Post Thanks / Like

Hey Nickc0844 - How much vibration using Edge 2000 Pads

Nick,

You stated in your "Top of the Line Detail" thread that you experienced some vibration using the Edge 2000 Pads with a 6" counter weight. Additionally you mentioned that you spoke with Aaron about it on Saturday regarding a possible solution. Could you please expand upon that? I just received my Edge 2000 pads for my PC and if possible I`d like to know what issues (if any) that I may encounter. How do you like the pads compared to others?

Thanks.

JLM

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure jlm--
    I`ll use this as my thread for the testing I did. Pictures will have to come a little later, but they are of the pads I have.

Aaron had stated that others experienced vibration with the new DA 2000 Pads and asked what my take was on it. There is a bit more vibration occuring, I will say that. However, if you`ve used the PC for a good bit of time, you can get used to it. I guess I`ve just put a lot of hours on the 3 that I`ve had, so it wasn`t a major factor to me.

Aaron suggested using a 5" and a 6" weight with new screws, however, someone just told me that it didn`t fix the problem.

First off, the new Durafoam blows away the pads I have used in the past, even the original Edge DA pads. It is softer and seems to be cleaning up easier and better. I like not having a backing plate now, as I can use the sides of the pad. This comes into play when trying to get into tight spots like grills and below mirrors.

After initial use, I did not have any problems with the threads coming apart, but after the caution email, I have used ThreadLock on the adapter.

As for cleaning, they clean up very well. Using Don`s suggestion for months now, I use Murphy`s Oil Soap to clean the pads. On wax and sealant pads, I use a couple squirts of Greezed Lightning to make sure the product breaks down. Degreasers used to be the deadly factor to velcro adhesive. I`m glad I`m not dealing with that anymore.

I personally like the height of the pads, and quick connect is awesome. I have a yellow/blue pad that works sweet. See the Poorboy`s Edge M5 thread for more results.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the 5", 6" and piggyback combos, for the short time I tried them all seemed to vibrate more than my LC 7.5" pads/6" backplate. Anything above speed 4.5 seemed like more vibration than the LC at speed 6. I have a feeling it because of the physics of the pad being 2-3" from the PC. It seems like the forces make the PC/pad "wobble" around on the paint, thus making it hard to control.

Maybe Aaron can experiment with a shorty adapter to bring the pad close to the PC? Personally I just ordered a rotary to hopefully cut down on my "PC at speed 6" operating time.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    hey man, maye you want to get that thread lock like nick got. i had a bad experience (it was my fault), but i would think, the wobbling is a perquisite of the threads falling apart. just wanted to make sure you guys dont experience anything bad.
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I`ll be trying my Edge 2000 pads on Thursday/Friday. I`ll use the ThreadLock just to be safe. Afterwards I`ll post my review with some pictures.

JLM

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by zesty-man
    hey man, maye you want to get that thread lock like nick got. i had a bad experience (it was my fault), but i would think, the wobbling is a perquisite of the threads falling apart. just wanted to make sure you guys dont experience anything bad.
    Thanks for the heads up. Without going into full detail, I am fully aware the Loctite is needed. Those that choose not to use it are "rolling the dice" so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only tried the E2K DA pads with the 6" counterweight. I also find the vibration to be a bit harsh above speed 4.5. However, the connection system and the quality of the foam are quite good. I trust that Aaron and his folks are working hard to find a remedy for the vibration issue. In the meantime, I plan to use the E2K system for much of my light polishing and sealant application tasks. If I need to do some higher speed buffing, I will switch to a velcro plate and pads. I`m also seriously considering learning how to use a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered a Makita 9227
    Aaron actually kinda talked me into. He had the "The PC is not really meant to correct paint" talk with me :lol
    I`m tired of stuggling for hours to remove even minor swirls with DACP, cutting pad and the PC at hand numbing speed.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wifehatescar
    I just ordered a Makita 9227
    Aaron actually kinda talked me into. He had the "The PC is not really meant to correct paint" talk with me :lol
    I`m tired of stuggling for hours to remove even minor swirls with DACP, cutting pad and the PC at hand numbing speed.
    That`s the model I`m considering too. I don`t normally need the corrective action of a rotary since I mainly just work on my own well maintained cars. However, I periodically detail cars for friends and family which sometimes requires more buffing power. Just the other day, I tried to fix the damage from a "parking lot encounter" on my neighbor`s car. While I got 90% of the marks off with several passes of my PC, I think I could have addressed that last 10% with a rotary. If I decide to give the rotary a try, I will definitely purchase a set of the E2K rotary pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone up for a Makita 9227 Group Buy?
    Nick Carberry

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Nickc0844
    Anyone up for a Makita 9227 Group Buy?
    If the price is right, count me in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to the Group Buy I started
    Makita Group Buy
    Nick Carberry

Post Thanks / Like
    How have the results been for y`all this last week? It`s rained here 22/24 days OUCH!
    Nick Carberry

Thread Information