help, I'm a rock
    Post Thanks / Like

To clay or not to clay....

Hello my brothers and sisters,

At what point do you toss out a clay bar? Is there a number of cars rule or when it stops picking up things....when it looks ugly (lol)....i`m just curious how everyone else does it.

Sean
    "Making the streets a cleaner place to see"

Post Thanks / Like
    I go by what it looks like some seem to be one times useage and others can go a few cars. Hard to say they are so expensive its like gold..LOL
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on how good a job you did when you washed the vehicle. I have used clay bars for years and have found that there is no concrete rule if you feel that it isn`t picking up the crud than try a new bar just as a fail safe. I will recomend that you do keep the old bar and use it on the lower part of the car and save the new one for the hood roof etc. I recently detailed a black pickup and it totaled my bar I had used it on aprox.20 vehicles and was in fair shape but after the truck I threw it in the junk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a thread I started awhile back- seems like everyone has different opinions of what to do, as with most everything in this business -

Clay use

Also, i`m starting to rethink my knee-jerk reaction to reach for the clay before the polish. Poorboy, who knows a little bit about detailing, clays after polishing, which will extend the life of the clay considerably I would think. Not that I would change just to extend the life of the clay, but I still haven`t made up my mind about which method would produce the most micro-scratch free finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had a thought has anyone tried claying a vehicle both before and after? Clay always works best on a waxed surface, I may have to try that on my car. hmmmm never give up!

Shine? That's not a shine Cujo31's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cut mine in half. It really depends on the condition of the paint as to how long the bar will actually last. I had a bad batch of Pinnacle where using the bars with the Pinnacle QD I went thru 3 bars on a Mercedes!! The QD was eating the bars like it was nothing. I tried my other set of bars from them and this time using Miracle Mist from Coats worked like a champ.

Poorboy`s Clay and S&W is another great combo. I will not be using Pinnacle anymore once these last 2 bars are done. Either Poorboy`s or Clay Magic to me are the best bars out there.
    John ( aka Cujo31 )
    Custom Car Care LLC

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention, but Pinnacle is also expensive as heck!
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Thread Information