In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Showing Customers Test Panels

Just had an idea:

Has anyone considered showing customers test panels of different finish options?

If you had a small section of a body panel from a scrap yard divided into three sections and finished with 1. a one step wax, 2. a paint cleaner, swirl mark remover, polish and carnuba, and 3. a paint cleaner, swirl mark remover, polish and a sealer.

It would be a great way to upsell the premium exterior details.

You could even do the same with vinyl or tires, I guess. Show the difference between 303, #40 and lexol etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about doing this myself, this seems like a good idea. Do this and see how it works.

Also, this gives practice on different colors and varies conditions of paint.

Eric

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good, but I would consider not doing it because, not every paint is the same. Your board wouldn`t necessarily be accurate as to what your clients paint would look like. My inclination would be for you to be the best resource for info to your client to help them choose the best method for them. It also helps you develop a relationship and keeps the "assembly line" feel away from your service.

Great idea, I actually thought about it for 10 minutes before replying. Keep it up and revolutionize this business for us all!!!
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like

different paint

Originally posted by TheCompleteLook
    Your board wouldn`t necessarily be accurate as to what your clients paint would look like. My inclination would be for you to be the best resource for info to your client to help them choose the best method for them.
    Good point, but I think the purpose of the test panel is to show the difference in finishes in relation TO EACH OTHER, not to show exactly what the customers car will look like. Its doubtful that their car will be the same color as the panel anyway.

That`s where we come in; we are the best resource, and the panel is a tool so that when we explain the differences to them, we have something to show them what we mean. In the same way that paint strips at the hardware store show different paint glosses, they look nothing like what your walls will look like but give you an idea of sheen in relation to each other.

I`m probably not going to do this anytime soon, anyway. I`m getting call after call for interior details, what`s up with that? ( My Little Green Machine is gettin` tired. )

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I wish I had the problem of getting call after call, heck I would love for someone to call me wanting to get their car detailed, instead I have to go peddle my services.

But anywho, my main reason for posting is the Little Green Machine. What can you tell me abotu that (PSI, heated or not, best cleaner to use with it, etc.)

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    the Little Green Machine. What can you tell me abotu that (PSI, heated or not, best cleaner to use with it, etc.)
    Well, for the $ it works OK. I don`t know the PSI but shop vacs seem to have more suction. I find that the hot water spray is the best feature on it (get the heated one).

I`ve used it about a dozen times and it already broke once (stopped spraying water, it eventually started again???)

Here`s the process I use, that seems to be working:

1. Vacuum and brush carpets.
    2. Pre-Treat any stains with AutoMagic #8HD (I`m going to try switching to Spot Shot, though)
    3. Spray carpets with #8HD (30:1 ratio)
    4. Wait 10 minutes, and brush
    5. Use little green machine with water only, no chemicals
    6. Go over again with shopvac (I may try to get a clear extractor attachment for the shopvac. What I like about the Green Machine is being able to see when its picking up dirty or clean water)

For about $100, you`re definately getting what you pay for. I actually think its a better solution than just the shop vac, because of hot water spray, but a REAL extractor with more suction would be ideal. If I keep getting interior jobs, I`m going to save for a real extractor.

Your Canadian Connection sean connors's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I have used these panels in the past and have had great success. While explaining to a customer what was entailed in his polish job, he could see exactly what was going to be done. This also helped to add value to the job and the customer could understand why the pricing structure is the way it is.
    WHADDYA MEAN YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTER DOESN`T WORK AFTER WE WASHED THE CAR!!

- Hey, U Missed A Spot - CleanFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a Pro Heat Bissell Green Machine and I like it....Just go by Biff`s suggestions and you`ll walk away with good results...

Thread Information