Post Thanks / Like

Please criticize my detail!

Hi everyone, i`ve been lurking here for a while, and what a great group! I need a little advice as to if this is the best approach to my vehicle...

My 98 cobra for the first winter had to spend quite a bit of time outside, and was daily driven. As a result, i have the usual scuffs, light scratches, chips, etc. In any case, I`d like to try and get this back to looking good, and i`m wondering how the following system looks to you!

-touch up small chips w/ factory ford touchup, then use langka to smooth
    -wash with dawn
    -claybar vehicle, z-18 with z-7 lubricant
    -wash with dawn
    -meguiars medium cut cleaner #M-0116 (#1) only on areas with scuffs and deeper scratches, used with yellow polish pad and PC7424.
    -meguars DACP #M-8332 on entire vehicle used with yellow polish pad and PC7424.
    -meguiars Swirl Remover #M-0916 (#9) on entire vehicle used with yellow polish pad and PC7424.
    -wash with dawn
    -zaino z-5 polish w/ zfx additive/accelerator, used with soft finish pad and PC7424. repeat 1-2 times as needed, wait 24 hours between coats.
    -zaino z-2 polish, w/ zfx additive/accelerator, used with soft finish pad and PC7424. repeat 3-4 times as needed, no need to wait between coats.

After all this, i`m going to get a clearbra on the front, to help avoid at least some of the rockchips that come from all the sand and gravel on the road.

How does all this look? I`m particularly concerned about fillers, but none of the megs products i listed say that they contain them...

Any comments or criticisms are welcome - thanks in advance!
    -KB
    700R4 behind a small-block ford
    -1973 Supercharged Bronco & 1998 Supercharged Cobra

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kincade

I can`t help you on all that Z stuff, but why don`t you save on Dawn (3 times?) as you are going to polish and all? Use a car shampoo! And you may as-well skip the wash after claying and usually also after polishing.
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jgv
    Hi Kincade

I can`t help you on all that Z stuff, but why don`t you save on Dawn (3 times?) as you are going to polish and all? Use a car shampoo! And you may as-well skip the wash after claying and usually also after polishing.
    You`re probably right on that. A local detailer told me that you want to wash in between to make sure that the other compounds don`t get mixed into the current stage - but wiping it off would probably remove any that i needed to anyway... Probably doesn`t matter either way...

But I thought most car shampoos left residues, and that`s why dawn was recommended?
    -KB

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not if you use a good shampoo. P21S all the way baby! Except for poor ole me who is forced to use Megs Gold Class, but P21S is the best!
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Boss_429
    Kincade,

I used "Z" for a couple of years. I too would advise that you cut down on the "Dawn" washing. To be honest, I found that the Z7 car wash will strip just about everything but "Z". The Z7 is strong stuff, but a lot safer for the paint. Therefore, just use the Z7 before starting the "Z" process, and you will be fine.

Also, using a polishing pad with the Meguiar`s medium cut polish may not get the job done. The medium cut is pretty tough to work using an orbital. At least get yourself a Meguiar`s maroon cutting pad to try with it. Same thing with the DACP............. cutting pad........ and lots of patience! Be advised, that neither one will likey remove the rock chips, or scratches through the clear-coat.

Lastly, if you`re using the the ZFX with the Z5 or Z2, you can put on up to 3 coats in a day............ no need to wait 24 hours.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll just add a couple things. First, start with the less abrasive product and milder pad on a small section and check your results. Then if needed, move up to the more abrasive pad then product.

If you`re concerned about abrasives mixing during the polish/cleaning stage you can just wipe each panel down (after the product has been buffed off of course) with a 50/50 isopropyl/water solution rather than have to wash the whole vehicle.

Regarding fillers, there are some Meg`s products that contain fillers but I doubt the medium cut cleaner does and I`m almost certain the DACP doesn`t. Medium cut cleaner is pretty strong stuff and like Boss said will most likely take some time to break down with the PC. Be patient and don`t stop too early or the product will not have had a chance to do its job.

Good luck, be sure to treat us to some pics of that great Stang!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Same thing with the DACP............. cutting pad........ and lots of patience!
    Boss, do you always use dacp with a cutting pad? I have working with serious defects, but in general I always use a polishing pad. Seems to leave the surface much nicer many times ready for wax depending on color.

