Post Thanks / Like

Carpets and Extractors

I am wondering how you guys with extractors go about cleaning carpets and seats.

Here is how I do it but for some reason I think I am doing too much work and not letting the extractor do its share.

-Soak Carpets and seats with water.
    -Spray Carpet Shampoo, Spot Remover and light degreaser on carpets.
    -Scrub carpets with brush, carpets foam.
    -Vacuum and spray hot water on carpets (extractor)
    -Vacuum carpets to help dry (extractor)
    Elite Mobile Detailing - Formally SacMotorsports
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I pre-spray the trouble areas of the rugs and mats, and use a brush to loosen up. Then use the extractor on it, that shoudl lift all that is on them. If not then I go back over those areas again and re-work
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Beemerboy that should be all yo need to do. Sounds like you are working to hard!
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Post Thanks / Like
    same here
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpets and Extractors

Originally posted by 02Silverado
    I am wondering how you guys with extractors go about cleaning carpets and seats.

Here is how I do it but for some reason I think I am doing too much work and not letting the extractor do its share.

-Soak Carpets and seats with water.
    -Spray Carpet Shampoo, Spot Remover and light degreaser on carpets.
    -Scrub carpets with brush, carpets foam.
    -Vacuum and spray hot water on carpets (extractor)
    -Vacuum carpets to help dry (extractor)
    First, why do you "soak" the carpets and seats with water? That first step is rather foreign to me.

Your second step would be good if you are seeking a job as a mixologist but for cleaning fabric, like carpets and seats, all you should use is 1) a spot treatment and if needed 2) a shampoo. The degreaser should not be used with carpets.

I did a Landcruiser Saturday and never once used a shampoo but rather just my "303" pre-spot cleaner, a light brushing and then my extractor. Ran a MF towel over the area and that was it. My last step before handing the keys over was a light vacuum.

So yes you are doing way too much work!

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to hi-jack the thread, but do you guys ever have a problem with wicking? By wicking I mean, it looks good after the extraction but then as it dries the dirt comes up to the surface.....:huh

Does that mean I am:
    1) Using too much water?
    2) or just not extracting enough?

I`ve extracted until it looks like the water is clear, but maybe I`m just not extracting quite long enough.

Thanks to any help guys.
    nelj

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by nelj_25
    sorry to hi-jack the thread, but do you guys ever have a problem with wicking? By wicking I mean, it looks good after the extraction but then as it dries the dirt comes up to the surface.....:huh

Does that mean I am:
    1) Using too much water?
    2) or just not extracting enough?

I`ve extracted until it looks like the water is clear, but maybe I`m just not extracting quite long enough.

Thanks to any help guys.
    nelj

Wicking is natural and it just means that you removed the top portion of the stain but what you can`t see, the dirt or stain still left in the padding or deep in the fibers, has now worked its way to the surface again. I always tell my clients that this may occur and if it does just call me and I`ll come back and clean it once more at no extra charge.

Coffee and tea are notorius for wicking.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, thanks Anthony. It is a coffee stain, I`ll try to clean it again. What would you recommend for me to use?

I used simple green diluted for the first pass.

nelj

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by nelj_25
    OK, thanks Anthony. It is a coffee stain, I`ll try to clean it again. What would you recommend for me to use?

I used simple green diluted for the first pass.

nelj
    Coffee and tea stains can be real buggers to remove I love the pre spot cleaner put out by "303" but for coffee and tea stains I use a special cleaner designed for those stains. It is made by (I think) a company called "Chem-Spec" and it is called "Spray`N Go".

It works great BUT don`t breath in the vapors when it first starts to attack the stain....not a pleasant experience! It comes in powder form and needs to be mixed up with some warm water and the sprayed on the stain. It does a fantastic job but I am not sure if Irene at Top of the Line sells it any longer. You can call them at 1-800- 533-5743, If she does let me know as I need some more myself

If not then try a local janitorial supply house and tell them what stain you have and if they have a remover?

Take care,
    Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the help Anthony.

Just FYI, I called Top of the Line, and they don`t carry Spray`N Go, but have another chemspec coffee stain removal product. I`ll check a few local places and see what I can turn up.

nelj

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Spray n Go and if you`re in a major city, you can probably get it from a local distributor.

http://www.chemspecworld.com/product...product_id=130
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re: Carpets and Extractors

Originally posted by Anthony Orosco
    First, why do you "soak" the carpets and seats with water? That first step is rather foreign to me.
    I did this to get the carpets wet so that when scrubbing it would foam up then I would extract the foam which had the dirt in it.

Originally posted by Anthony Orosco
    Your second step would be good if you are seeking a job as a mixologist but for cleaning fabric, like carpets and seats, all you should use is 1) a spot treatment and if needed 2) a shampoo. The degreaser should not be used with carpets.

I did a Landcruiser Saturday and never once used a shampoo but rather just my "303" pre-spot cleaner, a light brushing and then my extractor. Ran a MF towel over the area and that was it. My last step before handing the keys over was a light vacuum.

So yes you are doing way too much work!

Anthony
    Thank you for your help Anthony! I have done a couple details with just the extractor and just spot cleaning the carpets and so far they are turning out great. These carpets havent been to bad but so far what I have done are turning out great and the carpet looks a lot healther doing it this way. :cool
    Elite Mobile Detailing - Formally SacMotorsports
    www.elitedetails.com

Thread Information