1 1.72%
  • Blaupunkt (spelling?)

4 6.90%
  • other (please post manuf. name)

11 18.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Car Stereo - Which one?

The other day my car stereo, along with some other stuff, just magically disappeared out of my car :angry I need some opinions on which deck to get in its place. I am not trying to win a comp. but would like to get a good stereo / cd player in it place. I have had both Kenwood and Pioneer in the past, and would like to see which manufacturers seem to be the most consistent in producing high quality components.

Thanks

Eric

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on how much money you want to spend. Do you need a CD player or would something like a Cassette headunit and a CD changer work out? I did that in my Accord and I like it alot. Nobody is going to break into your car to jack a cassette player. I put a MiniDisc player in my Integra. I just gotta say that I love that deck. MDs are more durable and hold just as much information as a CD. I can fit well over 300 minutes of music on a minidisc and they never ever ever skip. The headunit is a Sony Xplod and I am very impressed. Also, nobody is going to steal it because hardly anybody in the states uses minidiscs. I don`t know why they never caught on.... they rule!!!

Something else to consider is if you want the CD player to play MP3 discs or just normal discs. Its possible to get a really good CD deck that just plays normal discs and then get a changer that plays MP3s. There are just too many choices. I`ve been really impressed with the Xplod decks that I`ve had and I can safely recomend them. They may not be as high quality as a 300 dollar deck, but they sound great for a normal car that isn`t planning on entering any bass wars or anything.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    When looking for a cd player, look for the s/n ratio (signal to noise). I is the amount of background static when playing a cd. Also look at the RMS watts and not the peak power watts. THe RMS is continuous watts like music playing all the time while max is at a certain point. Check out Crutchfield.com they have lots of info and the specs of lots of cd players/

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always get a cheap player so it is less likely to get stolen
    With a removable face too.

I`ve had good luck with Blau`s and Alpine.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO as an ex-car audio salesman and installer...
    Blaupunkt is very bland and tends to be problematic for most users. Pioneer is okay, loud but not clean sound. Sony tends to be mellow but also they have a sound curve they use to create the "Sony sound" and if it`s not your taste it sucks. Alpine used to be the all around king with a super flat response aimed at accurate reproduction of the media, however their quality sucks now and they fall apart too much. The finish wears off their plastic REALLY easy too leaving odd colored spots on your stereo face. Aiwa leaves too much to be desired and I tend to think of them as "Mickey Mouse". JVC is simple and for the most part inexpensive, leaving much to be desired. Kenwood tends to follow Alpine by flat response curves but their products tend to flucuate from year to year on quality, look, and features. Some years good, some bad.
    My picks are Clarion and Eclipse.
    However, your taste (like choosing a wax or sealant) is all that matters and you have to ask what you want from your deck. A deck that plays mp3`s will allow you to play 200+ songs from one disc but... the quality will be quite lower ON A HIGH END SYSTEM. If you run stock or inexpensive speakers off the deck`s power you will not be affected as much, but you can still tell.

JNGR. Like Beta, MD`s never caught on because of Sony`s execs. They overprice new technology that in both cases was vastly superior and chose not to license it out. Also, they priced them high very and in the US that doesn`t get market share. In Japan, the most high tech, exclusive, and novel is what sells and they do well there. For reference Japan has had HDTV for decades because when it became available they bought it up. Over here we had to have laws passed (I`m not kidding) requiring us to switch over to Digital media (CD`s, DVD`s, and HDTV). Go figure....

ProbeGT good advice.
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Eclipse the best, followed by Clarion and Alpine. JVC is usually pretty good for the money, as are kenwood. Figure out what features you want and need, then find one that you like the looks of and that fits your budget. Also make sure you like the ergonomics. And one last thing to check for, make sure it will play your cds before you buy it. Some are really picky about playing burned cds (such as nakamichi) and some don`t read through scratches very well. So just take in a few of your cds (cdr`s, scratched, etc) to the shop and make sure they all play.

Just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny Blaupunkt used to be the oem stereo in Mercedes..at least I think they used to be
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah and porsche.
    German electronics are also known to be crap. Look up Bosch and Blau in consumer reports and other sources. Mercedes and VW and plagued with electrical probs....
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought so...Eclipse .. never heard of em...I`ll have to check them out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. So far the top 3 are pretty even :dunno Keep `em comin

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Plain and simple I like the quality and sound from the Nakamichi line. Expensive but well worth it. I have one in my Nissan 240 SX and one in my Ford Escape. The six disk in deck CD changer can`t be beat. My GTO still has the stock AM/FM radio. lol
    1969 GTO Judge 2002 Ford Escape

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard of that one :dunno Has anyone ever heard pf Lanzars and are they any good?

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Elortt - easy answer just watch pimp my ride on MTV and get what they put in those cars --- they are schweeeeet!

Post Thanks / Like
    better yet, maybe I can get them to pimp my ride Awwwww yeeeaaahhhh, That would be off the heezy fo sheeezy :cool

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Hey Eric,I`ve read some good things about pioneer headunit, maybe get one with MP3 playability

OT: I would get my windows tinted if I got expensive stereos, they can`t steal what they can`t see in the first place :dunno
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information