Just wondering.

Boss_429
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi

Boss, do you always use dacp with a cutting pad? I have working with serious defects, but in general I always use a polishing pad. Seems to leave the surface much nicer many times ready for wax depending on color.

Just wondering.
    Yep, I usually do, and then I always follow the DACP, or any fairly abrasive product up with a less abrasive product on a less aggresive pad. In this case, a polishing pad....... and then maybe even a finishing pad.

You`re right though, it could be overkill, but it`s the way I`ve been doing things for years................ hard to break old habits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of the suggestions and help! I`m still very new to this, and it`s a little daunting - all these different products!

I`ve used the DACP and SMR before with very good luck in the megs line - but i`ve never tried the 3m - seems like there are so many products to pick from, and nobody seems to know the line well enough to recommend to me!

Based on all of your recommendations and PM`s, here`s my revision of the detail. Please let me know what you think:

-wash with dawn/Z7
    -meguiars medium cut cleaner #M-0116 (#1) only on areas with scuffs and deeper scratches, used with yellow polish pad and PC7424. Switch to a more aggressive pad if results are not seen (purple?).
    -meguars DACP #M-8332 on entire vehicle used with yellow polish pad and PC7424. Switch to a more aggressive pad if results are not seen (purple?).
    -meguiars Swirl Remover #M-0916 (#9) on entire vehicle used with yellow polish pad and PC7424.
    -3M Perfect It III Finishing Polish on entire vehicle, yellow polish pad and PC.
    -wash with dawn/Z7
    -zaino z-5 polish w/ zfx additive/accelerator, used with megs applicator pad. repeat 3 times, wait 24 hours.
    -zaino z-2 polish, w/ zfx additive/accelerator, used with megs applicator pad, repeat 3 times, wait 24 hours if it needs more coats.

How does this look now?

I`m a little worried that the megs and 3m might contain fillers/oils - but i`m hoping that the Z7 will take most of those out to help the z5/2 adhere.

I`ve also had recommendations for the race glaze, but I can`t find any locally...

BTW - probably a stupid question, but can I wash the orbital pads somehow, or do i need to dispose of them when i`m done? They seem kindof expensive to throw away...
    -KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are two pics of the car, as it stands right now...

Paint isn`t too bad, but it sure took a beating this spring...
    -KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, after reading up today and seeing the results people are getting w/ race glaze, i`ve decided on this course of action!

-wash with dawn/Z7
    -meguiars medium cut cleaner #M-0116 (#1) only on areas with scuffs and deeper scratches, used with yellow polish pad and PC7424.
    -meguars DACP #M-8332 on entire vehicle used with yellow polish pad and PC7424.

-race glaze, leveling compound, with PC and yellow polishing pad

(instead of meguiars Swirl Remover #M-0916 (#9) on entire vehicle used with yellow polish pad and PC7424 and 3M Perfect It III Finishing Polish)

-wash with dawn/Z7
    -zaino z-5 polish w/ zfx additive/accelerator, used with megs applicator pad. do up to 3 coats, wait 24 hours.
    -zaino z-2 polish, w/ zfx additive/accelerator, used with megs applicator pad, do up to 3 coats, wait 24 hours if it needs more coats.

I`m still unsure as to whether or not the z-5 is needed - maybe i`ll just try it on one panel and see if it helps at all. If not, I`ll discontinue it, and if it hurts, i`ll try the leveller again.
    -KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Z5 is a so-so thing.. I personally will not be purchasing anymore of that product.
    Z2 is what really made the difference.

Anyhow..
    Your welcome and it was a pleasure to help you out any way I could have.
    The gas pedal always listens..
    The brake pedal doesn`t...
    Drive`em safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again! I`ll let you know how it turns out...
    -KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

First off leave the DAWN in the kitchen for the dishes! Wash the paint with a car wash made for a cars paint.

While the car is still wet then clay it down. The clay will remove any wax or sealants on the car plus prep the paint.

Try the least abrasive product with the least abrasive pad and go from there. Meguiars #9 has fillers in it so be mindful of that.

I personally would drop the Zaino in favor of AIO and UPP. Alot less work with fantastic results if done on properly preped paint.

Happy Detailing,
    Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Anthony, spend more time on the prep and following up with something easy to use like Klase or UPP.

Thread Information