Thread: proper wash

'
    Post Thanks / Like

proper wash

What is the best way to wash a car to avoid swirls? I have polished most of my swirls out with my 7424 and would like to keep them out.

I am in the dry-cleaning business not detailing.

Sammy

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Start by cleaning the wheels with a wheel cleaner and using a brush and soapy wash to agitate the cleaner on the wheel.Wash the fender wells and tires.Wash and rinse each wheel,one at a time.Dump this water
    Next fill 2 buckets.One with water and shampoo,the other with clear water.Use a soft wash mitt like a chenille,MF or sheepskin.Try to wash in the shade if possible.
    Start by washing from top to bottom.Rinse the car down to get loose dirt off. Then start washing in sections and rinsing after each section from top down.Use the shampoo to wash and the clear to rinse.The clear bucket will trap dirt and grit away from your wash bucket so that you dont drag the grit over the paint.
    If the car is really dirty,use a different mitt on the lower panels.Dry immediately using a MF.
    The key is to wash the dirt away,not grind it in.Dont use a heavy hand and rinse often.

Did I do OK guys?
    Im Zaino free.

Post Thanks / Like
    They can dry clean t-shirts ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s real important to use a very slippery car wash. I have personally used (and liked) Platinum, Zaino, Griots and Coats Hawaiian Shine. I did not like Mothers and I could feel that it was a lot less slippery than the others and I would not use any of the cheapie washes in the auto stores. The Hawaiian Shine is not very expensive, but it works well. I like the black sheepskin mitt they sell over at CMA because it`s heavy when wet and I can just lay it on the flat panels and let it wash under its own weight.

'
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can dry clean them if they do not have any silk screen on them.

Sammy

Post Thanks / Like

Boss_429
    The slipperiest car wash I`ve ever used is Sonax Gloss Shampoo. Not very cheap though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh. Ive got Megs GC,EO,Pinnacle,P21s,Platinum,EF Power Wash,Etc.They all are a little different but they all work absolutely great.The Megs GC is the most inexpensive at 10 bucks a gallon and works as good as any of them.Just MHO.
    Im Zaino free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Washing is a very important aspect of exterior vehicle care. There are many myths out there and I will try to set things straight. The purpose of washing is to remove loose contaminants from the paint that if ignored would eventually damage the finish. During the wash process it is a good time to do some light detailing such as removing road tar, bugs, and to thoroughly clean the tires and rims.
    Start with a vehicle that is cool to the touch. Never wash your vehicle in direct sun light especially on a hot day. The hot sheet metal will cause the water to dry and may leave water spots on your finish. Also products such as degreasers work more aggressive when hot and may do damage to your vehicle. This usually means washing it in the morning, evening or under a shady tree. I as a professional detailer set up a portable canopy to provide shade and to cool the vehicle down. I also use 100% deionized (D.I.) water that dries spot free.
    Gather all of all of the things you will need such as a 2 large buckets, two wash mitts, a pH balanced car wash soap, a bug sponge, chamois, and an assortment of safe specialized cleaning products for areas such as the wheels, wheel wells and grill area. Don’t for get your specialized brushes and other tools.
    Next pre-treat the tires, rims, grill area, and rocker panels with the appropriate cleaner to soften or dissolve the tar, grime and/or bugs. Now rinse your vehicle with a cool stream of water to rinse off the dirt. Now is the time to scrub the pre-treated areas with your bug sponge and /or brushes. By now you should have prepped your wash bucket with the correct type and amount of soap (follow the instructions on the bottle). Use the second bucket as a rinse buck that only contains clean water. Dip a large fluffy wash mitt into the soapy water and starting from the top thoroughly wash the vehicle using light pressure. The idea here is to give your vehicle a thorough wash without scratching it. Dip your wash mitt offten into the clear water bucket to rinse out dirt from the mitt. Use the second “grunge” wash mitt to wash the wheels and wheel wells, rocker panels, and any other very dirty areas. If it is very hot out, do one section at a time and immediately rinse it tokeep the soap from drying ont he finish. Once the vehicle has been soaped down rinse the whole vehicle.
    Use a chamois to dry the vehicle. I have been using a high quality synthetic chamois for years now and they work great. Go over all areas and don’t forget to open the trunk and door to dry the jams. At this point I go over my washed vehicle and check for any missed areas. If everything looks good you finish up by cleaning the windows, dressing the trim and tires and vacuuming the inside.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Thread Information