Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how do you manage to get a customer convinced and explain what you will be doing? Must people seem to think that the ultimate thing their car can get done to is "polish and buffed" around here. If I try explaining it to them, they act as if I am trying to belittle them.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    That`s where salesmanship comes into play. I`ve got my animal magnatisim working for me on my side so it may be a little tougher for the average joe, but all it really takes is a good understanding of what it is you are going to be doing. If you can explain your services and products well then that`s all it takes. The average guy on the street doesn`t know that there is a lot of competition in the detailing world. They are just looking for someone to clean their car for them. Point out what you can do for their car and why it should be done. You need to sell yourself. You need a high level of self confidence to do that. Customers aren`t going to be knocking down your door untill you can show that you can walk the walk. Sales skills can`t be taught over the internet. Its something you learn as you go. Its helpful to have someone show you how its done, but not necessary. I grew up in a family that was always into sales so it sort of came naturally for me. I expect I`d have had a lot harder job of it had I not grown up in that environment.

They won`t feel belittled if you just tell them what you can do and why it will be benificial to them. Don`t try and sell the whole package all at once. Maybe just sell them a basic wash and interior detail first and then clay their trunk as a bonus so they can actually feel the advantage of it. Maybe polish out one door so they can see the difference it will make. I like to do just the hood because its something they stare at the whole time they are driving and it makes them think about it. You`ll find ways of selling yourself and your products. You just have to be creative. There are no rules in sales that can`t be bent. That is why sales is the highest paying profession in the world.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, I should have an intresting Lincoln LS coming up. The guy told me no rush, because I told him that I would like to do the best I can, so I would like to get my "polisher" (PC), and get acustomed to it, so that I can do a better job on his car than I can by hand.

In order to keep him intrested, I am going to do a small section of his car on Saturday night with PBs products (assuming they came in today, im still at work right now) and I will do the whole thing. S&W, Clay, SSR2, SSR1, Pro Polish, EX. I will do the hood perhaps, just so he can see the full effects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a good idea Tass do a half and half Its great to see the Before and After and Half and Half Type showcases he will definelty come back after that.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well that showcase is not going to happen. Steve didnt get my order out till Tuesday, so its not going to get here till Monday, DANGIT!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan doing a section of a car different than another is a bad ..no really bad idea...

Let`s go back to the beginning here....you want to build a customer base...you being young and people not giving you credit for abilities you know you have is your first problem.

You need to start by offering just hand car washing...$20 and that`s it...do a quick vacuum and wipe the dash and windows in and out. After they see what a nice job you do you hand them a brochure explaining all the different services you can provide and an Approx. amount it will cost..as Fuzz said set yourself a hourly rate in your mind and work from there.

You want to go from kid to 20 year veteran in a moment..even the best college baseball player goes directly to the Rookie league not the majors...the ones who are the exceptions are really exceptions...

I think you can grow a nice side biz, but you have to give it time and let people get use to you and then refer you more biz..

I hope this helps and yes.it went out Tuesday..but if you livd where awd330 does you could have just met me
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    People wont even pay that around here. I want to detail cars, not just wash them. There are plenty of people around that do fine, but I just cant seem to figure out where they are getting there people from!

Boss_429
    Tass,

Well, I agree, and disagree with Poorboy on this one a bit.

First, I would agree that you should NOT do different panels of a customers vehicle with different products. To test on your own vehicle.............. that fine. You want a nice consistent shine on a customers vehicle. Besides, you already have a good eye for what products look good, and are easy to work with................ stick with them.

Now, while I agree that one can`t go from "rookie" to "all star" overnight, one can become very, very good at this stuff in a short period of time. After all, it`s not rocket science! Once you develop an eye for what a paint finish needs, and you`ve acquired good tools, products, and have learned the correct processes and procedures to use them................. you`re on your way. Yes, it takes a little time, but you`ll be surprised at what you can do provided you put you mind into doing it right!

I do agree that you shouldn`t rush into it............ if you want it bad enough........... it will come!

