, not with the PC alone but anything that might get caught in a MF or Terry bonnet you would use to remove the product.

As far as your steps go it`s a great start but let me add some 2 cents

Clay with a detailer spray (no silicone) - soapy water will tend to dry out the clay (not that it matters too much if you tear off smaller pieces and don`t reuse)...

I see 50/50 on the washing after claying, but IMHO you don`t need to if your next step is polishing. This step would get rid of any residue left over (unless you got really big hunks of clay stuck to the car :lol)

Your polishing step will really depend on if you have swirl marks or not. If you do then you probably want to take care of them using a Swirl Mark Remover. Then you can follow that up with a polish or glaze (something like Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish followed by Show Car Glaze). A sealant is not really necessary. Some prefer it over waxing for it`s longevity and shine (as well as the ability to layer a sealant). People like me prefer the combination of a sealant with a carnuba topper for the ultimate in shine and depth.

Waxing - by hand is great. If you can do it by PC (ie it`s not a paste wax) then why not? It goes much faster and you get a more uniform even coat. If it is a paste and you are going to do it by hand, try not to use a circular motion and follow the direction wind would flow over your car (ie on the hood from grill to windsheild) and try your best to use a straight line (small circular motions going in a straight line up and down are okay).

Is 4* Leather cleaner and conditioner the best? Well the best combo I have used...but that is a matter of personal preference and the amount of effort you want to put into it. There are some combo cleaner/conditioners out there that will give good results...

Hope that helps
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Buying a 6" PC. Any suggestions on pads/applicators/bonnets for these products:

Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner
    Show Car Glaze
    Medallion Premium Paint Protection

Also, what do you recommend for a quantity starting out???

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blackjag
    Buying a 6" PC. Any suggestions on pads/applicators/bonnets for these products:

Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner
    Show Car Glaze
    Medallion Premium Paint Protection

Also, what do you recommend for a quantity starting out???

Thanks!
    Do you mean you are buying a Porter Cable Dual Action Random Orbital Polisher? ....or some other 6" polisher.

The type and number of pads you``ll need is dependent on the type and quantity of work you will be doing.

If this PC is just for your personal use on an average finish you should be able to get by just fine with 1 cutting pad and 1 polishing pad....foam....for starters. You can always add more later.

If you`re going to use this machine commericially I have no experience to offer.

If you are getting something other than the Porter Cable then you`re probably wasting your money.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks JeffBruce and Jim S! It is a DA. I`ve ordered up the pads I need.

Thread Information