Post Thanks / Like

Discolored\Tarnished wheels help

I have what appears to be light scratches and discolorations on my clear coated 1990 Daytona wheels (the pic is the worst of the four) anyway I hand rubbed some rubbing compound\polishing compound then some wax on each (helped a bit) but some is still there - as can be seen by the pic. Since the wheels have clear like body paint do you think I can take a dremel or high speed buffer to it using some glaze or 3M rubbing polish as if taking a layer off the clear like what you would do for oxidized paint? I don`t want to damage the clear that is on there as it appears still ok. Thanks for all help!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any other pictures of the damage?

If what you are doing is working, I would continue to do this. This will take time as the wheels are 14 years old. If you have a pc I would try this first, but if all you have is Rotary or Dremel give those are try. Other options you could try are chemical cleaner, such as AIO, Medallion paint cleaner or Mother Clear coat wheel polish.
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply , I currently do not have another pic but I will say that all those little scratches on the wheel are there they are not an anomoly on your monitor. Looks to me as though at one time someone left a wheel cleaner on it for too long (or applied hot) maybe that is what caused the streaking and then looks as though someone at one time caused the light scratches like using a brillo pad or something.

Thats where my idea of using a paint cleaner (such as 3M) and using my PC to take off a layer of clear coat , I just don`t know if it works the same as on paint as it does on a wheel as I do not want to make it worse. If I do it this way would I want to use a terry or foam pad? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try a chemical cleaner type product first. Pro-polish or similar product should work to clean up some of the discoloration. But just like the clear on you car you may have to use a stronger abrasive product. I personally would not use a power tool on wheels of that age because once you break through the clear in one area it will get bad rapidly. The heat generated from the brakes seem to cause the clear to crack and "shed" once you break through the clear. One other option is remove the wheels and thoroughly clean them and use some "wheel paint" on them. You can also get clear wheel paint. Not the perfect option but an option none the less, hope this helps

Eric

Thread Information