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I admire your spunk and enthusiasm but you must remember grasshopper you must crawl before you can walk. You need to build a base of customers with trust and service.
    If you walk up to some Joe and say, "Hey that detail shop is screwing you by doing a sorry job on your car. I`ll do it right for the same price (or more)" you`ll get a lot of `yeah right` responses. People do not know that silly-cones on the dash is not a good thing. People don`t know what the hell glaze, polish, and carnuba are. You could put Nu-Finish on their car and they`d be tickled. Gary Kouba has a great idea, he does detailing seminars to educate people. A few DIY`er will go home and detail their own cars but many think, `dude that`s way too hard` and be happy to shell out the dough to let a pro do it. Again you face the age issue here, but play a different crowd. Anybody at school have nice cars? I know they don`t have a lotta money but most of them have parents right? Selectively offer some details at cost. You get to perfect your skills while someone else foots the bill for supplies. Also target certain populations with Steve`s idea of hand car washes. Doctors, Lawyers, PHARMACISTS (these folks are often young, have nice cars, and have disposable cash) are great examples. Approach them with an attitude of `hey, I know you`re a very busy person (plays to their ego) and I`d like to help out. I`d like to offer my services.` If they`re not interested give them a card and say, `If you change your mind, here`s my card`. You can get card stock at any office depot for cheap and put your web address on it. Hit them with a cheap service like the handwash. $20 is a small risk for someone and they are more likely to try it. BUST YOUR A$$ and do a bang up job. Give `em a little something extra and leave your brochure in their car. It`s less pushy. A dealership did this for me and I liked it (I hate salespeople!!!). Make sure it includes the $20 hand wash you did so they keep coming back. I think it was OnTheSpot that was going to office buildings and offering the building manager or office manager a free detail (great bribe to be allowed to work in the parking lot!). You do it in the parking, put signs up, and hand out brochures to anyone who asks what you`re doing. Never be afraid to mention that you`re working your way through school and be humble!
    OKAY THAT`S TOO LONG. SORRY!
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    People wont even pay that around here. I want to detail cars, not just wash them. There are plenty of people around that do fine, but I just cant seem to figure out where they are getting there people from!
    Dan how many of these detailers are 17?

I disagree a little with the Boss. only that yes working on your own vehicle and getting a great result is not always transferable to a customers car. Problems arise from vehicle to vehicle and experience is what really helps out in this situation.

There is no disgrace in washing cars...I was partners in a body shop and part of my job, making 100+k a year, was to clean and wash the vehicles, inside and out. Did I feel a little stupid at times, yes...but it was part of my job as well as estimating, taping when the painter needed help and even just answering phones.

Another example I can give you is when i moved back to NY after selling out to my partner, I found a gas station with a bay that was not often used and offered to detail the owners cars for detailing space...i put a sign out front ...hand wash $10... it led to many detailing jobs very quickly....imagine 30 years old and doing $10 washes.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Boss_429
    Originally posted by Poorboy

Dan how many of these detailers are 17?

I disagree a little with the Boss. only that yes working on your own vehicle and getting a great result is not always transferable to a customers car. Problems arise from vehicle to vehicle and experience is what really helps out in this situation.

There is no disgrace in washing cars...I was partners in a body shop and part of my job, making 100+k a year, was to clean and wash the vehicles, inside and out. Did I feel a little stupid at times, yes...but it was part of my job as well as estimating, taping when the painter needed help and even just answering phones.

Yep, I would agree on that............. the most difficult part is developing an "eye" and a "feel" for a great finish.

As for washing cars............ that`s your opportunity to get those detaling jobs!

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think first I need to offer a clarification. This person with the Lincoln LS wants me to detail his car, but kinda wants to see what I can do first. So I am going to demonstrate by doing the entire hood (ill S&W the whole car, but only lay down the elbow grease on the hood). I guestimate 30-45 minutes for the entire thing, and I will be getting questions the whole time (lots of people will be around where I am doing it). I can talk to them while I work and condition the paint. It jsut needs some contamination removed, and I think that claying and SSR2 will do the job.

Plus I am REALLY anxious to start using this stuff. I might be calling Steve asking for a few 55 gallons drums of S&W and Natural Look (that stuff smells so good, I really wanna drink it).

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you want to do it full scale or just as a Hobbie. ?
    www.exotiXboard.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Full scale is impossible. I am still in high school, this next year I have:

1. Science Seminar where I will be designing a rocketless way to launch vehicles into space. And im doing it all from scratch.

AND

2. AP Calculus BC, need a really say more?

So I will be dedicating a large portion of time to my school work, plus I have a job on Saturdays. Mainly I want to get a customer base that I can work on from time to time, but right now, I cannot get anyone. I was hoping to detail all summer long, but that only results in ONE solitary car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know how it is with school around and Detailing in the winter isnt very fun. Summer is almost over but you can still get some good details in thru the fall and get some customers over that time also.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information