Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now what?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Now what?

Ok, I now have SSR1, PP, PwC, and Ex. I am looking to do 3 cars. First one is a 2001 silver Civic. Not well maintained prior to me dating the owner. Some light hiarline scratching. Second car is a 91 red Spirit R/T. Some swirls, nothing really bad. Third is a blue 91 Sunbird. Paint job sucks (I swear I can see brush marks, like they repainted it with a brush from Home Depot). This car doesn`t have to be perfect, but a little more shine wouldn`t hurt. Ex is the last step, preceeded by PwC. What I am confused on is the difference between PP and SSR1. Which would be better for which car? Would a bottle of SSR2 be better to remove the swirls on the red Spirit? I also have Lake Country Pads (yellow cutting, white polishing, and grey/black finishing). What is a comprehensive list of pad/polish combos to achieve different results (i.e. PP/yellow=most aggressive, SSR1/white=mild).

Thanks,
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    The SSR"s are more aggresive than the Pro Polish. Start with the SSR1 that you have and see if it will remove the swirls. If it doesn`t you`ll need the SSR2.

After using the SSR`s you can go to the PP and then the EX. Some skip the PP I think but I don`t skip that step.

I`d use the yellow pad to cut the swirls out and then go to the polishing or finishing pad for the final shine.

You haven`t said what kind of polisher you are using but be careful with the yellow pad and the SSR. If you are using the PC you are pretty safe but still be cautious. Don`t use too much pressure or speed to start. The first rule is do no harm so take it easy to start...light pressure and maybe 3 or 4 speed setting. Then, if all is well, gradually increase the speed and pressure.
    Last edited by JimS; 03-15-2004 at 10:50 AM.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    PP is probably the most versatile in your aresnal - combined with the yellow you should get good swirl removal...I would follow the same method for all three for best results

Pro Polish/Yellow - PC applied @ 5 ~ 5.5 (start at 3 to spread the product working in 3`x2` section then 5~5.5 until the product starts to powder/dissapear) remove by MF and check your results.

For good measure I would follow with SSR1 and the yellow pad (be sure to clean the pad first if you only have the one ). Same method

Once you have those two steps done the rest is easier - if you happy with the results then you can apply PwC with the white pad at 3.5 - the whole car can be done - once you reach then end then you can remove the application with a clean MF towel.

By this stage you should be really happy with the results - if you are looking for any filling ability then you can apply a second coat of PwC by hand (again all over then remove).

Finally using the black pad apply EX to the whole vehicle. Let it sit for 45 mins then wipe off with a clean MF.

I did a similar routine only I applied the PP by hand just to remove any previous products followed with SSR2 - PwC then EX and the results were awesome!
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice. I am using a PC 7424. I think I will start with the PP/yellow pad, and move up to the SSR1 if I need something more aggressive. The swirls are hairline size, but noticeable at angles in the right light. I guess I can play around some to see what give the best results.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a swirly blue Saab you can practice on.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by groebuck
    PP is probably the most versatile in your aresnal - combined with the yellow you should get good swirl removal...I would follow the same method for all three for best results

Pro Polish/Yellow - PC applied @ 5 ~ 5.5 (start at 3 to spread the product working in 3`x2` section then 5~5.5 until the product starts to powder/dissapear) remove by MF and check your results.

For good measure I would follow with SSR1 and the yellow pad (be sure to clean the pad first if you only have the one ). Same method

Once you have those two steps done the rest is easier - if you happy with the results then you can apply PwC with the white pad at 3.5 - the whole car can be done - once you reach then end then you can remove the application with a clean MF towel.

By this stage you should be really happy with the results - if you are looking for any filling ability then you can apply a second coat of PwC by hand (again all over then remove).

Finally using the black pad apply EX to the whole vehicle. Let it sit for 45 mins then wipe off with a clean MF.

I did a similar routine only I applied the PP by hand just to remove any previous products followed with SSR2 - PwC then EX and the results were awesome!
    :yeah I agree with groebuck`s recommendations, except that I would use SSR1 with a polishing pad. I`ll also echo his suggestion to wash the pad very well (if you only have one) before using it to apply PwC. For cars of this age, I would hazard a guess that SSR2 may be a better first step (try with a polishing pad first and step up to a cutting pad if needed).

Post Thanks / Like
    So is PP more aggressive than SSR1? I would think SSR1 would come first, then PP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rockford33
    So is PP more aggressive than SSR1? I would think SSR1 would come first, then PP.
    This topic seems to come up every other day. When applied using identical processes, SSR1 will probably be more aggressive than PP. However, it is easy to vary the abrasiveness of the products by changing your methods of application (machine vs hand, foam vs terry, finishing pad vs polishing pad). SSR1 and PP can be used in either order depending upon the look you are trying to achieve. For a wetter and glossier look, use PP/SSR1. For a clearer and cleaner look, use SSR1/PP.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno - awd weren`t you the one saying PB removed a 4 inch scratch you could feel with your finger with just PP and a terry cloth? - seems pretty powerful to me !
    You have activated my special ability....

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by groebuck
    I dunno - awd weren`t you the one saying PB removed a 4 inch scratch you could feel with your finger with just PP and a terry cloth? - seems pretty powerful to me !
    Yes and she also stated that PP can take on different abilities by the applicator used...ie cotton towel to remove scratches vs foam pad to lightly clean and shine a surface...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve - Maybe we could come up with some Poorboy`s FAQs and post them as "sticky" threads in your forum. What do you think?

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah! FAQ`s and maybe a rotating car show/repair story. You said you had a ton of `em. Give others something to shoot for. Above and beyond!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A FAQ would be great! I see so many contradictions regarding PB`s it`s tough to decide what the "correct" statements are.....
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    What was suggested about using the PP before the SSR1 looked to me like he was trying to use the least aggressive method first and then if that wasn`t enough move up to the SSR1.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really dont think there are any "correct or incorrrect" statements. Everyone does everything a little different and that is why there are so many PB products. There is no set system with PB stuff you can mix and match to your liking, thats the beauty of it. But maybe an application guide or "tips and Tricks" section would work

Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information